F/A-18E Load-out

eng

I believe the location of the target is known/predetermined by the aircrew prior to takeoff. GBU-15 has a mode where the bomb can be released at low altitude and then makes a climb to a higher altitude. At the apex of it's trajectory, the WSO acquires the target in the TV display and then can manually guide the bomb to impact or select lockon, and the weapon will guide itself.

Is this loadout realistic? 10 GBU-38s on a single seater Super Hornet on a CAS mission where targets are marked and informed with the use of smoke grenades and other visual aids relying on landmarks. Note there are no pods on the jet. Should there be? So basically, this jet took of without predetermined targets and with no coordinates loaded into the bombs and no pods. Can the bombs still be used on "targets of opportunity" and on CAS?

I don't want to be facetious but is there any copy/paste involved?

IMG-20190119-214947.jpg

On 1/17/2019 at 9:49 PM, Slater said:

I believe the location of the target is known/predetermined by the aircrew prior to takeoff. GBU-15 has a mode where the bomb can be released at low altitude and then makes a climb to a higher altitude. At the apex of it's trajectory, the WSO acquires the target in the TV display and then can manually guide the bomb to impact or select lockon, and the weapon will guide itself.

Unless it's a shoulder toss bombing, I really don't think the GBU-15 will go "up" unless you are talking about the propulsion sometimes attached to it (AGM-130?). So evidently, this weapon requires a WSO. You see, I've read on the internet that the A-7 can carry all "first line ordinance used by US/USAF/NATO" but that does not include WSO required weapons so... I'm learning that some weapons or weapon modes need a WSO.

Incidentally, what jet is this... An F-5???

gbu15_4.jpg

I understand the data link pod is only needed for manual maneuvering of the bomb, (WSO not included).

But then, there's the AGM-62 Walleye glide bomb and the GBU-8 that are similar to the GBU-15 but can be launched from what I presume is a single seater A-7.

38720644-sick-old-man-suffering-from-hea

On 1/19/2019 at 2:45 PM, Air Hockey Propellers said:

Unless it's a shoulder toss bombing, I really don't think the GBU-15 will go "up" unless you are talking about the propulsion sometimes attached to it (AGM-130?). So evidently, this weapon requires a WSO. You see, I've read on the internet that the A-7 can carry all "first line ordinance used by US/USAF/NATO" but that does not include WSO required weapons so... I'm learning that some weapons or weapon modes need a WSO.

Incidentally, what jet is this... An F-5???

gbu15_4.jpg

I understand the data link pod is only needed for manual maneuvering of the bomb, (WSO not included).

But then, there's the AGM-62 Walleye glide bomb and the GBU-8 that are similar to the GBU-15 but can be launched from what I presume is a single seater A-7.

That is an F-4E Phantom.

The GBU-15 requires a WSO to operate the data-link in the "indirect" mode, that is the one described by Slater. This is the most common mode. The direct mode does not require the data-link as the bomb is locked onto a target in view before being dropped.

In any case the GBU-15 has always been carried by two-seat types (F-15E, F-111, F-4E) so both modes are always possible.

The GBU-15 was never used by the US Navy so the A-7E was never cleared for this weapon. Same for the GBU-8. The A.7 did indeed use the AGM-62 Walleye, a weapon that does not require a WSO. The Walleye just requires being locked onto a target and this is done through the seeker of the bomb itself.

The A-7 could also carry another TV guided weapon and that was the AGM-65 Maverick, a type that was used by many single seat aircraft.

A single reference covering all aspects of guided weapons is not really available but I suggest this website that covers all missiles and guided bombs in US service. Information is not always up to date but is still IMHO the best website around of the type

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/index.html

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:49 AM, Slater said:

TV guided glide weapons have always been difficult to employ on longer range attacks.  The main issue is that any course corrections enroute bleed off energy and reduce range, so the weapon is left to "weathervane" as long as possible during its flight.  That means whoever is dropping needs to have a good idea of the winds at the target, so they know which way the weapon will be pointing and have done extensive study of not only the target, but also the area around the target which the weapon will probably be pointing at when the lock on process is started.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:45 AM, Air Hockey Propellers said:

Is this loadout realistic? 10 GBU-38s on a single seater Super Hornet on a CAS mission where targets are marked and informed with the use of smoke grenades and other visual aids relying on landmarks. Note there are no pods on the jet. Should there be? So basically, this jet took of without predetermined targets and with no coordinates loaded into the bombs and no pods. Can the bombs still be used on "targets of opportunity" and on CAS?

They're called CSWs (Coordinate Seeking Weapons) for a reason.  Coordinates would have to be input either preflight or during flight.

Regards,

Murph

• 2 months later...

I noticed that the Super bugs only retain 2 underwing pylons lately. removing the inner ones. Also only loadouts are a mix of  GBU-38 and GBU-31s. Currently looking for GBU-31s  using BLU-117s (three yellow stripes) for a 1/32 super bug project. Any ideas?

US-Navy-021112-N-9593-M-034-Aviation-Ord

190102-N-OM854-0125.jpg

Edited by mouldingo

On 1/19/2019 at 9:45 PM, Air Hockey Propellers said:

I don't want to be facetious but is there any copy/paste involved?

IMG-20190119-214947.jpg

170607-N-FE442-006.JPG170618-N-FE442-144.JPG

On a F/A-18F...10 GBU-31s JDAMS

Edited by mouldingo