Modern RAF Vehicles

Evalman

I hope this is posted in the right place! There have been a few requests for information about RAF Ground Euipment and Vehicles in the 'Military Aircraft' section, it seems the main problem is that many Aircraft Modellers are unaware of 'what is out there' and what vehicle or piece of ground equipment would be appropriate to display with a particular aircraft. I recently recieved the latest BW Models catalogue after losing touch with them a few years ago was surprised at just how many items suitable for 1/72 scale aircraft modellers are available. Other companies such as Flightpath also produce some first rate items. Although all BW products are 1/76 scale, they do not look out of place when displayed alongside 1/72 scale aircraft.

Looking through the BW catalogue, the first item on my 'want' list was the TACR2A (Truck, Aircraft Crash Rescue, Mark 2a) based on a six wheel Range Rover chassis. The TACR2a was introduced into RAF service during 1988/89, they replaced an older version of the TACR2 which had served from about 1977 and were rapidly wearing out by the late 80s. Most RAF airfields had at least one of these vehicles and they were often seen driving around; their main role was to be first on the scene of any aircraft incident and initiate the rescue of aircrew before larger vehicles arrived.

TACR2a's were usually painted red, as with this one at RAF St Mawgan, however a few (destined to accompany Harriers when on deployment) were painted green or a green/black disruptive pattern.

BM09AY87SMfeb96.jpg

The BW model looks to be an accurate depiction of the original, and with the exception of the vacformed windscreen and other glazing goes together easily with Superglue.

BWTacr2a.jpg

The vehicle in the background is a Thornycroft Nubian Major Mark 9. These large trucks were introduced into RAF sevice during the mid 1970's and were finally replaced by the Carmichael MFV during 2000/2001. They were a common sight on most RAF airfields for 25 years, painted red when first delivered but soon toned down to green with standard yellow stripes. During the mid 1980's they were repainted in their original red colours. The Royal Navy also used the Mark 9 from the late 70's until about 1990.

BM28AJ49SMfeb96.jpg

BW Models produce the Mark 9 but I attempted to build the Capricorn Miniature version back in the mid 1990's, the first image shows a mini version of the real 28 AJ 49 (above) as seen at RAF St Mawgan during the mid 1990's.

PB3.jpg

The following show two vehicles in the earlier green / yellow stripe scheme. I am not sure if the Caprcorn Miniature kit is still available but the BW kit should produce a similar result.

PB1.jpg

pb2.jpg

If this is useful, I will cover some more RAF and RN vehicles.

Edited by Evalman

Very good post, had a go in the R Rover and it was a pig on corners as it wasn't well baffled and the load used to shift,

At Halton we came down the hill one day to see the back end of the MK9 sticking up out of the underpass as it had rolled out of the fire section, down the slope through the fence and dropped into it Lol

Have you looked at the Del Prado fire engines of the world series. They have at least half a dozen airfield tenders mostly in 1/72 scale. My favourite is the Oshkosh in (civilian) dayglow yellow. They sometimes come up on e-bay, just search for 'Del Prado fire'. The range includes about 150 models, some are easier to get than others.