Roden's 1:72-Albatros Oeffag D.III

alex

I almost forgot to put the second kit online... well, as the title says, it's an Albatros D.III built by Oeffag. The model so far looks ok, detailing is generally good, but the plastic is terrybly soft...

1-rumpf.jpg

The inside of the fuselage. Paint used was Revell Aqua Color, ochre

3-rumpfholz.jpg

After a bit of oil colour, it looks finally like wood.

2-motor.jpg

The engine looks nice, but it had a square hole, probalby to facilitate demoulding. It has been closed. Also, I cut off the inlet manifold, since it's easier to paint.

5-motor3.jpg

The finished engine. Quite happy with it, there is not much to see anyway when it's hidden in the fuselage. The two tubes are for the machine guns, they were buried within the fuselage, and not on top of it.

7-sitz.jpg

The seat, belt has beed made with tamiya tape, painted with radome tan.

8-rumpf.jpg

Cockpit ready to be hidden behind the cover. These were the days, when an aicraft had some wings, an engine and that's it...

Alex

• 2 months later...

The work went on. But honestly, I don't know if I get to the end before the GB is over. There's too much to do outside the hobby room.

The whole aircraft (wings and fuselage) got a layer of gunze "Sail Colour" acrylic.

To represent the ribs shining through the fabric, I covered the ribs with small stripes of Tamiya Tape. Then, I airbrushed a light layer of dark brown. Unfortunately, it didn't look the way I wanted. Why? I wanted to make darker only the region close to the ribs. Since I had the nozzle of the airbrush too far away, I sprayed the whole area, and not just the one close to the ribs. More than that, the whole thing was looking a bit like a large zebra. So, with another layer of sail colour, I reduced the effect a bit...

13-rippen2.jpg

The top wing has the ribs already highlighted, whereas the lower wing is plain sail colour. Just to show the difference.

14-rippen3.jpg

That's how it looked after the correction.

15-nachbearbeitet.jpg

The next big thing, the woodgrain-effect. It is really as easy as it looks, believe and try it! Firstly, the whole fuselage got a layer of dark brown oil colour.

16-oelfarbe1.jpg

After some 15 minutes, I started to remove the superflous colour with a flat, hard, dry brush, unless the fuselage had the right shade. it is still a tad too dark for my taste. I guess, it was because the flat acrylic base retains some of the oil colour. Maybe I could have removed more colour, if I applied a layer of Klear after the "Sail Colour" base. As you can see, a wing broke off...

17-oelfarbe2.jpg

The finished wood colour with the highlighted ribs. I like it now ;)

18-oelfarbe3.jpg

Alex

• 1 month later...

The decals have been applied (this happened actually one month ago, but I'm short on spare time, and documentation is not on top of the priorities...). They are much better than on the Roden Ship's Camel. They are very thin, and adhered well.

20-decals1.jpg

21-decals2.jpg

I hope to finish it til the end of the group build, there are just two week working time left for me (holydays, next week military service, and so forth...). Next step is to put some matt warnish on the wings, and then the rigging...

Alex

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

the fins are now glued onto the fuselage, and I airbrushed some semi-gloss varnish.

23-leitwerke.jpg

Next step was to glue the interplane struts. The outer ones are OK (have to, since there are only 3 glueing points...), but the inner ones are a pain. They are much too long, so I had to chop them to size. Still fiddling around, but I hope it will turn out well. You can imagine the missing part, the rear two should end in a single point.

22-streben.jpg

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

to do some decent rigging on such a small airplane, you need something to handle the aircraft, without risk to break it. In my case, I use a box of styrofoam (is it called like that in England?). The plane is fixed with two rubber bands, which are placed over two toothpicks.

23-verspannung1.jpg

I start to knot some fishing line on the wire loop, and secure it with some CA glue.

24-verspannung2.jpg

Then, I fiddle it to the second wire loop. No glue here.

25-verspannung3.jpg

Then, on of the most funny jobs: put the fishing line through a bit of stretched Q-Tip (which is shown by the arrow)

26-verspannung4.jpg

The result: you can see the three wire loops, and in between the Q-Tip, which is supposed to represent the turnbuckle (blue arrow)

27-verspannung5.jpg

Then the defintely most funny part: put the fishing line again through the Q-Tip, but in the other direction.

28-verspannung6.jpg

That's what it looks like. It just needs some glue to secure it. Make sure the wires are correct, i.e. don't interfere with each other, before you glue it.

29-verspannung7.jpg

With one finger and some tweezers, you stretch the line, with the other, you apply some ultra thin CA on the turnbuckle.

30-verspannung8.jpg

Et voilĂ , you cut away what's too much, and you have a nice representation of a rigging. It's really not that hard, the only problem is the tiny Q-Tip... :)

31-verspannung9.jpg

Alex

• Like 1