Double Jag Build.......

ghaynes

I may be mad and there is a possibility that this hasn't been done before but I promised Mike I would do a WIP in another Jaguar thread on Britmodeller. :)

My plan is to build the Airfix 1/48 scale Jaguar in conjunction with re-building and restoring a real Jaguar. The model will be built in the same markings as the 1/1....GR1A XX741/EJ of 6 Sqn.

I will be going to town on the Airfix kit...as you can see here:

GEDC0185.jpg

The item in the red box is a turned stainless pitot probe.

Here is the other Jag: :)

IMG_5008z.jpg

Work carried out so far on the 1/48 includes removing the rudder in order to fit the damper, remove the undercarriage doors and open up various intakes and vents on the fuselage:

GEDC0206.jpg

Work carried out on the 1/1 includes re-fitting the wing. This was done on Saturday:

GEDC0137x.jpg

GEDC0142a.jpg

GEDC0153a.jpg

Hopefully there will be some more updates by the end of the week! :cheers:

Graham

Edited by ghaynes

Very interesting project - both of them! That's a gaggle of aftermarket supplies; good luck with it brother. I will be watching with interest.

The Bucc decals arrived safe and sound over the weekend. Thanks very much again for those; you were very kind to send me the sheet and on your dime to top it off - above and beyond. Thank you - Jack

hello just a few things i noticed.

on xx741 the main wheel is around 4mm to high,looking at the photo

the grey is all wrong it should be fs4583343

the sit of the main wing is at least 0.1mm off centre

what were the company thinking when they made this aircraft ????????

sorry couldnt help myself after reading some threads :speak_cool:

No problem Jack. Glad they arrived safely.

Regards.

Graham

Very interesting project - both of them! That's a gaggle of aftermarket supplies; good luck with it brother. I will be watching with interest.

The Bucc decals arrived safe and sound over the weekend. Thanks very much again for those; you were very kind to send me the sheet and on your dime to top it off - above and beyond. Thank you - Jack

I think tonight I will start to detail the kit nosegear bay, using the photos I've taken of XX741 below. The first three shots were taken by laying on my back and photographing directly up into the bay. Starting aft with the splash guard and moving foward to the nosegear leg. It needs a damn good clean in there! :analintruder:

GEDC0154.jpg

GEDC0159.jpg

GEDC0158.jpg

The following two shots are of the port wall of the bay. For some reason I didn't take any of the starboard wall. Must rectify that next time I'm in the hangar!

GEDC0161.jpg

GEDC0162.jpg

Hope these will help any fellow Jag builders! :)

Regards.

Graham

Edited by ghaynes

Hi Howard,

Do you know the sheet number?

Had a look on Hannants website at the few Modeldecal sheets remaining and couldn't find any with XX741 on them.

Cheers.

Graham

hmm, wasn't the 1/1 jaguar featured on one of the latter modeldecal sheets?

good stuff alround. at least i have a better idea of what main color to paint the wheel bay next time i make a jag!

thanks.

Excellent start - and some great reference pic's too!! Modeldecal set 115 does have 6 Sqn markings though it was of course only available in 1/72nd scale. As for the real "XX741" I would assume that the "04" code relates to a previous existence with 226 OCU? As 6 Sqn used "Ex" codes, and XX741 was "EJ" (for a time at least) and 226OCU used numerals......

Edited by Bill Clark

I'm looking forward to this Graham. Reminds me of when we dismantled the Sea Harrier at Yeovilton and re-assembling it back at the museum in Cov. It was bloody cold as well which didn't help. As for the kit, you sure you got enough room on there for all those bits?? ;)

Hi Bill,

XX741 ended it's days briefly, with 226 OCU. The 6 Sqn markings were retained except for the 'EJ' code which was overpainted with '04'.

Regards.

Graham

Excellent start - and some great reference pic's too!! Modeldecal set 115 does have 6 Sqn markings though it was of course only available in 1/72nd scale. As for the real "XX741" I would assume that the "04" code relates to a previous existence with 226 OCU? As 6 Sqn used "Ex" codes, and XX741 was "EJ" (for a time at least) and 226OCU used numerals......

• 1 month later...

Didn't realise it has been so long since I updated this thread!

Full scale Jag is progrssing slowly due to other Museum tasks taking priority. Some of you who saw the thread in the 'Real Aviation' section will know the issue I had with the canopy latch mechanism breaking. Not had a chance to source a spare as yet.

Have progressed more with the 1/48 version and will post photos later.

Thought you guys would like to see what the 1:1 scale instrument panel coaming looks like, devoid of all the equipment which usually sits on top.

GEDC0269a.jpg

GEDC0268a.jpg

More later.

Graham

A quick update on where I am with the 1/48 build.

Nose gear bay has been detailed and weathered; main gear bays boxed in and ready for detailing; gun blast tubes drilled out prior to fitting some brass tubes; various vents and intakes drilled out; flaps and slats removed in readiness for the paragon items. Have added part of the rudder damper to the fin as well. The gear bays have been painted zinc chromate but the colour looks really odd in the photos! :confused:

GEDC0306.jpg

GEDC0307.jpg

GEDC0312.jpg

GEDC0313.jpg

GEDC0310.jpg

Regards.

Graham

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update from me.

First the Airfix Jag..

Flaps and slats added. Given it a shot of Halfords primer to look for blemishes prior to re-scribing and adding extra detailing.

GEDC0357.jpg

GEDC0365.jpg

GEDC0360.jpg

GEDC0362.jpg

On to the real thing! Have spent the last few weeks re-building the cockpit. All is going well so far but there is still a lot to do! :huh:

GEDC0352.jpg

GEDC0355.jpg

Main panels so far. A lot more instruments etc. to re-fit. This photo was taken just after I re-fitted the HUD.

GEDC0346.jpg

Port side console awaiting the remainder of its equipment to be re-fitted...

GEDC0351.jpg

Starboard side console complete :frantic:

GEDC0345.jpg

That's all for now.

Regards.

Graham

What a great thread! I am very impressed with your work on both builds, thanks for sharing those lovely detail pics with us. I have two Jag's in the stash so I shall watch this with great interest.