Interior Colours For Bea Dragone Rapide

rossm

I want to build a Westpoint Dragon Rapide as used between St.Just and the Isles of Scilly. They were ex BEA aircraft and as the exterior scheme stayed the same apart from the titles I guess the interior didn't change.

Does anyone know the colours ?

Thanks in advance,

Ross

Hi Ross

I don't know for sure about Rapides, but early BEA Viscount interiors were themed on BEA red and grey.

I have a B&W photo of Rapide G-AGSH in BEA service at St.Just in 1962 and the passenger seats appear dark leather (the tone matches the cheatline), while the interior of the door is a lighter mid-tone. I would guess therefore BEA red/burgundy seats with mid-grey cabin interior.

Coincidentally, G-AGSH is preserved at Old Warden (alongside the Shuttleworth collection), and has been restored to period BEA colours. It appears to sport BEA red seats (based on the web photos I've seen).

As you say, to be of use you have to assume that in Westpoint service the BEA trim remained unaltered. Given that all they appear to have done externally was to have stuck a 'Westpoint' sticker over the word 'European', this would appear to be a safe bet!

Sorry I can't be more definitive, but hope this may be of some help.

Cliff

Hi Ross

I don't know for sure about Rapides, but early BEA Viscount interiors were themed on BEA red and grey.

I have a B&W photo of Rapide G-AGSH in BEA service at St.Just in 1962 and the passenger seats appear dark leather (the tone matches the cheatline), while the interior of the door is a lighter mid-tone. I would guess therefore BEA red/burgundy seats with mid-grey cabin interior.

Coincidentally, G-AGSH is preserved at Old Warden (alongside the Shuttleworth collection), and has been restored to period BEA colours. It appears to sport BEA red seats (based on the web photos I've seen).

As you say, to be of use you have to assume that in Westpoint service the BEA trim remained unaltered. Given that all they appear to have done externally was to have stuck a 'Westpoint' sticker over the word 'European', this would appear to be a safe bet!

Sorry I can't be more definitive, but hope this may be of some help.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, that's good enough for me,

Ross