Where would i find

SHAR67

Hi all

could anyone help me,im looking for a 1/48 Italeri Tornado F3,i just went out and brought an Airfix one today not knowing what to expect in the ways of how the kit looks and fits.Well i have never had either kit before now,and the Airfix kit is a bit crap to say the least but modellers we are and if need be i will do my upmost with it.But i would like the chance to compare it with the only other 1/48 kit of its kind so if anyone can help it would be most appreciated.

Cheers Clive.

Edited by Mike
To make the topic title a bit more enlightening

I've been looking for an Italeri F-3 Tornado for ages, they occasionally come up on eBay but they go for quite a bit - £30+.

I'm sure that Italeri will re-release it one day as they have done with their 1/48 IDS Tornado, that one retailing for about £13 so I guess that if/when they re-release it it will also sell for about the same price.

The Airfix F-3 is well known for it's issue with the miss-matched upper and lower fuselage (recessed top and raised bottom panel lines) and that the cockpit tub is from the GR1; I think that there may also be an issue with the length of the front part of the canopy.

However if you can be bothered to re-scribe the whole kit, it goes together quite nicely and you end up with a model aircraft that (to me) looks like a Tornado f-3.

I've just finished mine that I purchased some time ago; I picked it up for about £14 from a show. My only major gripe was with the kit decals as they came apart and/or disintegrated when I was applying them. I'd also been given one and a half other Airfix Tornado F-3's since I purchased mine so I had quite a few spares and extra decals to go at.

F-3oneforweb.jpg

Regards

Karl

Edited by Karl

I've got one or two finishing touches to apply, then I'm going to take a few more pic's.

The main additions to the Airfix kit are: scratch built cockpit and replacement Aeroclub white metal landing gear and ejection seats.

Karl

I've been looking for an Italeri F-3 Tornado for ages, they occasionally come up on eBay but they go for quite a bit - £30+.

They seem to crop up more often on US E-Bay if you keep your eye on there. By the time you've paid for shipping though you'll still be looking at £30+. At least they come around a bit more often though.

Gary.

• 2 weeks later...
Is the Italeri Tornado F.3 kit out of production? I just purchased the Italeri F.3 kit in a local hobby shop here and it was not a second hand kit, as it had recently been delivered from the distributor.

I'm guessing that's the 72nd scale kit you got? The 48th version is long gone from the range, more's the pity :(

In my back bed room...... :devil:

Is there something you'd like to tell us Spike?

I'm guessing that's the 72nd scale kit you got? The 48th version is long gone from the range, more's the pity :(

Nope, it was the 1/48th scale kit that I had purchased. Very nice in comparison to the Airfix F.3. I managed to stop in at that hobbyshop yesterday after my job interview and asked the guy when he had orignally ordered that Italeri F.3 kit. Apparently they must be dusting the shelves as that kit had been sitting there for a couple of years prior to me taking it into protective custody. Also out of production like you said, for much longer than I had originally thought.

I've got a tornado kit in the shed and I thinks it 1:48 scale. It was in my pile of kits to move on so I will look tonight to see what it is, and you let you know.

Craig.

Nope, it was the 1/48th scale kit that I had purchased. Very nice in comparison to the Airfix F.3. I managed to stop in at that hobbyshop yesterday after my job interview and asked the guy when he had orignally ordered that Italeri F.3 kit. Apparently they must be dusting the shelves as that kit had been sitting there for a couple of years prior to me taking it into protective custody. Also out of production like you said, for much longer than I had originally thought.

You lucky, lucky...Don't suppose they had another did they?

Good luck with the job by the way.

whilst the Italeri F3 is a rarity these days, Ebay regularly have them listed but if your hang about, you can pick em up for around £20 - I recently added 2 to my stash, one from the States and one from Australia.

A kit you really need to keep an eye out for all the time rather than just when you need one. Don't understand why Italeri haven't re boxed this since it's withdrawal.

Edited by Gary West

I've got a tornado kit in the shed and I thinks it 1:48 scale. It was in my pile of kits to move on so I will look tonight to see what it is, and you let you know.

Craig.

Cheers Craig,my friend has just lent me his one as so i can compare the IDS with the F3.I now have just cut up the IDS variant.

Cheers Clive.

Well I checked my stash tonight and the one I have is a 1:48 Esci Panavia 200 MRCA Tornado. It's not good though. Looks extremely basic and my one has the decals stuck to the instructions and a crack in the canopy. Not much good really and that's the reason I was going to loose it from my collection.

Craig.

Hi all

here is my cut and shut Italeri 1/48 Tornado F3,it has been a touch and go kind of model getting things to work but i think its paid off.

_MG_7388.jpg

_MG_7389.jpg

_MG_7394.jpg

Just a few things left to do before the painting starts,so im hopeing to get that done over the weekend.

Cheers Clive.