The Armour Section Is Growing

Mike

As the armour section has now taken quite a life of its own, we're thinking of moving it to its own category in the future, so we're looking for guidance on the format.

My first thoughts were as follows:

World War I and/or Interwar (one or 2 forums... undecided as yet)

World War II

Cold War

Modern

Vignettes & dioramas

Work in Progress

Ready for Inspection

Armour chat

Real Armour

Pretty similar to the aircraft layout, but then they were developed around the same time (give or take a decade or so). Any changes or additions you think would enhance things?

• Like 1

With the WWII Sub-forum you may want to further sub-divide into Allied and Axis. A lot of interest in both areas but then a lot of people don't cross-over, me included. I'm only interested in Allied. Just my 2 pence worth!

• Like 1

Personally I like to to divide types rather than period. A WWI truck has more similarities with a 50's truck or maybe even modern than it has to tanks. Artillery even more so. Especially when it comes to weathering.

Or you could make it easy, and do it from the aircraft builder point of view. Stationary, slow moving or fast moving targets.... ;)

Sounds good to me Mike, the idea of an Axis and Allied sub forum is a good one, just like they have on Missing Lynx,

Here are some of their forum titles, I tend to make a bee line for Allied WW2 and ignore the rest.

Announcements

Axis WW2

Allied WW2

Modern

WW1 plus 1920's and 1930's

Cheers

Den

I like the idea of Vignettes & dioramas... I'm not so sure about sectioning up the WWII section into Allied & Axis... some might not cross over, but lots do, and would it be THAT hard to ignore topics that don't float your boat?

I take your point about WWI and interwar, but as to Emhar being the only producers of WWI kits... There are actually a fair few out there if you know where to look. I'm building a Renault FT-17 from WWI by RPM, I have a T-28 interwar tank from Alanger (rare now, I'll grant you). RPM also do a lot of other interwar tanks - quite a few variants of the Vickers light tank/T-26 amongst others. There are also a lot of resin kits of WWI & interwar kits hiding in plain sight :)

First post updated :)

Would Military vehicles not sound better as not all are armoured?

You may also get a lot of overlapping as stuff like the Centurion was a WW2 design that is also coldwar and in its bridgelayer role would just squeeze into modern......... But got to admit the groups listed sound cool, suppose you just slot the vehicle into the time frame you are doing.

Sounds good Mike, but to go against the flow of the above comments I'd advise against splitting into too many sub-sections as some of them could be a bit sparse, and a fuller forum attracts more people.

Just my thoughts,

Dan

You just have to draw a red line between the two: What's the end of the Cold war, and the beginning of the modern era.

I would say that from cessation of hostilities in the Pacific theatre to the pulling down of the Berlin wall... was that 1991, or my mind playing tricks on me?

Taking on board some of the more recent posts above, particularly Dan's comment about sparse groups, would you need to differentiate between Cold War and Modern, after all a lot of stuff developed and produced in the Cold War period is still in common usage, maybe just a post WW2 group would do.

Good idea.

My two pennyworth.

WWI & inter war years

WWII, Allied & Axis (might encourage people to dip a toe in another pond)

Post WWII to present day

Dioramas

Works in Progress

Ready for Inspection

Real Armour

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

My very first impression on logging in is that the AFV section is now dominant over aircraft. While I have no problem with armour per se, the balance of the forum has tended to be towards aircraft and with fewer "armour" posts. No problem with trying to rectify it, but either the armour forum needs to be collapsed a bit or the aircraft forum needs to be expanded.

Id suggest something like

Military vehicles

.............armour

..........................ww1, ww2, modern

.............soft skin

..........................ww1, ww2, modern

.............mil veh related subjects

and so on. The front page would be better balanced like that

Just my opinion...

Edited by crookedmouth

• 8 years later...