Antarctica Aircraft, Help Needed....

Colin S-K

Dear All,

Being on the whole a military modeller, I have rarely ventured in these parts, but I am after your help.... and offer some help if it is useful..!

Firstly, I am currently researching aircraft operations in Antarctica, mainly UK/Commonwealth, and starting to collect/build models of the same.

A lot were military aircraft of the RAF, RAAF and RNZAF, but a lot were/are registered as civil aircraft, particularly registered in the Falklands, (VP-),

Does any one have any information/photos that they could share with me of these aircraft..?

I am looking for Beavers, Otters, Twin Otters, PC6 Turbo Porter, Norseman and Dash 7. Also the couple of Sikorsky S51 and Bell 47 helicopters operated by Hunting Aero surveys during the FIDASE survey of 1955-57, they also used two Canadian registered Cansos/Catalina's.

I am also looking for some models.

Can any one help with a 1/48 model of the OH13S Sioux, Italeri did one I think.

Can anyone tell me where to find a 1/72 model of the Dash 7..?

I know that 1/72 models were made of the Islander and Twin Otter, but does any one know anything of 1/48 models...? Although I fear this is a forlorn hope...

Please if any one can help, then feel free to email me at,

[email protected]

On the positive side, I have a lot of info about Antarctica and aircraft used already, if any one is interested I am only too happy to share what I have found.....

I also run the IPMS(UK) decal bank, we do not have large amounts of civil decals, but I am only too happy to try and help any one who enquires.

Colin

G'day Colin,Italeri did do a Bell 47 in 1/48.Kit number 859.Usual standard of workmanship,bright red plastic,contains floats and another 2 types of skids.Decals for US Coastguard,US Army and Italian Air Force.I'll make a start on mine one day.

G'day Colin,Italeri did do a Bell 47 in 1/48.Kit number 859.Usual standard of workmanship,bright red plastic,contains floats and another 2 types of skids.Decals for US Coastguard,US Army and Italian Air Force.I'll make a start on mine one day.

Alex.

Just wish I could find one.......

Colin

Hi Colin. I have a small bit of info on some of the Hughes 500 helicopters that have seen service in the Arctic/Antarctic environment. The Japanese Maritime Self Defence Force operated one while Jayrow Helicopters had three (on floats) before they were replaced by another pair of H500s from Vowell Air Services. These were used for the Australian Antarctic Mission. There are a few photos on the net of these machines. Thanks.

BM.

Alex.

Just wish I could find one.......

Colin

Found mine by happenstance at Perkins at Horncastle.Should your local source have an Italeri catologue under the counter you may be given grace to request purchase thereof with the gen you now possess,namely Kit Number.I'm not selling mine,I'm going to build it.As an Army Air Corps Sioux.Eventually.Sorry to disappoint...

Dear All,

... but a lot were/are registered as civil aircraft, particularly registered in the Falklands, (VP-),

Hi Colin,

The Falkland Islands civil regn. prefix is actually VP-Fxx (apparently the range is actually VP-FAA to VP-FZZ) - which may help if you try an on-line search, but Airliners.net & google images throw up a blank on pics of aircraft thus registered (if you search just VP- on A.net you get a heap of modern Russian stuff!)

I seem to remember that Modelcraft of Canada did a 1/48 Twin Otter a few years back, but I've never seen one so don't know if they did actually exist, or were just a paper announcement (I think I recall the ads for it being in Fine Scale Modeller)

Keef

Colin,

I see you mentioned RAAF aircraft as well. The RAAF operated 2 DHC Beavers in the Antarctic. Max Decals did a 1/72 sheet for one of these aircraft and Hawkeye Models Australia are about to release a 1/72and 1/48 sheet for the Beaver which includes markings for both aircraft used it the Antarctic.

Colin,

I see you mentioned RAAF aircraft as well. The RAAF operated 2 DHC Beavers in the Antarctic. Max Decals did a 1/72 sheet for one of these aircraft and Hawkeye Models Australia are about to release a 1/72and 1/48 sheet for the Beaver which includes markings for both aircraft used it the Antarctic.

Thanks for the posts chaps....

Got Beavers lined up and am going to do one FIDS/BAS aircraft, one in ANARE colours and last in New Zealand colours.

BM Most interested in any information/photos you can share regarding MD500's in Antarctica.... feel free to email me at, [email protected]

Again, most happy to share what information/photos I have accumulated to any one interested.

[email protected]

Colin

Tyhere is a book you need called "Gateway to the Ice" Author Tony Phillips, which covers flights of all AC from Christchurch airport into Antarctica. There are lots of pics, mainly military but inc Convair 990, connies etc. It also gives serials of all military and civil aircraft passing through Christchurch on their way to the ice DC8, DC10, 707s L1049, Il 22 and 18....etc

I got my copy form the Arctic Center in Christchurch in 2003 www.iceberg.co.nz/

I can make a few copies if you send me a pm

Regards

Colin

Hi Tony

I have a BAS DVD which includes a short (but nice), bit of colour video of the retrieval of their Otter fuselage from Deception Island (would make a great diorama!).

Happy to lend it to you if of interest.

Cliff

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Tony

I have a BAS DVD which includes a short (but nice), bit of colour video of the retrieval of their Otter fuselage from Deception Island (would make a great diorama!).

Happy to lend it to you if of interest.

Cliff

Cliff,

I would be interested, if you are willing to share...? [email protected]

Have found a 1/50th model of Twin Otter, just got one today, solid resin, nice finish... some shape issues but minor, can be modified/refined...

http://www.aviationretaildirect.co.uk/skel....asp?objid=8620

Might have another source for them if any one interested.

Colin