A Few Mustang Mk.i Questions

phat trev

And......we are back.  Back to the beginning and the thread that probably led to this....................

52898557061_60020ebd9f_b.jpgWingleader Photo Archive #22 Allison Mustang by Colin Ford, on Flickr

Due out 15 May 2023.  72 pages; 120+ b&w photos and a couple of colour photos; six full colour aircraft profiles by Darren Prior - 3 x Mustang Mk I, 2 x Mustang Mk IA and 1 x Mustang Mk II; includes photos from the Wingleader Photo Archive plus a number from a range of other private collections and quite a few from my collection never previously published.

There will be at a later date, another volume by another author on the Merlin engine variants of the Mustang in RAF Service.

Once this is out, I expect this thread will get searched out and referenced a number of times by those spurred on to build a scale Allison engine Mustang in RAF markings.  That and the more recent "All the Mustang/P-51 Questions" thread I am sure will get a workout and I'll be lurking to help out where and when I can.

Going back to a question from a while back - 'best' alternatives for the P51SIG?  I don't think there is yet anything that can/could replace it yet as an online source of well researched discussion and accumulated information and documentation that the SIG once had.  However there are two FB groups, "P-51 Mustang" and "Allison Powered Mustangs" (both you have to apply or be invited to join) that do provide interaction with people interested in all aspects of the P-51 Mustang, including a number of current Mustang maintainers, restorers, operators and current Mustang fliers.  Also a few researchers and authors are members of these two FB groups and will take part in the discussion when the topics turns to a more historic tone - or where myths and misconceptions need dispelling.  And the membership here at Britmodeller is pretty good and deserve mention as well in pointing questions on RAF Mustangs to previous or other relevant threads, or other sources published, online and otherwise.

• Like 8

Nice one Col, I reckon I'll be up for one of these. I recently picked up a couple of the Brengun Mustang Is & although I know they have some issues, a recent build of an A-36 on here seemed to hold promise with not too much work. 🤞 Those plus a couple of the Academy P-51 North Africa, kits,  will keep me out of trouble when I get around to them. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColFord said:

the thread that probably led to this....................

Just when my wallet thought it was getting a week off..... ;) That's EXCELLENT: the WingLeader Photo Archive series is a superb reference, and my copy is ordered as soon as I saw your post. That's going to be something to brighten my dreary work week when it arrives!

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

the Academy P-51 North Africa, kits

I think there might be a run on those - I've only got one 😱 I'll need at least a couple more. Plus the Ultracast Mk.I conversion set.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I think there might be a run on those - I've only got one 😱 I'll need at least a couple more. Plus the Ultracast Mk.I conversion set.....

Cheers,

Mark

I'd have more of them if I could find them, but they seem a bit like rocking horse poop & have for quite some time now. :(

Steve.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I'd have more of them if I could find them, but they seem a bit like rocking horse poop & have for quite some time now. :(

Steve.

They are a bit - a few crop up on eBay for not-too-astronomic prices, but shipping to NZ is probably eye-watering :( 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColFord said:

Going back to a question from a while back - 'best' alternatives for the P51SIG?  I don't think there is yet anything that can/could replace it yet as an online source of well researched discussion and accumulated information and documentation that the SIG once had.  However there are two FB groups, "P-51 Mustang" and "Allison Powered Mustangs" (both you have to apply or be invited to join) that do provide interaction with people interested in all aspects of the P-51 Mustang, including a number of current Mustang maintainers, restorers, operators and current Mustang fliers.  Also a few researchers and authors are members of these two FB groups and will take part in the discussion when the topics turns to a more historic tone - or where myths and misconceptions need dispelling.  And the membership here at Britmodeller is pretty good and deserve mention as well in pointing questions on RAF Mustangs to previous or other relevant threads, or other sources published, online and otherwise.

The trouble for me is Facebook/Meta tracking.  The company has the view once you go near their web site they are allowed to track you everywhere you go along with others you interact with.

Martin Brinkmann Jul 17, 2022, "Facebook has started to use a different URL scheme for site links to combat URL stripping technologies that browsers such as Firefox or Brave use to improve privacy and prevent user tracking.

Some sites, including Facebook, add parameters to the web address for tracking purposes. These parameters have no functionality that is relevant to the user, but sites rely on them to track users across pages and properties."

Also from another source dated August 2022.  "Following Apple's introduction of blocks that stopped Facebook from tracking users activity across many websites it looks like Meta has developed a Facebook Mobile Browser to do just that.

Clicking a hyperlink in Facebook does NOT open your preferred browser but a browser from Facebook.  They also modify the websites pages by inserting code (surely a copyright issue?!) that enables the tracking."

If you are on Facebook and send a link the URL is altered to go through Facebook/Meta first.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Late to this topic discussion- sorry! A couple of years ago we had a long and detailed discussion of the differences between the Allison and Merlin highback Mustangs, along with comparisons of the 1/72 Allison kit fuselages; I was one of the participants, and posted descriltion and measured several kit fuselages. You could look for it. Yes, the Merlin Mustang had a 4.5” deeper fuselage, as memtioned, as a proper cockpit floor was fitted, and the coolant/oil lines ran under the floor, necessitating the wing to be lowered that amount for clearance. If Arma will ever choose to grace us with an Allison Mustang like their outstanding B and C releases, our prayers will have been answered! Sorry I have been away for so long!

Mike

• Like 2

My book was posted 2 days ago on the 15th. I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I have amassed quite a collection of Allison-engined Mustang photos over the years, but I wouldn't be foolish enough to claim it is anything near Colin Fords' stash. I'll get the RAF Merlin-engined variant book when it becomes available, too.

Edited by TBC
  • Like 2

My copy of WingLeader 22 dropped through the letter box this morning, and I've just finished reading it cover-to-cover.

Absolutely SUPERB! Thank you so much @ColFord for creating this outstanding work of reference, its a goldmine of amazing information and splendidly reproduced photographs. It would be impossible to recommend this book too highly.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3