King Tiger Erika

Siggi

Great looking tank Siggi, superb finish to it, but as the others have said it does look as though it has been neglected for a few years.

Well, it's now finished as finished can be in regard to any more pictures other than these final shots. I'm going to build a diorama type base for it and future builds, for the sake of nicer pictures. I seem to have got away with using this KT as a base for experimenting with powders and with more luck than judgement I think I now have a handle on them. Thanks again chaps for all the advice and encouragement. :)

DSC02057.jpg

DSC02056.jpg

DSC02055.jpg

DSC02054.jpg

DSC02053.jpg

DSC02052.jpg

DSC02051.jpg

DSC02050.jpg

The bright ones were under a spot, the darker ones were in daylight.

Looks like Erika's crew had to earn their pay!

The hardest part in layering your weathering is that you have to cover up some of the neat effects you create. No matter when you are trying to create what happens in real world. Each layer is needed to make a more realistic model. You have done that. Sometimes you take artistic license to leave some of the layers showing through the layer that follows... Now you done it, you got me rambling.

Anyway... That is a good lookin piece of heavy metal. You put it in the right scene and it'll look like its right out of a page in history.

I LOVE that contrasting sheen that the gun tube has compaired to the dull heavy looking hull... Now THAT is a great effect.

Dave

Edited by Dave Shaw

Looks like Erika's crew had to earn their pay!

The hardest part in layering your weathering is that you have to cover up some of the neat effects you create. No matter when you are trying to create what happens in real world. Each layer is needed to make a more realistic model. You have done that. Sometimes you take artistic license to leave some of the layers showing through the layer that follows... Now you done it, you got me rambling.

Anyway... That is a good lookin piece of heavy metal. You put it in the right scene and it'll look like its right out of a page in history.

I LOVE that contrasting sheen that the gun tube has compaired to the dull heavy looking hull... Now THAT is a great effect.

Dave

You're not rambling Dave, the layered thing was what I was trying to achieve with the metal cote. Most of that was supposed to disappear under the rust and yellow/camo, but just enough still showing to give the right effect. Now it happens there's just enough rust-chipping showing through the muck to have made that particular layer worthwhile. It's like semi-opaque layers in Photoshop, they all come together in the end to produce a much richer whole. Eee, I'm rambling too. :D

Anyway, without you and your Panther I would never have tried the muck. I thought I'd royally screwed it up but it's turned into a bit of a bingo moment. It needs refining but I know how to do that now. :)

Will your Panther be on a base?

Actually I do have a little something something planned for it. It’s all up in the air right now though. It’ll take many many figures and I am not too good with painting figs… takes me forever to get just one passable. We’ll see how it plays out though.

Dave

Actually I do have a little something something planned for it. It’s all up in the air right now though. It’ll take many many figures and I am not too good with painting figs… takes me forever to get just one passable. We’ll see how it plays out though.

Dave

I somehow managed to spend a few bob over £120 yesterday, buying trees and other diorama stuff from the local model shop. Egads, he had stuff I was unable to find anywhere on the net, namely big enough trees. Also a big container of special snow stuff. I forsee much mess and stained clothing in the days ahead.

I'm not much cop with small figures either, I just about managed to make a bigger one passable many years ago (120mm I think the scale was). I was looking at some Alpine Miniatures online yesterday though (at Netmerchants) and I'm quite tempted.

Looks really nice. A bit dark, but I think that is mostly due to the photo. Could you take a few pictures in stronger light?

Stronger light? I'm not sure how. The bright ones were directly under a 9-bulb LED jobby, about 12" distance, also with a fair bit of daylight coming in through the big window in the kitchen door. I am planning on getting a tungsten-bulb floor-lamp to go behind me so it shines down over my shoulder. Any tips on one of those would be very helpful. :)

Maybe it's the background. I usually take my photos on either a large sheet of plasic card, or a large piece of paper. It usually works out quite fine.

What camera are you using?

It's a Sony Cybershot, 8.1 megapixels. The pics look nice and bright on my monitor, possibly yours isn't fully calibrated?

It's a Sony Cybershot, 8.1 megapixels. The pics look nice and bright on my monitor, possibly yours isn't fully calibrated?

Very possible. But I find the daylight pictures a bit dark. But as everything, it's a matter of taste, and the model looks very nice.

I picked one of these up recently when it was £29 from Maplin.

n60gu.jpg

It transforms your photos, and even though it doesn't look like you're getting much extra light on the subject, the photos come out with a much better exposure :)

Yes, the daylighted ones are a bit dark, especially the areas in shadow (facing away from the door). The spotlit ones are bang-on though.

Mike, that looks like a bargain even at the full price. I'll be getting one of those methinks.

It is a bargain, although the camera stand doesn't really have the strength to hold my Canon 40D and 17-85 lens... it will stand up, but it's pretty flexible and prone to wobble - a remote shutter release or timer is a must. It'll be perfect for a compact or one of those "pro-sumer" cross-over cameras though :)

• 11 months later...