Airfix Buccaneer

F-32

Quick technical query. Are the 'long' slipper tanks only for the SAAF Bucc? I read recently somewhere about the RAF/RN Buccs having both 'long' and 'short' slippers so now I'm confused!!

Cheers

Simon

As far as I am aware they were only used by the South Africans. By the way I got two today from my local Modelzone.

The larger tanks were trialled for RAF use, but abandoned - IIRC (from Tim Laming's book, I think) the problem was that the aircraft took an age to unstick, and it was realised that the presence of the rocket assisted take off gear in the SAAF Buccs offset the presence of the bigger tanks, so there was no adverse CoG issue for the SAAF aircraft whereas there was a bit of an issue (of the 'Mmmm, that hedge at the end of the runway is getting awfully close...' variety) for the British aircraft.

The bomb bay door tank (which, again IIRC, was being developed at the same time) was thought to do a good enough job to make it unecessary to worry about the bigger tanks, and plans to use these in RAF service were dropped.

Edited by XV107

The larger tanks were trialled for RAF use, but abandoned - IIRC (from Tim Laming's book, I think) the problem was that the aircraft took an age to unstick, and it was realised that the presence of the rocket assisted take off gear in the SAAF Buccs offset the presence of the bigger tanks, so there was no adverse CoG issue for the SAAF aircraft whereas there was a bit of an issue (of the 'Mmmm, that hedge at the end of the runway is getting awfully close...' variety) for the British aircraft.

The bomb bay door tank (which, again IIRC, was being developed at the same time) was thought to do a good enough job to make it unecessary to worry about the bigger tanks, and plans to use these in RAF service were dropped.

Thank you very much for 'shedding some light' all is now clear! I am very pleased to say that I acquired 3 Buccs from E-Models today and I agree everyones comments. Mine cost me £9.89 apiece (10% off RRP) and I might be persuaded to acquire 1 or 2 more! I already have 3 sets of Aeroclub seats, 2 Aeroclub canopies, 1 set of Heritage S1 intakes and an Odds and Ordnance nose/tailplane/brake set! Not sure whether I really need the Aeroclub canopies but I definately need some extra OAO sets - and his production problems right now are a real pity..... Ihope Cameron gets sorted out very rapidly! E-Models received 5 kits this week and sold all of them straight away so my 3 are part of their second order. I rather think this kit will sell very well!

Cheers

Simon

I get the impression you are looking to build the odd Buccy or two Simon :P

I need one for this Buccy

NASCecilFields800.jpg

was referring to the aircraft white 020 not Our Kid who is gonna kill me :lol:

Taken in the summer of 1976 NAS Cecil Fields

if anyone could provide a serial number would be extremely grateful

I get the impression you are looking to build the odd Buccy or two Simon :P

I need one for this Buccy

NASCecilFields800.jpg

was referring to the aircraft white 020 not Our Kid who is gonna kill me :lol:

Taken in the summer of 1976 NAS Cecil Fields

if anyone could provide a serial number would be extremely grateful

XV869 S.2D Embarked HMS Ark Royal - coded '020/R' on 6/10/1975, passed to RAF 27/11/1978

(Cruises: 1xHome & Mediterranean Sea + 1xAtlantic + 3xHome & Mediterranean Sea + 1xAtlantic)

Airfix should have used this a/c for the RN decals and not the incorrect S.2C XV344 ones!

Edited by Blacktjet

So just to clarify apart from the South African big fuel tanks and the LGB's this kit is the same as the old Airfix Buccaneer S2 kit. Which my opinion was OK, I have built them before and still have some in the box to build. So its a nice to see in the shops again, but a shame that parts for an S1 could not have been produced ?

So just to clarify apart from the South African big fuel tanks and the LGB's this kit is the same as the old Airfix Buccaneer S2 kit. Which my opinion was OK, I have built them before and still have some in the box to build. So its a nice to see in the shops again, but a shame that parts for an S1 could not have been produced ?

You also get the early style pylons which are needed for early versions and for the XV344 RN decals which is an S.2C

Edited by Blacktjet

The new release has 2 smallish new sprues. Engraved detail is finer than most recent Airfix releases (ie more Sabre than MiG-15).

Sprue 1

2 x SAAF slipper tanks

2 x Paveway II

1 x AIM-9J Sidewinder

1 x Pave Spike

1 x AN/ALQ 101

Sprue 2

4 x SNEB pods (NB RAF issue, not the 2" rocket pods required for FAA Buccaneers)

2 x ECM bullets

1 x Sidewinder launch rail

2 x smaller wingtip fairings for Gulf War option

4 x small pylons for use with rocket pods

6 pylons, 4 for Paveways, Sidewinders, etc and 2 not mentioned in instructions.

Quite nice quality and they rather show up the original kit, with its raised detail, and the parts from the last upgrade (eg Sea Eagles). No sign that any parts from the last boxing have been revised. Comprehensive transfer sheet eg 14 subjects for the ALQ 101 and pylon alone!

Nick

Is the Heritage S1 set still available? I looked at their website the other day and they didn't appear to be listed.

I think that if you look back a bit in this thread you will see that Heritage are going to be re-releasing it! I have also found myself making comments that someone else has already aired on the previous page or so but I put it down to youthful impetuosity (I wish!). One thing I will say though, I have a heritage set and, at £3.50, I was very pleased to have them (and still am) but I have recently discovered that the compressor faces can't be any more than a couple of feet behind the intakes, ie very visible, but my 'old' heritage ones are just 'holes' so I will have to scratchbuild something to make them a bit more realistic!

I think that if you look back a bit in this thread you will see that Heritage are going to be re-releasing it! I have also found myself making comments that someone else has already aired on the previous page or so but I put it down to youthful impetuosity (I wish!). One thing I will say though, I have a heritage set and, at £3.50, I was very pleased to have them (and still am) but I have recently discovered that the compressor faces can't be any more than a couple of feet behind the intakes, ie very visible, but my 'old' heritage ones are just 'holes' so I will have to scratchbuild something to make them a bit more realistic!

point taken with the 809 squadron one, but be careful with the Gulf War markings too..on mine the serial on the decal sheet reads XW895...which is actually a Gazelle, NOT a Bucc...the aircraft serial should be XX895 :analintruder:

just noticed this and wondered if anyone else has

steve

Edited by kspriss

point taken with the 809 squadron one, but be careful with the Gulf War markings too..on mine the serial on the decal sheet reads XW895...which is actually a Gazelle, NOT a Bucc...the aircraft serial should be XX895 :analintruder:

just noticed this and wondered if anyone else has

steve

Noticed that one also :shithappens:

Hugh.

Thanks for the replies.

I have the Model Alliance Buccaneer sheet and their Ark Royal sheet (which features an all white S1).

I had thought about modifying the old Airfix NA39 into an S1 but that looks like too formidable task.

Quick technical query. Are the 'long' slipper tanks only for the SAAF Bucc? I read recently somewhere about the RAF/RN Buccs having both 'long' and 'short' slippers so now I'm confused!!

Cheers

Simon

RAF and RN Buccs had two styles of slipper tanks-is that what you read about?

Thanks for the replies.

I have the Model Alliance Buccaneer sheet and their Ark Royal sheet (which features an all white S1).

I had thought about modifying the old Airfix NA39 into an S1 but that looks like too formidable task.

got hold of the airfix s1 it was a wreck when i got it looking ok now put the fin off the s2 on looks like an s1 now

got 4 more buccs to make

RAF and RN Buccs had two styles of slipper tanks-is that what you read about?

Not sure now. Are the long tanks in the new kit for the SAAF Bucc only? I read somewhere in this thread that they only worked with the SAAF jets because they had the RATO kit? Can you explain the differences with regard to these 2 styles for RAF and FAA jets?

Thanks for the replies.

Wish I knew of a sheet featuring S1's ! They seem to be thin on the ground! Maybe MA will release one if they start doing the old SAM 'correction' set? But won't they need to include stencils (MA don't seem to do much ofthat!) as I pressume a white jet will have pink and pale blue stencils like TSR 2?

Model Art sheet 72033 had three S1s: XK533/LM/682 700Z NAS, XN953/E/109 800 NAS, XN965/LM/636 809 NAS White anti-flash scheme. This is the only one I can think of other than the Model Alliance one.

Not sure now. Are the long tanks in the new kit for the SAAF Bucc only? I read somewhere in this thread that they only worked with the SAAF jets because they had the RATO kit? Can you explain the differences with regard to these 2 styles for RAF and FAA jets?

Look at photographs of Buccs and you will notice the difference. Some have a wide, more blunt fairing and others have a longer rounded fairing sloping more towards the tip of the tank

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Ha...aneer/1653617/L

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Navy/H...neer/1323469/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Ha...neer/1050799/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Navy/H...neer/0517366/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Navy/H...neer/0517366/L/

I thought I could see those differences as well but there was no mention in the captions so I thought it was the viewing angles. I know that a modifcation had to be made at the wing junction with the front of the tank when a couple of RN Buccaneers stalled on catapult launch - it could be that the RN tanks had the more faired in versions of the tanks and the later RAF tanks didn't?