1/72 Boeing 747 On E-bay

Phil W

On e-bay there is a 1/72 scale 747 being offered. I have never come across this kit before, has anyone else heard of it? It is described as AIM Transport Wings Boeing 747-100/200 Vacform kit. The item number is 130365241036. Has anyone any experience of building this particular model and are there any pitfalls to look out for. I am seriously considering bidding for this does anyone know what sort of price I can expect to pay?

Yes I've had a look at Hannatts catalogue. I will watch the one on e-bay and if I can get it cheap enough I might go for it. That catalogue has made my mouth water, I wish I had thought of that earlier! :doh:

I was considering building it as a freighter, no need for windows. -_-

I know I have a thing about detail but somewthing this big CANNOT be built without detail....

a freighter....ok -

nose up and open? If so, think of the fun you would have scratchbuilding the interior...and you would have to open up the remaining doors as well to get some light in there...

unless you lit it as well...

not opening the doors?...ok...is it parked or taxiing? If it's taxiing for t/o extended flaps? Landing?...extend them some more.....

if its parked, then check the droopy bits on the wings and stabs...they droop when the power is off...trust me - they do.

Most of all you absolutely, positively, HAVE to add the exterior detail - pitot heads and stuff like that.....

I would love to have a go at a 1/72 scale 747 but I have niether the money or the room to do anything with it once built :(

Kev, you have to do all that whatever the size of the model. As I have been told it needs a lot of strengtheners I was thinking about modelling it 'parked' with the doors closed, this was also why I decided to do it as a freighter. I have just looked at it again on e-bay and a bidding frenzy seems to be buiding up on it so it looks as if I will not bid anyway, it's getting close to the maximum I was going to bid. :angry:

I saw someone on another forum doing the 747 as the NASA aircraft with the Space shuttle, although it is mentioned in the forum that the model is very basic and not that difficult to put togethor, I think the problem is putting scribed lines, cutting out windows and adding extra detail will be the sticking point to make it a presentable model in 1/72, any how, how many 1/72 747 have been finished as I have seen one completed model, so maybe some modellers find this kit a struggle and don't complete it, plus its a lot of money wasted if you don't complete it.

PS If anyone has completed one I would like to see the photos so I can eat my words, and not a 1/144 scale and saying its the 1/72 model

Edited by kev67

I've just been reading up Darth Vader's build of a 1/32 Vulcan! :gobsmacked: I suppose it depends on wether or not your glass is half full or half empty.

Or could it be that the glass is just too big for that amount of liquid? :hmmm:

Phil, to answer your question in the header, I wouldn't pay anymore than what you would pay for it at Hannants.

I've got about eight AiM kits including two 747's, the first one I bought some years ago and it cost about GBP 60 or 70 (can't remember now), I got the Shuttle Carrier conversion for it at the same time. The second one I bought at the end of 2007 where the price had jumped up to GBP110. I was really surprised at the price jump when I saw it restocked at Hannants last year.

If you're wondering how big it is here's a pic of the kit next to an Airfix 1/72 Nimrod

747versusNimrod.jpg

I'm well aware of the size, I am expecting it to go over the limit I set myself. A Contrail Avro Tudor went for £113 only yesterday on e-bay but an Airspeed Ambassador only fetched £41.50!!! I might even consider buying one new from Hannants, after all I have no council tax or water rates to pay this month and next.

Edited by Phil W

I saw someone on another forum doing the 747 as the NASA aircraft with the Space shuttle, although it is mentioned in the forum that the model is very basic and not that difficult to put togethor, I think the problem is putting scribed lines, cutting out windows and adding extra detail will be the sticking point to make it a presentable model in 1/72, any how, how many 1/72 747 have been finished as I have seen one completed model, so maybe some modellers find this kit a struggle and don't complete it, plus its a lot of money wasted if you don't complete it.

PS If anyone has completed one I would like to see the photos so I can eat my words, and not a 1/144 scale and saying its the 1/72 model

That may have been me. The one i was doing was a shuttle carrier.

Phil, to answer your question in the header, I wouldn't pay anymore than what you would pay for it at Hannants.

I've got about eight AiM kits including two 747's, the first one I bought some years ago and it cost about GBP 60 or 70 (can't remember now), I got the Shuttle Carrier conversion for it at the same time. The second one I bought at the end of 2007 where the price had jumped up to GBP110. I was really surprised at the price jump when I saw it restocked at Hannants last year.

If you're wondering how big it is here's a pic of the kit next to an Airfix 1/72 Nimrod

747versusNimrod.jpg

I have made a bid this afternoon and I am currently the highest bidder. Seeing as it is one of the early models I have set my limit accordingly, I've got a bit of leeway with my current bid but I would not be surprised if it went for silly money even more than Hannants price. :frantic:

I have made a bid this afternoon and I am currently the highest bidder. Seeing as it is one of the early models I have set my limit accordingly, I've got a bit of leeway with my current bid but I would not be surprised if it went for silly money even more than Hannants price. :frantic:

As I said I have one of the early ones and a later release. There's not any difference between the two, same white metal and etch, same decals, same details except the engine fan fronts are resin in the later boxing whereas the originals are injection.

Hannants charge how much for postage? :o It would be cheaper for me to drive to Lowestoft and collect it personally, thats if I am unsuccessful in by bid for the one on e-bay. Thanks Gunpowder17 for showing your construction of the model, its given me a few pointers on how to do it.

Edited by Phil W

Hannants charge how much for postage? :o It would be cheaper for me to drive to Lowestoft and collect it personally, thats if I am unsuccessful in by bid for the one on e-bay. Thanks Gunpowder17 for showing your construction of the model, its given me a few pointers on how to do it.

If the kit is £140 it should come with free postage - that's if I'm reading Hannants' website right.

Actually if the kit is £140 it should come with free beer and sausage rolls, but that's another matter altogether.

Edited by pigsty