1/72 Boeing 747 On E-bay

Phil W

"...Kev, you have to do all that whatever the size of the model..."

the only airliner modeller I can think of who routinely does all that is me...

most airliner builders do them without any detail at all - I'm not criticizing them for it, everybopdy should build as they want to

but models look better to me if they have some added detail

Like I said, I dont have the dosh ort the space for somehting this big...but I'd love to build one AND super-detail it :)

I intend to detail the cockpit. I am considering modelling it with the cargo door open but almost fully loaded so that I only have to model a small part of the interior (no further back than the cockpit). Looking at what Gunpowder17 has done I will fit similar bulkheads to the rear in addition a horizontal bulkhead making the cabin floor. This will only happen of course if my bid is successful, I am highest bidder but still more than two days to go. :pray:

I think super detailing a jumbo would make you go mad if anyone intended in making the seats, I scratch built 8 seats for my Devon and that was enough for me, and if you were not building a freighter you would still have to cut out all the windows as well for this scale. The model seems totally smooth as though it has no scribed lines on it at all, is this the case.

Edited by kev67

Yes it will require scribing. I am having second thoughts about opening up the cargo door but I still intend to super detail the cockpit, as if it was sitting on a display table 'painted' cockpit windows would be very noticable. However I have just been outbid on it and I may not win it. Does anyone make a 1/72 Lockheed Tristar?

Edited by Phil W

"...Does anyone make a 1/72 Lockheed Tristar?..."

probably the same company...they seem to do most everything else, the do a DC10 - I've seen a built one and thats big enough....

"...I think super detailing a jumbo would make you go mad if anyone intended in making the seats..."

at 1/144 scale they are a bit tiny - even with all the windows cut out you arent going to see much so do what I do...cheat a bit

I usually put in the parts that can bee seen through open doors but not the rest.

Cockpits I usually install unless I'm decalling the cockpit windows but I prefer them clear

Super-detailing doesnt mean including interiors tho - add all the external detail, including things like the cable on the gear, all the pitot heads, sensors, antennae, etc, and it transforsm the way a model looks.

And thats at 1/144 scale (or 1/200....)

But there's no reason not to add exterior detail at 1/72.

Military modellers do that as a matter of routine.

"...Kev, you have to do all that whatever the size of the model..."

the only airliner modeller I can think of who routinely does all that is me...

most airliner builders do them without any detail at all - I'm not criticizing them for it, everybopdy should build as they want to

but models look better to me if they have some added detail

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but for anyone interested in detailed airliner models, have a look at this;

http://dishmodels.ru/gshow.htm?p=6938&lng=E

The finish on that makes it my current favourite airliner model of all time!

Keef

Which one were you following, I can only find this one:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...s=tab%3DBidding

Thats not the one, the one I was after was in the UK, it went for £111.11. I'm thinking about the 1/72 DC-10 he has on offer, but I am going to have to check the postage out first. Not my cup of tea but he also has a 1/5 scale Me109!

"...Not wanting to hijack the thread, but for anyone interested in detailed airliner models, have a look at this;

Keef..."

the link doesnt seem to work but I did say 'that I know of'

Which one were you following, I can only find this one:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...s=tab%3DBidding

I had a word with the vendor. The postage would be $50! about thirty quid, :o plus if it gets pulled by customs you have duty+VAT+ Parcelforce will charge an arm and a leg just for opening it. :pirate: As much as I would like both the 747 and the DC-10 I think I will have to give it a miss. :fraidnot::badmood:

"...Not wanting to hijack the thread, but for anyone interested in detailed airliner models, have a look at this;

Keef..."

the link doesnt seem to work but I did say 'that I know of'

Link works fine for me Kev1n. I wasn't having a dig, I thought you may like to see it, it's a lovely build!

Keef

"...I wasn't having a dig, I thought you may like to see it, it's a lovely build!..."

I know you werent.

I'll try again sometime but maybe you can save the pics and post them here?

so long as you give due credit to the builder that should be ok :)

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but for anyone interested in detailed airliner models, have a look at this;

Keef

Saw this the other night and meant to give the heads up to civil fans here but you beat me to it.

Stunning build from someone thad doesn't usually build airliners.

Thanks Keith.

Chris.

I had a word with the vendor. The postage would be $50! about thirty quid, :o plus if it gets pulled by customs you have duty+VAT+ Parcelforce will charge an arm and a leg just for opening it. :pirate: As much as I would like both the 747 and the DC-10 I think I will have to give it a miss. :fraidnot::badmood:

I've been keeping an eye on the 747 and the DC10 the vendor was offering. I thought until this morning when the bids stood at £65 for the pair it might be worth a try but the prices have gone up beyond what I can afford. Less than 30 minutes to go still a good price if it wasn't for the above.

Edited by Phil W