`what If` Su-27 Flanker

tc2324

So the build starts........,

Cut and trimmed the main airframe section, (you may have noticed the mess, the wife did!), and drilled the holes in the lower section for the airframe for the racks. Also put the engine sections together.

004-16.jpg

Put the cockpit together. Will prime tomorrow then add a bit of detail with a brush. May even put the cockpit decals on as well...??

009-11.jpg

Now this is where I can`t make my mind up. Drawing below shows two paint scheme options for the tail. An all black tail on their fighters has always been part of 74 Sqn`s recent history and this would be an reasonable assumption if they returned to service. However, in my `what if`, 74 return as an aggressor unit so might they jazz up their aircraft and make them more colourful..??

002-18.jpg

What do you lot think?? (and yes, I know, it is a `what if`and if I wanted I could paint them all bright pink, but I`m after a realistic kind of `what if`)

What a time to start running low on primer...! Just a quick photo update, the black tails are only placed in position to give you an idea of the finished product. I went against the colourful tail for two reasons, 1, if 74 were to come back for real, a black tail is a more realistic option and 2, a stripy tail is more of a `tiger meet` thing and that not what I`m after.

007-10.jpg

Primed a few bits as well tonight including the u/c, weapons rails, the TACTS pod and Aim 9 Lima which will be painted as an inert round.

010-10.jpg

Now wait for it all to dry and get on the blower for some more primer......

Several years ago I built a 29 sqn Mig 29 as a cheaper alternative to the (at the time) overdue Typhoon. I don't think it would be too much of stretch of the imagination to say that the RAF could have bought Flankers for regular sqn use, rather that spending all that money on a training sqn.

Love the idea of making it 74 sqn! My dad worked with 74 back in the early 70's in Singapore! Always a faovourite of mine

Another update.:D Primed the main airframe today..:)

014-7.jpg

Cocked up the tail section and will have to redo it...:( (I just can`t paint in a straight line....:rolleyes:)

013-8.jpg

Completed the u/c, TACTS pod and inert AIM 9 round.....:) (although the AIM9 round close up looks a bit pants so may redo that as well..:rolleyes: )

012-7.jpg

Anyhoo..., got three schemes in mind, didn`t want to go for an all grey scheme, got too many of them schemes for real.:lol: So it`s down to these....,

1. All over Aluminium, a bit like the old style Soviet type

2. All over polished Aluminium, a bit like how 74 had their Lightnings

3. Grey/Green camo, just like a Spitfire scheme late in the war

What say you?

Ok, think I`m going to go for the grey/green scheme as it is meant to be an `aggressor` unit after all. If anyone has has a real problem with that, you have approx 2 hours to change my mind.... :D

Hi

Just looked at your build, I was just wondering when you prime your small parts, do you lay them flat, if so it it is easier to attach them to cocktail sticks with bulue tac and have the cocktail sticks held in position with foam such as what you find in flower arrangments, this gives an easier way to spray those tiny parts plus you can spray both sides at once.

Hi

Just looked at your build, I was just wondering when you prime your small parts, do you lay them flat, if so it it is easier to attach them to cocktail sticks with bulue tac and have the cocktail sticks held in position with foam such as what you find in flower arrangments, this gives an easier way to spray those tiny parts plus you can spray both sides at once.

Hi kev,

never really gave that any thought to be honest, but it`s a great tip and one I will be looking into as it`s always a pain priming one side at a time. :D

So all........ what d`ya think??

Tail units are not glued yet and as always all C&C welcome....;)

001-18.jpg

002-19.jpg

Tomorrow is varnish night....:D

Edited by tc2324

I suppose the old saying is true, `the decal maketh the model`. :lol:

Just a few shots of the near finished product, (eyes were getting sore putting the smaller decals on so time for a rest), and at a later date I will post my usual diorama pics with back story...... :)

004-17.jpg

011-10.jpg

012-8.jpg

009-12.jpg

Ok, last post from me on this and the back story goes a little like this......,

By October 2012 the British Ministry of Defence had became concerned with the amount of military hardware being sold to a number of middle class countries and states by the Russian and Chinese governments. Items of main concern were the purchases of new Sukhoi Su-34`s and 35`s, as well as a number of Shenyang J-11`s, which were the Chinese built version of the Su-27. The capability of these aircraft was proved 5 months later during the two month border skirmish in March-April 2013 between India and Pakistan when Indian air force Su-30`s made a number of interceptions against Pakistani F-16`s and shot down 9 without loss. Most of the combat took place within visual range and at various altitudes.

While the threat of these types to the UK mainland was admittedly minimal, the shock purchase by the Argentine air force of 12 Su-34`s and basing them in the south of Argentina had an immediate effect in Whitehall. Royal Air Force military chiefs had always wanted the RAF to have its own `aggressor` Squadron as the cost of sending aircraft, men and materials to the US was starting to become prohibitive as well as taking a couple of transport aircraft away from other areas where they were more urgently needed. As soon as the idea got the green light from Whitehall various types were considered, but it took a surprise call from the Ukrainian Embassy who had heard the `rumour` about a new aggressor unit for the RAF, and an offer made. In September 2013 five Su-27 airframes, with engines and spares, were quietly packed aboard a freighter at a port in the Ukraine and 6 days later unloaded at Hull . These were then transported by road down to RAF Conningsby ready to be reassembled and flight tested. Over the course of the next 5 months each aircraft was reassembled and test flown by test pilots from Boscombe Down and on the 1st February 2014, after all five aircraft had been tested and proved certified for service, 74(F.AGR.) Squadron stood up at Conningsby. 74`s only task in service was to provide DACM training to RAF and NATO pilots using an aircraft, admittedly an earlier model but similar in size and performance, that was common in countries that may pose a threat at some point in the future. Coding the aircraft was a simple task and Tango, India, Golf, Echo and Romeo, (T.I.G.E.R.), all kept with 74`s recent historical tradition of flying with an all black tail. The camouflage scheme came about via a conversation between 74`s CO and the Squadrons engineering officer. It was well known that the `rebirth` of the Squadron was due to the Argentines purchase of the Su-34`s, so what better way of sending them a `covert` message by painting 74`s new mounts in the same schemes that the Argentines had on theirs. Officially of course, this was denied.

Here, in a mixture of RAF publicity black and white and colour photos, is `Tango` at dispersal at Conninsby fitted with a TACTS pod and an inert AIM-9L Sidewinder drill round.

017-5-1.jpg

011-11-1.jpg

012-9.jpg

And a few downward shots without the backdrop... (apologies for the cr@p base, need to work on that...)

024-5.jpg

027-7.jpg

Without sounding like I`m trying to flog a dead horse, I wasn`t happy with the colour pics of the Su-27 from the other day and thats why most were black and white, so by using better light, I`ve redone a few shots.:)

016-8-1.jpg

017-6-1.jpg

025-4-1.jpg

024-6-1.jpg

Now I`m much happier and can move on.....:lol:

• 2 weeks later...