Gcn's Build - Se.5a, Hisso

gcn

By now I guess you all know what the box and sprues look like.

Box for those that wern't aware, lovely kit, shame about UK Customs and the boys at the Post Office.

wnw.jpg

and some reference material I've borrowed from a guy at work who I would call Mr. Shuttleworth.

PICT2833.jpg

The British Military Aircraft book contains signatures of a couple of 1st World War pilots who were at the book signing when this book was re-issued. One of them became quite well known.

PICT2834.jpg

I will try and get this underway in the next couple of weeks after the Helicoptor has been put to bed.

Box for those that wern't aware, lovely kit, shame about UK Customs and the boys at the Post Office.

My Roden SE5A came from Hong Kong and I had no excess to pay or trouble with the delivery, in fact I've now had quite a lot of kits from HK and so far 'touch wood' I've never had to pay excess on any of them.

Minor update. I'm going to try to document most stages rather than big gaps as i've done on previous GB's so it could get a touch boring

WNW kits still suffer from sink marks in awkward places. Although this part won't be too visible i'm going to sort them out, the ones right at the front and out of picture are a different matter.

PICT2949.jpg

Filled with Mr Surfacer 500, could probably do with another splash when dry and then sanded smooth. One thing the plastic on these kits makes excellent stretched sprue. First attempt off the bat gave me what I wanted, i'll be sanding off the internal bracing wires and using sprue as it will be easier to paint plus it adds a bit of definition not appreciated on the moulded in wires. I may if i'm really insane use sprue for the rigging wires

PICT2952.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

stupid camera shows the tiniest of details. Bring back the old one that hid amultitude of sins

P1000056.jpg

P1000055.jpg

P1000053.jpg

P1000069.jpg

Internal bracing wires were from stretched sprue and wood was done the normal way with Tamiya xf-59 and burnt umber oils. The CDL was Tamiya Deck Tan

Edited by gcn

• 5 months later...

5 months since my last post :blush:

I've made so many mistakes on this build, mainly my own fault but I do find the wnw instructions confusing at times. I was also not happy with my first finish using their PC10 recipe for Tamiya paints so I made my own using Gunze Braunviolet and Gunze Dark Earth at a ratio of 15:8 so I stripped the whole lot down to bare plastic and started again.

I don't really like Deck Tan as Linen either and on my Pup i'll be using bleached bone

Had a mojo issue that I had to resolve anyhoo

P1000408.jpg

P1000407.jpg

P1000404.jpg

P1000403.jpg

Rudder is just blu tac'd on at the moment.

Weathering the decal is next and then the rigging ::gulp::

Edited by gcn