* 1/72 USAF UH-1N :FINISHED

This is the Fujimi UH-1N kit. Here is the pre start shot. I got this kit a few years ago and it had been started. I was drawn to it by the USAF VIP scheme option (VIP aircraft is one of my collection themes). The other options are a USMC bird and an Italian Navy bird.

UH-1NConst5.jpg

The cockpit was part started as was the rotor head, so I added a splash of paint to them and finished construction of the cockpit. I added tape belts to the seats. The instrument panel has nice raised detail which I dry brushed to bring out. Since there was no detail on the centre console I rummaged through my decal spares and found a console decal from a trashed Hasegawa UH-1H kit.

UH-1NConst1.jpg

UH-1NConst2.jpg

I glued the cockpit into one of the fuselage halves, I did a test fit on the skids and realised some nose wait might be required so I added some small strips of lead into the nose and under the centre console before closing up the fuselage. I think it give it a more positive sit on the skids.

UH-1NConst3.jpg

UH-1NConst4.jpg

So that is how it sits at the moment. I will concentrate on this one while detailing the MRH90 and how to progress a little faster now since we have about a month to the finish line.

:cheers:

Edited by TrojanThunder

Some progress to report, filling and sanding has commenced along with some further construction.

I am finding the fit of this kit is very good The only issue so far is the windscreen. Its fit is not the best so I have added some shims above the cockpit doors to help with the fit.

UH-1NFilling1SM.jpg

UH-1NFilling2SM.jpg

Sanding started...

UH-1NsandingSM.jpg

UH-1Nsanding2SM.jpg

Great progress, Ray.

You've certainly got it together in short order and here's hoping that it continues as well from here. The scheme you've chosen should look very snappy.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew,

Yes its coming together nicely. Fit is good and not many colours to contend with on the interior. I like there Fujimi kits, first attempt t one and I will have a crack at a few more. I got a couple of F-4s form you that were Fujimi I believe?

Next update. Most of external fittings are on and I am getting close to exterior paint. The only thing holding me up there is getting the correct grey for the scheme. Hope to sort that out in the next day or 2. Have got some paint on the main rotor blades and that needs masking and the metallics applied.

I have fitted the windscreen and masked the other window openings. I am trying to leave the clear parts off until the last minute so I don't botch them :D

UH-1NAssembySM1.jpg

UH-1NAssembySM2.jpg

After a lvely sodden weekend I had a chance to progress the Huey.

I painted the roof with a Tamiya White Primer rattlecan and masked it up

UH-1NPaintProgSM1.jpg

UH-1NPaintProgSM2.jpg

This was followed with some Testors Aircraft grey and Tamiya flat black

UH-1NPaintProgSM3.jpg

...and then the masking was removed.

UH-1NPaintProgSM4.jpg

UH-1NPaintProgSM5.jpg

Next I will be masking up the main rotor and and painting the tail rotor, added the clear parts and decalling.

Should be finished inthe next few days and then I can go back to the MRH90

Almost finished, As usual at the end of a project I start to rush. I noticed a few places touch ups are required. The Future was still wet in this shot which I assume made the windscreen look fogged up. After touch ups decalling to be done and then it is finished...

UH-1NFP1.jpg

UH-1NFP2.jpg

UH-1NFP3.jpg

UH-1NFP4.jpg

UH-1NFP5.jpg

Edited by TrojanThunder

Well I had to repaint the grey since I had done a touch up and the colour had changed! Something to do with getting to the bottom of the bottle and the hard pigment at the bottom breaking down (even though I had stirred it a lot in previous painting sessions). You may notice a slightly lighter tone to the grey.

Anyway I resprayed the grey and gloss coated it. Time for decals and a wash now and it will be finished.

UH-1NAF_2.jpg

UH-1NAF_3.jpg

UH-1NAF_4.jpg

UH-1NAF_5.jpg