?buccaneer Wing Fold Colour

Mark M

chapps, in the pictures ive got the wing fold appears to be bare metal, is this correct, the reason i ask is that if RN brick were at sea, the salt water spray would corrode it would it not?, ive seen one photo where it looks whitish, but mine are all black and white photos bar one which looks aluminum colour?

mark

I have taken many photos of that aircraft at that museum, I just wished they would turn the lights on in that part where the Buccaneer is as I have to use the flash

Edited by kev67

Mark, is there anywhere you can see through the fold of the one at Newark? Just wondered as it's outside as you know and that the give a different bearing on the colour.

Tony :clif:

Mark, is there anywhere you can see through the fold of the one at Newark? Just wondered as it's outside as you know and that the give a different bearing on the colour.

as i understand it it wont fold on either side, i asked when i was there

I'm not convinced that the colour is the same for the RAF jet folds as for the navy ones. Here's a shot of a fold from Bruntingthorpe in daylight:

S2Bfold1.jpg

i have a feeling there is no standard colour, i now have at least 4 differnt ones 2 raf 2 rn, im going with the undercaridge colour, when i decide what that is!, but at least ive now got some really good photos for scrath building!

Don't forget that a number of the RAF buccs were ex RN. From a cost perspective it would seem logical to coat all the airframes with the same thing. Just a thought.

My recollection of the S2 at Yeovilton is that it was a metallic colour. I did protograph it, but unfortunately the computer that the images are stored on isn't working at the moment. The colour seemed to resemble Tamiya titanium, so that is what I used. The appearance was of dull bare or anodised aluminium. Having said that the lighting on the "Flight Deck" is possibly the weakest in the museum and I took the pictures by flash. I'll have to have another look when I go to the show in just over a week's time.

any colour as long as its GRAY!!!!

the variations are huge ,but as a rule of thumb i would go with the same colour as the undercarrage (although i have seen them in different colours as well!!!)

one thing that needs to be done is weathering !!! i have never seen a wing fold that isnt covered in hydralic fluid or general muck .

go wild with the weathering and you wont be far off the real thing ,just look at juliens picture

Great collection of photographs - are you by any chance going to have them available for reference for the Buccaneer group build?

Regards