Buccaneer S2 xn977 1972 HMS Ark Royal (Belize)

Mark M

thanks to all you chapps who directed my to the RN Brick, this build has come about for several reasons, 1. the group build that i cant wait for (i have another for that) 2. having read the book! (phoinex sqn) i was so inspired by it that i had to build it, most of my builds are inspired by somthing. 3. the s1 at Newark Air Museum that keep stareing at me.

now i have a couple of photos of her overflying belize during the gutamalan disagreement and as there were no declas avaliable ive printed my own and used some of there printable ones avaliable on the net

so this is what i intend to recreate

rn_buccaneer_over_belize.jpg

8274496x.jpg

from this:

100_2120.jpg

100_2121.jpg

100_2122.jpg

100_2123.jpg

i have also purchased some seats and wheels (resin) to add to her but they havent arrived yet

ive read several threads about her and it seems she is a pig of a kit but looks fab when done so any help on the way will be most welcome

right hold on tight, seatbelts on and ..........

here we go!

Have at it Mark! :) Don't forget to look at the "Brick Building Made Easy" topic that's pinned somewhere. It will help you gluing the fuselage together ;)

Have at it Mark! :) Don't forget to look at the "Brick Building Made Easy" topic that's pinned somewhere. It will help you gluing the fuselage together ;)

got it saved !! christ where do i start

I hadn't built a model in 40 years till a month or two ago - the Bucc fuselage was twisted just as advertised - but I followed the guidelines in the "Brick ... easy" thread and had no great problems .

Getting the tail end of the canopy in the right place in relation to the spine was the bit that caught me out.

The Bucc isnt as scary a kit as everyone makes out. And it builds into an impressive model from the box. Phoenix Squadron is a Great Book, my dad was onboard the Ark at this time so quite interesting personally. Roland Whites Vulcan 607 is also worth a read.

help already!!!!!

1. do the pavala seats fit in without sanding away the kits tub?

2. am i correct in thinking the RN canopy didnt have det cord? if so are there replacement canopies out there?

3. anyone got any pictures of the left and right sides of the tub both front and rear?

feel its time to expand my skills, time to scratch build the tub

and drat the postman came and went and not little packages!

2. am i correct in thinking the RN canopy didnt have det cord? if so are there replacement canopies out there?

www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/ has this to say on the subject:

Royal Navy Service

The Martin Baker Mk.4 ejection seat continued into the production Buccaneer S.Mk.1 aircraft. However because of the environment that the Buccaneer was designed to operate in, major changes were progressively made to the Mk.4 seat during it's operational career in the Buccaneer.

The first major change was in the event of a crash into the sea, very likely due to the fact that the Buccaneer would spend most of it's naval flying time over water, was the idea of firing the ejector seats directly through the cockpit canopy. It was feared that the crashed aircraft would become a death-trap to it's crew if the canopy was jettisoned, causing the crew to drown from the sudden inrush of water before they could effect their escape.

To enable the crew to egress through the canopy transparency without the need to jettison the canopy first, 'Canopy Breakers' were fitted to the top of each of the ejection seats.

A system was finally perfected in which a small explosive charge (in the form of a thin zig-zag strip) was placed above each of the crews' heads on the underside of the canopy transparency. This was the MDC (Miniature Detonating Cord). The thickness of the transparency was reduced to aide with the successful egress through the canopy. This system finally entered service as a retro-fit to existing Fleet Air Arm Buccaneers as well as RAF Buccaneers from 1971-onwards. The existence of MDC being fitted to a Buccaneer can be ascertained if the small warning triangle on the right has been applied to either side of the lower canopy frame in line with the Terylene arch fitted to the centre of the canopy transparency.

So it depends!

By the way, how did you get the Richard Caruana decals to print in the right size??? I keep trying to print them but they never come out right!

www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/ has this to say on the subject:

By the way, how did you get the Richard Caruana decals to print in the right size??? I keep trying to print them but they never come out right!

thanks guys that helps loads

with regard to the printing, use microsoft office picture manager and click print its as simple as that, but i know wht you mean i struggled with other programes

help already!!!!!

1. do the pavala seats fit in without sanding away the kits tub?

3. anyone got any pictures of the left and right sides of the tub both front and rear?

feel its time to expand my skills, time to scratch build the tub

and drat the postman came and went and not little packages!

Hi Mark, all the best with the build.

I have checked my photos and I don't think that the RN Buccs had the MDC fitted until the mid 70s. The pic in the Aeroguide page 26 shows XT286 in 1972 with no MDC. Also the older style seats are shown well on page 54.

thanks for the info and links

did a bit of scrath building to the tub, but cant do a lot untill the seats arrive, fingers crossed for today (i think im a bit too optimistic) and im at work wed / thur so ill be doing some of ther other bits today, the outer wings slipper tanks and maybe the airbrake

anyway ill post pictures later

Look forward to seeing this one. I have started 2 of these kits One a desert storm S.2B and another I plan to build as an S.1 using the Heritage intakes but both are languishing on my part built kits pile waiting for the inspiration for me to start working on them again. Hopefully your build will provide me with that inspiration.

ok some photos of the tub, cant do much more here until i get the seats( i have a feeling i may have to cut a lot of this out!), sorry about the photos

100_2136.jpg

edit - crap photos removed new ones added

100_2144.jpg

100_2149.jpg

Edited by markmarples

Well

today:

still no seats in the post!

tub done well as much as i can

glass shield between front and rear seats added too

wheel wells added wires, piping and the extra bracing

outer wings built up and filled / sanded no wing fold jet

100_2151.jpg

100_2153.jpg

100_2154.jpg

100_2155.jpg

100_2156.jpg

100_2157.jpg

100_2159.jpg

ok, ive tried to do a bit of scrath building for the wing folds, they will be painted the same as the under caridge colour (when i decide what that is) and extreamley dirty thanks to the photos from you chaps, any surgestions to improve them will be greatley recieved (i never wing folded before!!!!!!!, so its virgin territory for me)

100_2173.jpg

100_2172.jpg

100_2170.jpg

100_2168.jpg