blimps 1/72nd sopwith tabloid + morane L bash

blimp

the old mans b'day today and mrs B's on fri mean i've been distracted for a bit . - i slept like a log for the first time , now i'm raring to go again . (the stitches are now out and apart from some tenderness the arm is coming on nicely). the recent weather has prevented repainting the fuselage so i had a go at the wheels . . . 002-44.jpg

[/left] some wheels (german type)from the spares box were the correct dia. but were flat on the rear faces , i reduced them to half thickness . . .
002-45.jpg
. . . removed the 'patch' valve covers , drilled new ones and stuck the halves together . covers will be foiled , tyres painted dark grey , they should look quite natty .(or use aeroclub ones , V008 - doh ) ah well , another job done ^_^ . . . the axle assembly is next , oh , the fun . . . but first i'm oft t' gramps rave ! - stay lucky .
Edited by blimp

dang! Just saw the bit on the pen technique for showing the formers through the fabric, just after Id abandoned the idea of masking my Kitten and no pens to hand! Ill read these builds properly next time!

- at last mrs B has gone to bed , grumpily mumbling about 'birthday' and 'present' or something , so just a late quickie tonight -

[/left]001-54.jpg
i've began to make some of the complicated suspension , here are the axle strops and brackets fitted . bungy cords and 'split' axle are next . the Eduard etched brass seat has a cushion added from milliput , painted leather . along with some pre coloured RFC seat straps . i also painted a scrap of decal grey , this will be cut into various shapes and used for the control surface hinges and suchlike .
:ninja: ( her prezzies are now next to her chair )

todays memo chaps , weather , time and opportunity have conspired to delay the paintwork for now . i'll have a go this afternoon .anyway , a little retail therapy , courtesy of AHD in West Drayton furbished me with a 7cylinder Gnome , so the cockpit floor went in , firewall was refaced , engine trimmed to go in the hole and the lower cowl is getting profiled -

[/left]002-46.jpg
only the u/c axle , tailskid , control horns & prop to go , then i can nail the beastie together ! :P also , my persistant grovelling has paid off . those nice people at http://www.modellersmate.co.uk/ have sent me enough brass section wire to do the Morane . - who's idea was that again ? DOH ! . . . . :yikes::rofl::stupid:

. . . and tonight , gentlepeeps - finally the tabloid now has a coat of satin varnish :analintruder: - whilst that is curing , a look at it's benchmate is in order . . . the Morane Saulnier 'L' in 1/72 , just to make it interesting it will be semi nude ! - got your attention now , haven't i ? ya dirty beggers . behave .

[/left]001-56.jpg
armed with the datafile -
002-47.jpg
and a couple of these . . .
004-24.jpg
. . . the fun begins on build #2 . . .
003-32.jpg
now this won't be pretty , i'm going to have to ad lib a bit on this one . not finding any info at all on the wing construction of the Morane Saulnier L means i'l be using wings of a Fokker Eindecker . Why ? - because it was a close copy of a 1913 racer that Anthony Fokker bought to 'study' . i'm trusting the family resemblence of the wings on this . the cord and spar spacing is spot on . the number of ribs means two kits are needed . no probs , i have an old bent one i used to try stuff out on . handy that :whistle: - the aerofoil shape needs more undercamber , but that's nothing that sneakiness and brute strength won't fix . the spars will be 1/32" (.8mm) 'I' section brass , out line - fine wire . and so on . . . fear not , my dears , i will prevail . . . . :fight:
Edited by blimp

the 'ol arm is very sore this morning , i cant even put a light dressing on it , so i've thrown a sickie today . but a little physio could help . sooo - a dry fit shows that the rear spar is too big to go into the ribs . poo . - so i got out the flat plate and oilstone and rubbed down the sides untill it was a sliding fit .

[/left] time to get those extra ribs i need . . .
001-57.jpg
one wing . . .
002-48.jpg
. .Ooops , sorry officer , it spontaneously combusted . honest :devil:
003-33.jpg
. . a scrub with an old toothbrush . . .
004-25.jpg
. . . trim away the outside , wiggle the old spars out and i now have all i need , plus some spares . blimey , cannibalism + cookery classes now . is there no begining to my talents ? . . .
Edited by blimp

hi D , as for the Eduard Fokker , i used super glue - no need for solder as it is a very well thought out kit . (i went loopy and made a new u/c from Strutz . but the kit one is quite up to the task , just a bit too 2D for me . a few coats of white glue would build 'em up just as well) i replaced the wing spars with sq. rod and added some more bracing wires , spar compression tubes and rib webbing from stretched plasticard + odds n ends . . . . at some point i want to make an early version , Boelcke or Immelman's maybe , but that requires a new shorter fuselage , so this and the Morane are just for practice :mental::rofl::wacko::banghead:005-16.jpg

Edited by blimp

Thanks Blimp - That webbing looks brilliant and the machined cowling too, not sure id ever have the patience or insanity for this level of work, but at least ive got an example to follow :)

for the metal surfaces i used Bare metal foil , the pattern was scratched on with a pointy bit of wet n dry . although i made a cowling from aluminium the compund curves on the kit cowling can be done like this - http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/models/4...oil-finish.html

[/left]006-17.jpg
to give the wing more under camber i filled the ribs with oddments of rod etc. held them tight together and pressed them down onto the side of a coffee jar . . . .
007-10.jpg
not perfect , but the new shape is coming on , i'll re-anneal them and try for a bit more curve in them . the orignial profile is at the top .
- eeek , before the daylight goes i'd better get another gloss coat on the tabby . . . . .

. . . before i went any further i thought it would be a good idea to see if this will actually work -

[/left]002-49.jpg
. . . . . a test piece of wire was formed to fit the plans and a rib soldered in - success :analintruder:
001-58.jpg
. . . so a full outline is bent up from .015" brass wire . the joint will be in the cutout where it can be soldered to the rear spar , maximizing strength
003-34.jpg
the tabby has got it's motor in and lower cowling fitted . a small crankshaft boss cut from a heat stretched Q tip , cooling vents , a light polish and it'll be ready to foil . . .

- before i get too distracted with the Morane here's how far i've got with the wing . the rear spar needs trimming and the ends tapered , a bit of botchery on the half ribs at the ends , some sub spars and it'll be ready for soldering .

[/left] 002-50.jpg
. . . oh , i found a tiny illustration in 'Janes fighting aircraft of ww1 ' showing internal bracing and sub spars - not webbing as i thought (checking existing photos show 'solid' shadows , tapes would show up as intermitent ones ) that's fine by me , saves a job ! :P but i'll check how it all hangs later .
001-59.jpg

i tried some ally panelwork tonight . . .

[/left]001-61.jpg
. . . it does look rough , but working the surface with a finger and a nail sanding stick will reduces the harshness .
002-51.jpg
- a few rivets , access hatches , cowling strap , brass fuel caps and leather cockpit beading to do . then some oil stains using the 'top' of some black paint , applied via a cat hair or somesuch . hello there , puss . . . . :devil:

Blimp,

I promise I will never, ever complain aboutt a plastic kit not fitting properly again.

Your build is just mind blowing. :gobsmacked:

Lookig forward to the next update.

Deacon

005-17.jpg
. . . the colour scheme , what there is of it , on the tail - background for the a/c number from white decal stock , Sopwith logo from Microdecal #72-6 , numbers will be from the pegasus sheet . i may go totally mental and dig up some microscopic stencils yet . :lol:

;) nice arn't they . the RFC/RNAS early set is a good 'un too . i gotta build something for those union flags ! . . . . . some more tabby bits -
[/left]001-63.jpg
. . . much funnage was had getting the undercarriage on and all lined up , glued and primed . the cockpit leather combing is being built up with thick paint , brass fuel and oil tank caps , cowling strap from painted decal , rigging holes drilled and oil stains added . the struts are tempoarily fitted to the top wing with PVA for a final dry fit /trim before painting and i've started reprofiling the propeller . control horns will next , then it's time to start rigging !
Edited by blimp

Blimp,

Outstanding build my friend. That's on both models too. The bare metal cowl on the Tabby is truly impressive. As for the Morane L,nothing short of amazing.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

no 'Bobby buckles' on this one Deon . they are too big for 1/72 a dab of grey paint will represent the turn buckles .

[/left]006-18.jpg
. . . time for some knitting - all done in heat stretched sprue , from my stock of 'liberated' black cocktail sticks :rolleyes: fixed with super glue gel for precision and to reduce fogging . at around .001" it's finer than human hair . deliberately left a little slack to allow for some 'give' when i put the top plane on , after a final trim i'll tighten it up with carefully applied heat later . very touchy feely :analintruder:
003-36.jpg
. . . like this . and yes , i had to redo a few (!!!) but the worst is over now :elephant: - double flying wires , don't you just love 'em . . .
Edited by blimp

blimp,

Thi is the MOST incredible amazing build I have seen especially because there is such lovely detailing of your workmanship...The Diagrams etc...

STUNNING...OUTSTANDING Build..LOVE the Soppy...

HOUSTON :heart: