blimps 1/72nd sopwith tabloid + morane L bash

blimp

me again . i'm feeling much chipper today , i've even managed to tie my own shoelaces this morning :lol: who's a big boy then ! :P

[/left]more stuff . . . .
005-15.jpg
gonna do some struttin' today :elephant: . a rummage through the bin yielded a piece of material for the slatted floor , a throttle quadrant and instrument panel (the boomerang shaped thing) to go with the seat . rudder bar and control column will be bits of sprue . the seat harness will probably be a lap belt or possibly a french style one , but that can wait a mo .
004-20.jpg
a thickish lump of styrene card will be glued and trimmed to make the lower cowl - after i blank the firewall and fit the motor . . .
003-29.jpg
here are the interplane strut(z)'s being tweeked . Ooer , missus .
Edited by blimp

Hey T - really sorry to hear about your injury. What a complete bummer - get well soon.

(As usual a challenging and interesting build you're doing - nice one).

hi fella's , tonites episode of captain slow comes under ther title of - 'omigod! theres PAINT on it !' -

[/left]006-16.jpg
. . . dark structure with an overspray of 'linen'
004-21.jpg
. . . . and a cat hair , i'll pick it off when it's dry .
007-8.jpg
. . . . in a previous life i have laboriously masked each rib , spar , compession strut . . . ad tedium . but not this time matey .oh no , a rule and some lines drawn on with indelible (alcohol based) artist 'sketching pens' and you're laughing . any slips can be wiped off with some alcohol/methylated spirit on a rag , not that there were any of course . . . . :whistle: - tomorrows installment - 'how to weld spaghetti for fun and profit '
Edited by blimp

Looks good, you are making progress there

How is the hand?

in a previous life i have laboriously masked each rib , spar , compession strut . . . ad tedium . not this time matey . a rule and some lines drawn on with indelible (alcohol based) artist 'sketching pens' and you're laughing . any slips can be wiped off with some alcohol/methylated spirit on a rag , not that were any of course
:whistle:

Can you tell us more - this is not a technique I'm aware of ... but it seems to work!

it really is as easy as that , robert , just draw the spars etc. leave a while to allow it to dry thoroughly , then ghost on a layer of ENAMEL . not too much , keep the paint just 'damp' and leave it . do it 'wet' and the solvent can make the lines bleed through . when it's cured , build up the topcoats until your happy - sorted .don't use any form of acrylic it WILL disslove the lines . i used a mix of humbrol 74 darkened a bit with 68 , then a dash of gloss ivory (forgot the no.) to make a rich CLD colour , to represent the ' light shining through the wing ' a coat of klear will seal it all . top surfaces will need a variation of this technique . i'll come to that later .

Edited by blimp

the pens i have are by 'ZIG' (?) i brought 'em yonks ago . Hobbyst*res i think , the first time i tried it i used black , but it was too much of a contrast , for this all CDL scheme 'sepia' works better . be gentle , it's only my second go at it :P

Edited by blimp

Nice work, good to see an artistic approach. What colour are you spraying? I just bought an Iwata airbrush and matching compressor, so any colour tips would be helpful.

the pens i have are by 'ZIG' (?) i brought 'em yonks ago . Hobbyst*res i think , the first time i tried it i used black , but it was too much of a contrast , for this all CDL scheme 'sepia' works better . be gentle , it's only my second go at it :P
Thanks - I found them :)

' . . what colour are you spraying ? ' . . .

[/left]well , something like this i hope - :P
041-1.jpg
here's a piccie of the pens , they are fine pointy type .
012-3.jpg
Edited by blimp

Essentailly it's preshading but with marker pens instead of an airbrush, right? Or have I missed something.

Nice tip on this scale, but would look a bit straight and stark on 1/48, I should think.

pre shading - yup , thats it , another old farty moment :lol:

[/left] - as for 48th scale , take a butchers at dr tom morgans phenomenal 'lil DH2 . . . . http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Morgan/DH2/index.html
. . . and you think i'm daft . phew , someone open a window . . . . :whistle:
Edited by blimp

pre shading - yup , thats it , another old farty moment :lol:
[/left] - as for 48th scale , take a butchers at dr tom morgans phenomenal 'lil DH2 . . . . http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Morgan/DH2/index.html
. . . and you think i'm daft . phew , someone open a window . . . . :whistle:

It certainly is something special, isn't it? Also a bit mental, but in a good way. :-)

. . . . you could always do rib tapes the 'old skool' way , like this -

[/left]001-51.jpg
003-30.jpg
as the top surfaces will be paler , i'll use white to highlight the upper tapes , then dust on a lighter shade of CDL . all because some berk forgot to look for some 'white' pens :suicide:
004-22.jpg
rudder , elevators and top wing to do next . then i can do the final colour coat in one bash . now where's that spaghetti . . .
Edited by blimp

- for the upper sufaces i mixed some humbrol 63 (tan) with 41 (cream) to create a very pale fabric colour , killing the brilliance with a tiny bit of 33 (black) . 001-52.jpg

[/left]002-43.jpg
this was then sprayed onto the upper surfaces of the wings leaving the tapes just visible . the top of the fuselage and tailplane were done in the same hue . the fuselage sides recieved a faint dusting as well , giving a gradual change of tone from top to bottom .
004-23.jpg
and to round off a good day , as i pulled out the bluetack plug from the cockpit i went and dropped it .
. . . . pardon me while i go and bang my forehead against this wall here . . .
Edited by blimp

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( I hate when that happens )..

Condolance Cheers,

ggc

just a minor setback :stupid: it was a good idea to keep some of the paint mixes :D redoing it won't be hard , it just puts the build back 48hrs . i had hoped to get it clear coated then i could set it aside and get on with the u/c , motor etc.

[/left]003-31.jpg
i think i caught the effect rather well - compared to the Hendon replica . . .
050-1.jpg
sorry about the poo piccy , wonky paw and all that . as the repair is underway i'll be cooking some of that 'spaghetti' i've been on about :devil: . . . . should be enough here !
007-9.jpg
. . . . mrs B is rolling her eyes again . no dear , no need to phone the 'brigade - i know wot i'm doing . . . . sort of .
Edited by blimp

soldering the u/c was no drama at all :) it was very easy in fact , using a tile sized offcut of ali sheet (old loo door sign actually) with the datums / angles marked in pencil , oversized lengths of material were held in position with weights , the joints lightly dabbed with the solder paste via a cocktail stick . a micro torch takes but a moment to heat up , i allowed it to cool , then put a weight on that joint to absorb some of the heat as i did the next one = so no movement . clever eh? - the pencil torch is just the thing for such localized work . ( being alloy , the solder dosn't stick to the plate either , yesss) - i just had to snip to length , gently clean up with a file , curl up the ends with my pointy nose pliers and they were done . i'm still gobsmacked . i expected to faff about for ages :analintruder: .

[/left]001-53.jpg
i just have to find one of my spare 7 cylinder Gnomes and i can get going :yahoo:
p.s. the quack said i need to take it easy for another week , he hee .
Edited by blimp