Hunter F2

collywobble

Hi all

new to this forum and have just taking up modelling again (or is that again and again and again), My project, if possible to model each aircraft type I workrd on while in the RAF.

I would like to do the Hunter F2 (at Waterbeach as gate guard) now is there a model to build out there or can I convert an existing model? 1/72 scale.

Thanks

Colin

Edited by collywobble

Aeroclub do a kit to convert a Revell F6 to a Mk 1, which I think should be identical to the Mk2.

I've just finished converting a PJ resin F6 to the prototype as the back end looked a bit small for a F6 so all I had to do was sand the excess bits off

John

The F2 was powered by the Sapphire rather than the Avon, so there was a few differences in the vents and grills on the fuselage. In 1/48th scale you will need the Academy F6 kit with Aeroclub conversion - this has the correct narrow tailpipe, though you will need to de-dog-tooth the wings yourself - Airwaves may have a conversion for this.

In 1/72 you will need the Revell F6 - there are a few company's doing the narrow Avon-100/Sapphire tail end.

It rather depends on how far you intend to go (and the scale.) The Hunter F.2 was Sapphire-powered, which means that the grilles, NACA ducts, etc., were differently placed from those of the Avon-powered Marks. For a time, I "worked" on (played with) that airframe, while it was at Duxford, and found that the Sabrinas were slightly smaller (and that's a conflict in terms) than on later Marks; I've never seen this noted anywhere else, and have no idea when the size changed. Other than that (and a non-adjustable tailplane,) I can't think of anything.

When I was at Duxford, once, I met a former pilot, of that particular Hunter, who said that the Sapphire always made them nervous, because it "rumbled." It never failed, but he always felt that it might. He also told of an incident, when he was on QRA, sitting in the cockpit, with sweat dripping into his eyes, when a visiting senior officer taxied past, in a lovely light blue Meteor 8, imperiously waving to them, as he passed. He took off, but retracted the u/c too early, so that the Meteor sank back, and kissed the runway with the belly tank, thereby emitting a stream of fuel. He did a quick circuit, and landed back, and he said that they all took great pleasure in giving him a jolly wave, as he went past.

Edgar

The F2 was powered by the Sapphire rather than the Avon, so there was a few differences in the vents and grills on the fuselage. In 1/48th scale you will need the Academy F6 kit with Aeroclub conversion - this has the correct narrow tailpipe, though you will need to de-dog-tooth the wings yourself - Airwaves may have a conversion for this.

In 1/72 you will need the Revell F6 - there are a few company's doing the narrow Avon-100/Sapphire tail end.

we do an early hunter conversion for the academy kit :kissing2: