Iain's 1:35 Mk IV "Male" Tank

Iain Ogilvie

Ashamed to say no progress since I hit problem with the rails - and it now seems a pity to have the project stalled with most of it done.

Perhaps take a look at the weekend and see if I can get the rails fixed...

Will report back :)

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Ollie...

Dug it out tonight and rethunk those angle sections - in the kit one's and see if I can get some Plastruct from Howes in Kidlington Sat am.

Cutting it fine - but with a few wee details and that angle iron she's ready for paint - and I've still got until midnight Sat! :)

Quick coat of primer tonight:

180small142.JPG

180small143.JPG

180small144.JPG

Catch up with you guys again Saturday (hopefully!).

Iain

The slight gap between the tracks and the hull looks effective Iain - might try that on the Mk.V I have buried in the stash with a nice resin set that includes tracks, guns and machine guns, all for a little more than the cost of the AA tracks. IIRC, it's from Panzer Shop... I could be wrong though.

I was actually thinking about bending some brass sheet for my next attempt at the Fascine Rails, and soldering them on some kind of jig for ulitmate strength and scale thickness. If I could get the angles right on the jig, it'd be a much better job than the plaggy ones. Also, don't forget to add the extra stablising attachment to the rear, and the Fascine tie-down angle bar on the top of the forward cab box.

You can see the "ears" and should just be able to make out the extra Fascine Rail attachment point at the rear in this pic of my build :)

hull19.jpg

Thanks Mike,

That's useful input!

I now have some Plastruct section of the correct dimensions - so going to have a go at these tonight...

I *may* actually be on the verge of three milestones:

1. Actually finishing something...

2. Finishing something within the alloted Group Build time...

3. Built a target! ;)

I *won't*, however, pop any corks until 23.59 tomorrow when hopefully I have something complete! :)

Iain

OK - some shots...

Front bracketry fitted - along with the machine guns - made from Aluminium tube for the outer - and steel hyperdermic for center. Slightly oversize at 3mm o/d - and they should be 2.5mm o/d - but I think they look OK. Ends were radiused down using a file.

180small145.JPG

180small146.JPG

180small147.JPG

180small148.JPG

180small150.JPG

Am going to 'cheat' and leave out the ears Mike added as they don't appear on all - and I'm in a hurry ;)

Just over 7 hours to go - back shortly :)

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Cheers Mike :)

In primer:

180small151.JPG

180small152.JPG

180small153.JPG

Off to spray the white of the ID markings now...

Won't be using any of the kit decals - as they pre-date the ID markings (red and white Cavalry colours I believe) and I've seen pics with the ID bands and no other markings - so for simplicity that's what I'm doing :)

Iain

Cheers Mish...

White is now on - but taking an age to harden off for masking - or perhaps I'm being impatient! :hobbyhorse:

My three year old, Cameron, has been sat with me - 'helping' :)

Iain

OK - white hard enough (just!) - masked and red stripe added. Not easy masking over all those rivets!

180small154.JPG

180small155.JPG

Also cleaned up exhaust components - last section of pipe is steel tube:

180small156.JPG

And I forgot I had this rust kit. Working on therory that nothing looks more like rust than, er, well, rust I guess - this is what I'm tempted to use on the exhuast:

180small157.JPG

And here's where I didn't wipe out the mixing pot last time - iron filings + chemicals = rust :)

180small158.JPG

BRB...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

:P

OK - base green is ON! :)

Another quick coat of that once all dry - then another pass with slightly browner shade of same green (Lifecolor Italian Dk Green).

It's all down to drying times now!!!

Iain