1/72 Antonov An-72....finished

mitchem

Couldn't help but notice the reference to building more than one kit at a time earlier.

This is frowned upon as it could be seen as multi-tasking which is as you are well aware is not allowed or to be encouraged in the male of the species !

Love the build by the way !!

• 3 weeks later...

Shoot !

Sand, fill, sand, fill, prime, sand, fill, prime, angle grind, fill, prime............(throw against the wall...)

• Just about finished off the fuselage.
  • Need to re-scribe the wings again after discovering the outboard bits had different aerofoil profiles to the central section ! (The wing section hasn't been permanently attached to the fuselage yet).
  • Then it's onto undercarriage legs.....

18.jpg

19.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Progressing very slowly.

• Undercarriage legs completed and in place. (Spent a long time carving the plastic out between the internal struts for no apparent reason whatsoever - they can't be seen !)
  • Finished rescribing the wings and fitted the flap hinges
  • Attached the gun pod (Starboard side)
  • Attached the two underwing weapon pylons
  • Painted up the wheels

20.jpg

I reckon this one is almost ready for the paint shop....

Edited by mitchem
  • Like 1

I too have this kit and am looking forward to building it as a Mozambiqan bird. VERY nice build! I think I'll get cracking on mine soon (sure, it can happen!) And address the cockpit the same way you did with the extra details.

Cheers,

WARDOG

• 4 weeks later...

What? The kitchen floor beckons...?!

Yup !

I've been on the kitchen floor this weekend with the airbrush and compressor. :mental:

Finished off the engine pods while the wing section was still detached. (Glad I did as it wouldn't have been easy to do the bits facing the fuselage otherwise).

21.jpg

Spent some time trying to decide between Light Stone and Sand for the pale colour. Eventually opted for the Light stone but now realise I may have made a mistake.

Oh well....."stuff" happens, hey.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pressing on, I've completed the painting of the outer wing sections (although I'm still holding out on joining the wing / engine section to the fuselage permanently !!!) The camouflage demarcation is a bit fuzzier than it should be but that's because I gave up on the "White-Tac" sausages and opted to spray freehand.

23.jpg

22-1.jpg

Comparing it to photos on the Internet, I'm kind of pleased with the light stone colour after all !

(Nice to be able to take photos outdoors for a change)

Edited by mitchem
  • Like 1

Nice work Michael! What paints are you using, they look really glossy - xtracolor? Haven't compared it to pictures, but I like the light stone colour too - the green & brown are quite fetching as well!!

And I thought you were on hols, which is why you can't make the comp. on Wednesday....??!! (you'll be sorry you missed it, you could have had a great laugh at my effort, been a catalogue of errors & disasters this week...!! (no doubt Gav will take piccies as evidence though!! :D )

• 1 month later...

Hurtling towards the finish line............at snail's pace.

Top colours on !

25.jpg

24.jpg

P.S. The blue patch on the tail is meant to be there - honest :shutup:

I'd like to think that my fear of freehand airbrushing has been well and truly crushed ! :hobbyhorse:

m

• 4 weeks later...

Shucks !

Nearly stumbled at the end. Bought a couple of sheets of generic serial numbers and Russian Stars, only to find that the font didn't match the photo I was working from.....and the Stars didn't either....

:weep:

No choice then but to make my own :

Fuselage serial

28.jpg

Underwing serial

29.jpg

Star

30.jpg

(Sorry for the fuzzy pics - magnified too many times !!!)

Then disaster struck ! Glued the top wing onto the fuselage with Superglue, only to discover the following morning that the glue had decided to escape down the side of the fuselage. Of course, by the time I made the discovery, there was a veritable glacier of dried glue. :badmood:

No choice but to pull out the old 240 grit and sand the damaged bit down to the bare plastic, followed by a re-spray job. Brute force, ignorance and an airbrush managed to overcome the setback ! :fight:

Good news is that I can see the finish line from here. Hope to have some photos in RFI later this week.

:yahoo: