PB4Y-1 Navy Liberators, Academy 1/72

As threatened, and because the hobby room is temporarely occupied by visit of our offsprings,

and to maybe encourage those not wanting to spend a fortune on Hasegawa Libs, some pics of Academy models built in 2004 but not documented as a WIP.

Consolidated B-24D / PB4Y-1 US Navy Fleet Air Wing 7 / VB-103, 1943/44

Bureau Nbr 32035 / B-5 „E“ - Muck’s Mauler

RAF Dunkeswell

Lost with Crew of 13, Dec 28, 1944 on ferry flight to USA.

MM0504026.jpg

The model is more or less “OOB” except for Falcon clear parts for the turrets, partly dropped flaps and rear scanning windows from Cristal Clear.

MM0504024.jpg

Pictures in “Bombers in Blue” and some modelling data suggested at this time in 2004 the top camo colour to be dark Sea Blue.

MM0504017.jpg

Hi Popeye,

i think your "4 by 1" looks excellent. i wouldn't change a thing (emphasis added). i don't see many people doing the Atlantic scheme, but yours is very well executed. It compliments your Halifax nicely.

One of these days i need to finish my Matchbox "4 by 2". I got this thing for worn out Pacific three-tone paint schemes....

Well Done!

Cheers,

david

Companion in Sea Grey:

Consolidated B-24M / PB4Y-1 US Navy Fleet Air Wing 7 / VPB-103 1944/45

Bureau Nbr 90474 / B-12 “M” - Piccadilly Pam

RAF Dunkeswell

Scrapped at Stillwater, Oklahoma after WW II

PicPam0804006.jpg

more to follow when pics ready

• Like 1

Also generally “OOB”, the “M”-variant was also improved with Falcon clear parts, homemade cowling gill flaps vacuformed from thin plasticard and set in partially open position.

PicPam0804003.jpg

The astrodome for the navigator was moved to the rear behind the wing – most probably a field modification judging from repainting shown on reference pics.

PicPam0804001.jpg

The bomb bay doors were simulated partly open as was usual practice on parked Liberators.

They were often left open to ventilate the bomb bay as leaking fuel from the wing tanks tended so seep into the bay.

PicPam0804010.jpg

Both models were built with the APS-15 Radar “bowl” in place of the ventral ball turret.

PicPam0804011.jpg

Paint used was Vallejo Air Acrylics with liberal post shading to try to replicate the repaints and “service wear” visible in pictures.

Additional weathering and highlighting was applied with watercolours and pastels.

You never know Daz, it was just announced in their last newsletter, without much details.

But I've every confidence in what marking options they'll give us.

It's always been a plus at eduard.

Edited by Antoine

Chosing to model those Libs from FAW 7 was somehow a deviation - maritime armed reconnaissance was a substitute.

Actually I wanted to build an F-7 Photo recce version but did not succeed in finding enough reference in spite of having had access to several books.

The subject of F-7's still seems to be quite elusive .....

Any hints and help very much appreciated :spudniksmurf:

popeye

Me Likee!

This is the FIRST Academy 4 By 1 i've seen thats built well. I really dig that ERCO bow turret.

One thing that puzzles me, is why no aftermarket company has come to the fore with the very late "V-Shaped" windscreen and canopy. It looks so cool. Am i missing something?

Well Done! FLY NAVY!

david

Edited by David H

Darren is correct. They had Dyslexia back in WWII as well as now, LOL. It DOES roll off the tongue more easily.

You are absolutely right about the F-7. Really a murky area, that one, like Brewster Corsairs.

Cheers,

david

Thanks David - checking 4 by 1 - but still wonder why " 4 by 2 " for Halibags ?

cheers, popeye

Hi Popeye,

Oops, i'm sorry about that. "4 by 2" was referring to the Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer. I must have had a contextual trainwreck when i wrote that last posting.

Cheers,

david

• 1 year later...