New artwork for Airfix Walrus online

John

...which would make it an interesting challenge.

Is there much reference material about for a Walrus interior?

and the kit is how old? 1958 I think?

Still better than the SMER 1/48 offering with raised mouldings for the markings!!!

Still better than the SMER 1/48 offering with raised mouldings for the markings!!!

Timbo!

I have the SMER boxing. Panel lines are engraved (as are the mouldings for the markings). Ignoring the engraving for the markings, the panel lines are totally wrong. Lots of filler!

I have put up the major parts against a set of blown up Aviation News plans and they are an exact match. Rib detail needs removal with a rasp methinks and the engine is basic. Other than that (and for a fiver) it looks like a lot of modelling fun and I have serious plans to let rip on this one and post progress. Maybe some time this year..........

As for resources, try this:

http://plane-crazy.purplecloud.net/Aircraf...ine_walrus.html

there was another site that I can't find at the moment which I made a note of somewhere and basically shows the guts of the RAAF restoration of HD874 and one or two others. I will dig it out. In the meantime try these:

http://rosssmodels.hobbyvista.com/RAAFwalrus.htm

Coming back to the Airfix boxing, I see Argentinian markings. As I have said before someone at Airfix/Hornby needs to be cogratulated on imaginative options.

Hope this helps

MH

raised mouldings for the markings!!!

might have been better that way

the mother of the all mad trumpy rivetters went to town on the Smer kit. but wot Max sez!

think it will scrub up well with a bit of effort

nice piccies thanks for those

and i like the box art - reckon it could be Biggles in peril there! very scary :yikes:

Any use?:

Er... Yep!

That looks like a challenge!

I'm just taking a break from making some brackets out of a coke can (thanks for the tip walrus) which I think I'd need a lot more practice at before tackling something like this!

. Other than that (and for a fiver) it looks like a lot of modelling fun and I have serious plans to let rip on this one and post progress. Maybe some time this year..........

As for resources, try this:

http://plane-crazy.purplecloud.net/Aircraf...ine_walrus.html

there was another site that I can't find at the moment which I made a note of somewhere and basically shows the guts of the RAAF restoration of HD874 and one or two others. I will dig it out. In the meantime try these:

http://rosssmodels.hobbyvista.com/RAAFwalrus.htm

Coming back to the Airfix boxing, I see Argentinian markings. As I have said before someone at Airfix/Hornby needs to be cogratulated on imaginative options.

Hope this helps

MH

Please don't go digging out anything on my account, I was just asking because it's the first question I'd ask if considering something as a project.

This might be worth considering though... there is something kinda stylish and glamorous about this planes as there is about most bi-planes, and most float planes.

yeah... it has a touch of Biggles about it. You can almost smell the Brylcreem.

It looks like the Walrus has had it on the Boxart!

Didn't know the Argentines flew them - strange how Airfix is doing a well known scheme and then something completely unknown...

Didn't know the Argentines flew them - strange how Airfix is doing a well known scheme and then something completely unknown...

I think if the more unusual schemes sparks someone's interest and make them want to find out more about a subject, then its a good hook for keeping people engaged in the hobby.

It's a nice scheme and there are some good pics of an Argentian Walrus on a cat iirc

personally i think it is a good move IF Airfix can get the quality of the decals sorted, then it saves having to source these schemes aftermarket- freeing up funds to buy more kits :D

Edited by walrus

"She comes out of the water and waddles up the slipway like a duck!"

(with an added bonus of the Andrew's Sisters for Edgar ) :P

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/airc...rus-mkii-a02002

sitting duck

nice shagbat Milne

the panel lines are totally wrong.

Max, iirc the difference twixt the MkI and MkII is that one was wooden, the other aluminium- could this account for some discrepancy?

Edited by walrus

It's a nice scheme and there are some good pics of an Argentian Walrus on a cat iirc

personally i think it is a good move IF Airfix can get the quality of the decals sorted, then it saves having to source these schemes aftermarket- freeing up funds to buy more kits :D

No need for "ifs", all the recent releases (Mossie, SHARs, MiG, Sea King, Bucc, Hurricane...) are from Cartograf.

Hi All,

That interior colour looks more like Zinc Chromate than interior green, or is it just the quality of the photo's? Just had the revell/matchbox Walrus kit brought for me.

Have to say I have never built the Airfix kit, but I have seen some builds of it on the net and it looks like it can be finished well, however like a lot of early Airfix kit it needs a lot of work. Do like the look of the Smer kit even if it does need some work, is it still available?

Doug.

Edited by Doug

Hi All,

That interior colour looks more like Zinc Chromate than interior green, or is it just the quality of the photo's? Just had the revell/matchbox Walrus kit brought for me.

Doug.

If you look at some of the fittings you can see the original Grey Green behind some of the components, which look like they have shielded it from a later respray.

John

Max, iirc the difference twixt the MkI and MkII is that one was wooden, the other aluminium- could this account for some discrepancy?

Walrus!

The mk.I was metal hulled and built by Supermarine. The mk.II was wooden hulled and built by Saunders Roe. The mk. II had better control in the water and tended only to be used for training. The point I was making was that SMER (Merit originally?) have engraved the detail, but is totally wrong! They would have you believe that the fuselage was made entirely of identical rectangular panels.

One further point whilst I remember, IIRC only the SAR 'boats had the grab rails around the hull.

MH