Space 1999 Eagle Transporter - can you buy them?

n.vodden

Hi everybody!

Being a Gerry Anderson fan ( mainly Space:1999 and UFO ) I thought i'd try a different subject than WW2 aircraft and have a go at building an Eagle.

I've had a look around and can only find loads of scratchbuild articles. Does anybody produce a kit of this fantastic craft that is still available?

If not i may well give the scratchbuild a shot :)

Thanks in advance

Neil - IT

Yeppers they did do a kit. Airfix was the original and then AMT reboxed them in 1999 - go figure huh? There are several kits available in resin including the Hawk. They can be pricey but if you feel the itch, scratch away :)

The old Sci-Fi and fantasy modeller magazine did a full issue dedicated to Space:1999 and included a rather nice article about making the Airfix/MPC more accurate. This included reducing the width of the top of the spine/frame, reducing the depth of the pod and (if you are brave) more accurately depicting the walk-way area frames at either end of the pod.

It was a really good issue that one.

Karl

Airfix did the Eagle and Hawk with MPC in the US (not actually sure who owns the moulds). As said above AMT did a repop. Only other injected kit I know of was by IMAI in Japan.

Also needing changed on the Airfix kit is the landing gear. Instead of a load of struts they only have a block of plastic that you stick the leg/pad on to.

Currently trying to fix up an Airfix Eagle wreck for a mate and then I've got a Hawk to do for him too.

Paul Harrison

Yeppers they did do a kit. Airfix was the original and then AMT reboxed them in 1999 - go figure huh? )

Nope. The Airfix kit was a repop of the Fundemension/AMT/MPC one.

It's not regarded as being particulary accurate either. Point your brower here:

http://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/index.php

All you could wish to know about building an Eagle and Anderson models in general.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

You're right there Max, they must of had Hundreds of the things stashed in that underground hanger!

Paul Harrison

Am I the only one who thinks that Moonbase Alpha was very lucky to be equipped with a seemingly endless supply of Eagles? They must have trashed at least half a dozen every episode.

MH

I think that's the least of the "problems" with the series - the list is endless!

Used to love it but it is SO dated now. Gimme UFO anyday (and the up and coming movie hopefully).

Still love the Eagle though.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the IMAI Eagle Transporter plastic kit on Ebay about a year ago. (Haven't built it yet.) For your information, I think its scale is about 1/144.

The Product Enterprise Diecast model Eagle (about 1/72 scale)regularly appears on Ebay (there are at least two different versions, I think Rescue and Nuclear Transport). It's a really beautiful model, but heavy. (I bought one in a local toyfair for £15.)

I really would like a 1/72 plastic kit Eagle if there's one going. I just love putting LED lights and stuff in things.

Edited by believer

You're right there Max, they must of had Hundreds of the things stashed in that underground hanger!

Paul Harrison

Would that be the underground hanger with the gantry crane that can apparently travel through a solid wall?

Wonderful escapist television, just remember to suspend your credibility before you watch it. It's a pity they've stopped showing the reruns on ITV4 at the moment.

• 1 month later...

If you go to federationmodels.com and under the models section, click on Warp models. They have a 1/72nd scale Eagle listed. It is not cheap, cost $130 USD. They also say it is for advanced modelers, which leaves me out. Good luck.....

I'm still puzzling the concept of making the kit of the Eagle Transporter more accurate - the bluddy thing was a figment of Gerry Anderson's incredibly active imagination. How on earth do you make something more accurate when the thing never existed???

I think I'll go and lie down now for a while...that was all too taxing to my ever-decreasing grey cell supply.

I'm still puzzling the concept of making the kit of the Eagle Transporter more accurate - the bluddy thing was a figment of Gerry Anderson's incredibly active imagination. How on earth do you make something more accurate when the thing never existed???

AHA but it did exist, :P there were several models of it at the studio where SPACE 1999 was made,and comparison with these photos (plus what we see onscreen ) shows the airfix /mpc kit to be woefully inaccurate.... what does my head in is how you can determine the scale of a model of a model..... is the Product Enterprises eagle 1/87th of what the eagle would have been full size or a 1/6th scale model of the filming miniature.....?

• 3 months later...
Am I the only one who thinks that Moonbase Alpha was very lucky to be equipped with a seemingly endless supply of Eagles? They must have trashed at least half a dozen every episode.

MH

I agree with you and this is a real good plot hole. Ever Star Trek: Voyager is doing the same!! They crashed so much of their shuttlecrafts yet they seems to have spares somewhere.

One of the ideas I like to think of to explain away Moonbase Alpha's endless supplies of Eagles is to say that they are lucky enough to turn their workshop into a factory to build more Eagles and don't forget that some of the Eagles crashed on the Moon so they could bring it back and repair them.

Well, it is set 11 years ago!

Geez.... Now that does make me feel old! A Sci-Fi series that I used to enjoy when I was a kid, that I used to believe was set in the distant future was set 11 years ago!!!

Edited by busdriver

You are forgetting Enzo's First Law of Television The camera never lies. Therefore everything you see on telly is a documentary.

Eagles were built and flown. and to prove it... Linky

That's some pretty impressive 3D modelling and Photoshoppery. The "in-flight" stuff is pretty good, but the "static park" is awesome. The way the lighting on the models matches the real backgrounds is just brilliant!

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon