312 T4

nick

Here's the tarmac and a little work on the rear wing

4826160209_745c34fa35_b.jpg

4826164355_2fe613a768_b.jpg

4826773604_fe658f4ff6_b.jpg

Amazed at how much difference the background makes, I guess it's a subconscious thing with your brain looking for clues if it's seeing a model or not. Made a mental note of this anyway!

Nick

That is very impressive looking Tarmac Nick - any hints as to how you did it?!

And that last picture is just fantastic - now I'm definitely not convinced you're not posting pics of the real thing!! Outstanding!!

Keef

Edited by keefr22

That is very impressive looking Tarmac Nick - any hints as to how you did it?!

And that last picture is just fantastic - now I'm definitely not convinced you're not posting pics of the real thing!! Outstanding!!

Keef

Tarmac is Coarse grade sandpaper from B&Q spray mounted to a backing board. quick wipe of polyfilla over the gaps, sparayed with grey primer, then a Mig dark wash. sandpaper a bit to get the highlights et voila!

Nick

Heres a few more. Just the instrument panel left to do now. This is one is eye level and needs the background removing.

4827133803_19c6949f21_b.jpg

Really finished the plumbing now

4827138483_f2b7427dd8_b.jpg

Here's a strange phenomenen, when I print out my accurately scaled vector instrument panel at 5mm diameter it's illegible. When I scan my print at 600dpi, it's readable again. I don't know if this is an effect of inkjet printing system, or just plain physics. I've been playing around with it and by overscaling the numbers and needles it looks spot on when viewed with the naked eye. The vector is a mile out to get the right effect as you can see:-

4829911165_15343411c2.jpg4823003529_f0fa43ba32.jpg

Any Physicists out there than can explain this? This isn't my printer by the way, it's down at 1 picolitre droplets and a claimed 1440dpi so this should be well within it's capabilities. My theory is that the anti-aliasing to get smooth curves exaggerates and thins the white on black, ie all the grey shades encroach on the white lines, which are realitvely thin anyway, and get lost altogether with distance but become visible when magnified (scanned).

Anyway, get these puppies fitted, hopefully tonight and then I'm done and will be wheeling her into the showroom

Nick

My theory is that the anti-aliasing to get smooth curves exaggerates and thins the white on black, ie all the grey shades encroach on the white lines, which are realitvely thin anyway, and get lost altogether with distance but become visible when magnified (scanned).

Good theory Nick.... :blink: (actually you lost me after you said theory!! :wacko::D )

Keef

Found a great font for replicating the Dymo labels on the instrument panel. Not sure if my printer is up to printing down to that size - watch this space

4810575966_d27c6777b2_b.jpg

I think thats when it started to go wrong in F1, when they stopped using Dymo labels!

Beautifully crafted model of a great car driven by the most talented racer of all time.

Richard McC

I think I am declaring this finished now. Plumbed in the instrument panel last night and finished the wiring detail. Just need to take some photos tonight, maybe tomorrow if it's sunny and I will be rolling her into the gallery.

Planning to try and replicate the camera angles and lighting of my reference photographs and pairing the model and full size shots for the gallery. I've made everything else unnecessarily complex for this bloody project so why stop now :)

Nick

Completely, utterly, totally - stunning!!

Abslutely fabulous model Nick, one to be proud of!!

Keef

And the same from me as well.

Don't be tempted to take it on the A55 for a quick blast though Nick.

Chris.

• 1 month later...
OK Stumped up for the (admittedly getting on a bit) modelersite download pdf for the super detail build of this kit. Wow, all bets are off, now I know how to wire the distributor properly as well as replicate the fibreglass - watch this space. Not sure about stumping up for a full CNC mill and Lathe at this stage but I think I can make a better job of the wheels now anyway.

Don't know if you have seen these pfds before, they are a bit mixed to be honest, rubbish photos by modern standards, but this one has some gems in it - such as airbrushing primer mixed with microballoons to rough up a casting texture - genius. Also secret weapon - Plasti-dip not heard of this before but looks bloody brilliant, all will be revealed ;)

Nick

Hi Nick

I was watching your build about the Tamiya T4 and looks terrific. I'm the author of the PDF you bought in January. Think that the article was done in 2002 and published in 2003, I worked during a period of 6 months to build and write the large article which was focused in newcomers. When I built the model ( my 3rd T4 in 20 years), you couldn't find almost nothing about the car or model, I got some references of the T5 and few pictures B&W of the T4, I'm proud of the PDf, as helped a lot of young modelers, during the last 6 years, to build their first T4.

In 2002 my best digital camera had 1280 pixels and cost US$1200 LOL, we are working to update the PDf with new pictures but would be impossible to take new ones during the build anyway.

I was wondering if you would like to write for us an article as 2nd part, like an improving and weathering the kit. If so let me know to my private email [email protected]

Keep up modelling!

Take care

Mario Covalski

Editor

http://www.modelersite.com

• 7 months later...