Tamiya 1/32 Spit Mk.IXc in desert scheme

Ay'up,

This is a bloody amazing kit....I really can't fault it at all. Even having to cut out the masks for the canopy was a cinch.

So, I decided, or rather my wife decided I should build this in the Polish Fighting Squadron desert sheme, and I'd never done desert camo EVER, so I did this with some trepidation. I used Gunze paint throughout, sealed in between 'jobs' with Klear, and the wash is done with MIG enamel based wash which might just wean me off those oil washes I'm used to. I mixed a 50:50 Xtracolor Flat and Satin varnish to finish.

The kit is built OOB with the exception of a few Mike Grant decals and a bit of lead wire in the cockpit.

These pics are hot off the press...

DSC03287.jpg

DSC03288.jpg

DSC03289.jpg

DSC03290.jpg

DSC03292.jpg

DSC03294.jpg

DSC03295.jpg

DSC03296.jpg

DSC03297.jpg

DSC03298.jpg

DSC03300.jpg

Edited by James H

Absolutely terrific result, especially the painting and weathering. But according to accumulated wisdom, WWII Spits didn't carry red crowbars. If they were present, they were unpainted, black or interior green. For me, it doesn't detract from what is a superb result, but you're after critique.

Jeff

That is a beautiful,beee-oootiful,Spitfire-build !! :clap2::Tasty:

Well done !!

Top Kudos,to YOU !! :beer::yahoo:

Mind You.....

i DO wish that Tamiya,had done their homework,regards the Early Mk.IXc Upperwing Cannon-Bulges !! :wall::doh::oops:

Remember it was a more Tear-Drop shape,than what Tamiya did !!...."What Wallies !!" :oops: again !!

If you'd done the LATER Mk.IXc,then it woudn't EVEN be an issue !!

Otherwise it is a bloody good kit !!

Cheers,Bazza.

I DO wish that Tamiya,had done their homework,regards the Early Mk.IXc Upperwing Cannon-Bulges !!

Remember it was a more Tear-Drop shape,than what Tamiya did !!...."What Wallies !!"

If you'd done the LATER Mk.IXc,then it woudn't EVEN be an issue !!

Otherwise it is a bloody good kit !!

Cheers,Bazza.

Although not exactly correct, Tamiya aren't that far out. Remember that the early IXs were conversions of the Westland-built Vc, which had to have a bulge broad enough to cover two 20mm cannon, and one of the feeds was always very close to the front of the compartment. I haven't been able to find a clear photo of a newly-built Castle Bromwich IXc with the wide bulge, but it's entirely possible that they were able to make their covers with less "front." From what I've found, Tamiya's bulge really only needs a couple of swipes with a sanding stick. The narrow bulge wasn't put into production until January, 1944, but was treated as a retrospective item, so even a converted airframe was likely to have them during that year.

SpitfireVcTropJL379.jpg

Edgar

Although not exactly correct, Tamiya aren't that far out. Remember that the early IXs were conversions of the Westland-built Vc, which had to have a bulge broad enough to cover two 20mm cannon, and one of the feeds was always very close to the front of the compartment. I haven't been able to find a clear photo of a newly-built Castle Bromwich IXc with the wide bulge, but it's entirely possible that they were able to make their covers with less "front." From what I've found, Tamiya's bulge really only needs a couple of swipes with a sanding stick. The narrow bulge wasn't put into production until January, 1944, but was treated as a retrospective item, so even a converted airframe was likely to have them during that year.

SpitfireVcTropJL379.jpg

Edgar

Thanks for that info,(& Picture),Edgar,i knew i could rely on Ya !!

So,in retrospective,i'm wrong,& i'm right.....(sort-of !!)

Cheers,Bazza.

• 2 weeks later...