Hawker Hurricane and D Day

Robert

By the time of the D-Day invasion was the Hurricane removed from Europe and therefore there are none with invasion stripes ?

Robert

Corgi have done a Mk.II carrying invasion stripes and their research is generally well respected. There's a picture of the model here:

http://www.comet-miniatures.com/search.php...s_for=hurricane

Jeff

Edited to say Mk.II not Mk.I!

Edited by Jeff Wilson

By the time of the D-Day invasion was the Hurricane removed from Europe and therefore there are none with invasion stripes ?

Robert

By D-Day the Hurricane had been removed from operational units in NW Europe. However, known examples with 'D-Day stripes' are the Hurricane IIs used by the Air Dispatch Letter Service and 137 Sqn's 'hack' (the 2nd TAF Typhoon squadron Hurricane hacks had been removed shortly before D-Day and replaced by Austers but 137 was still in ADGB and kept theirs). The 83 OTU markings on the Corgi model are based on a photo ... but why a Wellington OTU in the northern Midlands, with an establishment of only 4 Hurricanes - presumably for bomber defence training - should have stripes at least one of its Hurricanes is a bit puzzling.

CT

Thanks for your answers gents.

Chris, any idea where I can see some pics of those ?

Robert

There are photos of fully-striped ADLS (aka 1697 Flt) Hurricanes in M.J.F.Bowyer's 'Aircraft for the Many'. A distant shot of 137's Hurricane I (NB. not a Mk II) c. Oct 44 when it had 'half stripes' (it probably had full stripes earlier) and profile in 2ndTAF Vol.4 p.701. Apologies for the advertising.

CT

• 1 year later...

Another Hurricane unit to see service during D-Day was 1449 Flight RAF, that was station on the Isle of Scilly

I modelled one of their Hurricanes (BE173) for a group build a couple of years ago on the Airfix Tribute Forum

1149Flight01a.jpg

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...

A quick Google Images search comes up with some D-Day striped Hurris;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hurricane+d+day&safe=strict&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjT3eCosPfXAhVH0RQKHWG9BcsQ_AUICigB&biw=1370&bih=541

Image result for hurricane d day

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to p.141 of MJF Bowyer's Aircraft For the Many (mentioned above by Chris Thomas), the first of these depicts MW367 "B" "Jessie" (name forward and below windscreen) of ADLS at airfield B.2, France.  There is also another photo of the aircraft in the third pic, from a slightly different angle, on p.142 of Bowyer.  For some reason that currently eludes me I judged that photo to show the other side of MW367: not too sure about that now as the rear edge of the invasion stripes is parallel with the Sky band on the port side photo and definitely at an angle to it in the starboard side shots.  ADLS operated at least 8 MW-serialled Hurricanes.

FI-D is from 83 OTU, Peplow, Shropshire, a Wellington unit which presumably used it for fighter affiliation purposes.  NB no cannon.  (ADLS aircraft retained cannon but carried no ammunition!)

Edited by Seahawk

Meant to add these;

ADLS,... Showing the urgent mail being removed from every nook and cranny,.....well underwing tanks and wireless compartments.

Image result for adls hurricane

Related image

Image result for adls hurricane

Cannons were retained by the ADLS Hurricane`s after D-Day but later in 1944 they were deleted and just stubs remained.

Cheers

Tony

Edit,.....note the RAF marked Stinson L-1 Vigilant in the background in the first photo,.. Gen. Harry Crerar, GOC 1st Canadian Corps/Army used one of these as his personal aircraft and it may be this aircraft? 

Image result for stinson vigilant canada  

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1