1/48 Chipmunk T.10 Royal Navy

Very Nice indeed!

Mike

• 7 months later...

Hi Steve, glad you like her! Her being a Roborough-based bird was the other reason for me building her in this scheme specifically, as most of my airborne time has been spent flying from Plymouth, ever since I was rather young (10 or so); Dad flies with the club there!

The Chipmunk is a lovely aeroplane, and a worthy subject for a model any time, I reckon - go ahead and build one!

Superb.The only aircraft i have actually had control of was a Royal Navy Chipmunk at RNAS Culdrose,so this brings back happy memories.

Airfix make or made on in 1:72. As for 1:48 Aeroclub did one but it doesnt turn up very often. I believe Heritage Aviation have one on their list of coming soon.

Hello Mr. Airfix

It's about time this subject made it to 1/24 th! :door:

Edited by Tony Whittingham

Dave that is a fantastic job, both on the scratch build and the superb detailing.

You're clearly no slouch with the finishing either, it looks almost flyable! ( much like the real thing) :lol:

I have a 1/48 aeroclub chipmunk as well but it's not Vac-form... but it is multi media, it's a while since I last looked at it but I think the canopy is vac formed.

Aeroclub did two versions.

A full vacform with white metal appendages and a multi-media kit - the later replaced the vac with short run injection parts (apart from the canopy). I'm pretty sure they also upgraded some of the white metal as well as introduced a new decal sheet along the way, if I recall correctly.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Thanks for the kind words once again, folks! At some point, I'm going to see about bashing out a JP and maybe piston Provost to keep the Chippie company.

Marty, that sounds right r.e. the Aeroclub version; I've not had one myself, but came across them quite a bit during the research for this build!

• 3 years later...

That's a crackin' model of the Chippie, I'm jealous!

I'm just trying to get into modelling seriously, my only previous experience is from my early teens; clumsy glue fingerprints etc...

At the moment it's a case of "all the gear, no idea!" as I've purchased an airbrush that I've yet to use in anger and I've a STACK of models, mostly 1:48, just crying out for some attention.

Sadly, one of those 1:48 models is never going to be touched by me; it's sounds very defeatist but I'm too scared to start it for fear of trashing it, it's the Aeroclub Chipmunk in Vacform. I just don't know where to start with it and want it to go to a modeller who can really make something of it.

To that end, it's on eBay and it ends in just under 3 days; item number: 190945570616. As rare as they are, I'll wait to get my hands on one of the resin Chippies. (Sorry to pedal my wares on here, by the way; just thought that if somebody's on the look out for a 1:48 Chippie they probably scan these pages. Similarly, if anyone can point me in the diection of a resin Chippie, please do so!!)

Cheers.

Dave, that's absolutely superb in every respect - pure craftsmanship. Thanks for showing it to us. The Chippie was the first aeroplane in which I got to handle the controls (been few others since then...) so it's great to see one so well made.

Jon

Dave, thats amazing work, cant believe its scratch built - even better as its a Janner bird :thumbsup:

Like a lot of others on here its the first aircraft I flew in (even if it was up the road in Exeter!!!!!!).

cheers

Simon