WWII Aircraft Colours Retro

Radar

Hi All,

I had the Schiffer book on Moogram models bought for me for Christmas by my better half and I must admit its got the nostagia bug going in me. I have had the urge to go a bit retro and build some of the Monogram kits that I saw in Sid Sharrocks model shop window in Derby but could not afford to buy in the mid 1960's when I was a kid with half a crown to spend. So I've gone a bit mad on e-Bay this last month and bought (in the original boxes) a 1:48 Spitfire Mk9, Hurricane, Mossie, P-38, and Hellcat, so that's all my pocket money gone til March!

Anyhow, I intend to build these models as straight out the box as posible but to do them justice as far as I can. I have started a Monogram Kingfisher this week (purchased at Telford for a fiver last year), which is coming along quite well, but my main point of this post is paint colours. I have a collection of some old Humbrol, some new, some Tamiya and Mr Hobby acrylics and some Revell enamels. I would like to airbrush the WW2 Monogram models with enamels where poss but will use acylics if I have to, the difficulty lies in the paint pot numbers. I know that the Spit is light grey underneath and Ocean grey and green on top but what Humbrol and Revell paint numbers are the closest match? It doesn't matter if they are gloss or matt as I will Klear the models for decalling anyway but it really confusing since the Humbrol Authenticolour system disapeared as to which are the right colours.

Can anyone out there help me with a simple list of say the RAF greys , greens , earth, sand PRU Blue, the Luftwaffe greys and greens and the US Navy blues, for me. Primarily listing the Humbrol and or Revell paint pot numbers. I have done some research on the internet but the various tables seem to have gaps especially when it comes to enamels and if you don't have a colour FS chart they leave you up in the air a bit. I do have a few very old (30years) Humbrol Authenticolours in my paints but am a bit loathe to try them in an airbrush.

So here's hoping some of the WW2 experts can assist on his one, I have enjoyed using acylics over the past couple of years but do miss a bit that fresh painted enamel aroma in the shed sometimes. The decals on these models is going to be another issue but I'll worry about them after I've done the painting!

Thanks in anticipation,

Ian

P.S what colour were the wheel wells on a Spit?

This might help, lots of information here on model paints and colours used by various countries.

I know how you feel about those kits, I used to stop at a shop every morning for a newspaper on my way home after night shifts and they had a Matchbox Spitfire 22 in the window that I lusted after but could not afford.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/colorcharts.asp

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

I'd have to say, those ancient Humbrol Authentics would probably spray better than the new ones!

In terms of normal Humbrols, I think the accepted norm for RAF camo is 29 for Dark Earth, 116 for Dark Green, 106 for Ocean Grey and 63 for Medium Sea Grey. As far as the standard RAF mid to late war scheme goes, you could do far worse than pick up the new Tamiya colours of XF-81, 82 and 83 for that. They are a good colour match IMO and spray very easily indeed.

I can't remember the Humbrol colours for the other stuff you mention off the top of my head as I haven't used them for ages. I know Tamiya do US Olive Drab and Neutral Grey though, and as for Luftwaffe, I think you would be hard pressed to beat Mr Hobby acrylics for that to be honest. The link Den has referred to above can be very helpful too.

HTH,

Jen.

Or if you do want to use enamels, then xtracolor do them all.

Keef

link to Hannants website: Hannants website for Xtracolor Enamels

....and so do White Ensign..White Ensign Enamels

Edited by timbo33

Another vote for White Ensign from me!

....but Jen's right; I still have some Humbrol Authentics that I inherited from a friend of my Dad's, and they are always my first choice. They spray brilliantly - I thin them with "Artist's Turpentine", but I expect white spirit would work just as well... If they are a bit thick and gloopy, put in a small amount of thinner, drop in a small lead fishing weight, ball bearing, Meccano nut or some such, and shake hard for three minutes or so.

bestest,

M.

Thank Guys,

Lots of good gen there, especially about the old Humbrols, and the Tamiya numbers, can't wait to get cracking on my days off after my night shift.

My Holy Grail was a massive (to me at the time) orange and silver B-58 Hustler, that Sharrocks had in the window. I think that might have been the Monogram one.

Cheers

Ian

Another vote for White Ensign from me!

....but Jen's right; I still have some Humbrol Authentics that I inherited from a friend of my Dad's, and they are always my first choice. They spray brilliantly - I thin them with "Artist's Turpentine", but I expect white spirit would work just as well... If they are a bit thick and gloopy, put in a small amount of thinner, drop in a small lead fishing weight, ball bearing, Meccano nut or some such, and shake hard for three minutes or so.

bestest,

M.

White Spirit, no, it's much cruder and oily. Not good for fine work. (or even outside large painting, ie windows and doors!)

Artist Turpentine is much better.

For very thin you can use lighter fuel, but as it basically light petrol (eg Hexane, a 6 carbon chain, petrol is about 8, butane is 4 if that makes sense) it is very volatile and inflammable! So be careful if you spray it, make sure VERY well ventilated, but will alllow paint to be very thin as the solvent will evaporate so fast. One to experiment with. Good for washes.

I read on Hyperscale that you can use laquer thinner with the tamiya acrylics, I'll post the link later when I find it.

as for paint colours...if your old enough to remember stuff in the 60's you remember Airfix paint. An interesting idea struck me on the old Airfix paint, as a kid I knew the Airfix to Humbrol matches were not very accurate, (I still have old kits in both) but the weird thing is that the Airfix paint, well the RAF stuff was a good SCALE match for the paint, the Humbrol better match the real thing, so was too dark.

cheers

T

I read on Hyperscale that you can use laquer thinner with the tamiya acrylics, I'll post the link later when I find it.

You can indeed! Cellulose thinners work really well to thin Tamiya acrylics for spraying - I use them with Tamiya whenever I airbrush them now!

Keef