Junkers 52 Lufthansa

Erwin

Sadly, it rather depends upon which Ju 52 you choose to do, and perhaps when. For most of them there is a specific Lufthansa grey, which is not a military (RLM) colour, and you will find that specified in Michael Ullman's book Luftwaffe Colour. Your best bet, from available colours, is White Ensign's L40/51, as described above. However, Xtracolour do an RLM 63 which is a prewar light grey, as opposed to WEM's RLM 63 which is a more correct grey green - although a little dark for my taste. Precision Paints - now Phoenix - also do a light grey RLM 63.

I think you will find however that Lufthansa later adopted a Silver finish - it may be that some of their Ju 52 were in this scheme.

OK, I've dug out Ullmann. Pages 22 to 25 is a listing of Lufthansa (DLH) paints in use October 1936 and their predecessors (but only quoting the Lufthansa store code for the latter!).

DKH nitro-enamel Grau, L40/51, He 70 external finish

DKH oil top coat DLH Grau, W30/23, Ju 52 external finish. (also Ju 52 RB external finish, this applies to the Reichbahn or railway sub-airline, which previously used a different colour)

Ikarol instant Aluminium lacquer, 142, Ju 52 external finish

There were also Ju 52s with civilian codes, but in RLM 02. The example shown does not carry Lufthansa markings. One that does is in a very light colour, which Ullmann describes as probably L40/52. This is a paint reference, not a colour, and in a light grey (Duralgrau) is only listed for He 111 metal parts.

So take your pick.

Edited by Graham Boak