us navy sea blue

ROGERD

can anybody confirm what this colour should be? I have seen( and used) so many different shades from blue through to almost black.

currently building a 1/32 bearcat - using tamiya X17- would this be correct?

thanks in advance

Rogerd

Hi Rogerd

If you are building a US Navy F8F Bearcat it should be overall Glossy Sea Blue (FS 15042)

which really is a glossy version of Non specular Sea Blue (FS 35042) when new (ish) it appears

quite dark in colour

The Tamiya colour which is called Sea Blue as John said, is XF 17

If you click on the link and scroll to XF 17 it says Sea Blue but FS number is FS 34058

Tamiya paint chart

If you click on the link to the FS Numbers and scroll to FS 34058 (under Greens) it reads Bottle Green

FS Numbers

It is my personal opinion the Tamiya colour is too green for US Navy Sea Blue (Non specular or Glossy)

I have a bottle of Tamiya paint in my possesion, which I admit is a few years old, unless Tamiya have

changed their formula your aircraft will not appear the right hue

Do you have acess to other paints??

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

can anybody confirm what this colour should be? I have seen( and used) so many different shades from blue through to almost black.

thanks in advance

Rogerd

Did a Hellcat once using Tamiya Rattle can then used Tamiya Gloss and then Flat.

Looked OK to my eyes.

Cheers

Terry McGrady

• 2 weeks later...

thanks in advance

Rogerd

The best Glossy Sea Blue is the Xtracrylix Glossy Sea Blue.

HTH

Hi Roger,

I keep trying and trying and i STILL haven't found a Gloss Sea Blue that i'm happy with.

FWIW, The Model Master Gloss Sea Blue is probably OK straight from the bottle for a 32nd scale model. i have never seen the Xtracrylics but if its the same as Xtracolour its probably VERY reliable.

I came very close to using Humbrol Midnight Blue. So far, i have experimented by adding 3 parts MM insignia blue to 7 parts MM gloss sea blue. I got a slight lightening up of the colour, but not enough. For my next trick i'm gonna try mixing MM Gloss Sea Blue 50-50 with MM Blue Angel Blue. i might also try adding 7 parts MM Insignia blue to 3 parts MM Gloss Sea Blue.

Keep in mind though i mainly do 72nd and some 48th scale, so altering the colours for scale effect is more of an issue for me than it will be for you.

The introduction of FS colours occurred after the war, so WWII vintage aircraft were still painted in accordance to the ANA standards. As has been pointed out many times, Gloss Sea Blue, FS 15042 , is close to, but not the same as ANA Gloss Sea Blue.

Keep in mind, you are also going to get a colour shift when you overcoat the model with clear gloss, apply washes, etc. So, factor that into account as well.

Sorry to complicate the subject, but forewarned is forearmed. Its really an issue of coming up with a shade of gloss sea blue that looks good to your eye. Compare it to colour photographs, and make sure to check it in sunlight.

HTH,

david

Edited by David H

Hi Roger,

I keep trying and trying and i STILL haven't found a Gloss Sea Blue that i'm happy with.

FWIW, The Model Master Gloss Sea Blue is probably OK straight from the bottle for a 32nd scale model. i have never seen the Xtracrylics but if its the same as Xtracolour its probably VERY reliable.

I came very close to using Humbrol Midnight Blue. So far, i have experimented by adding 3 parts MM insignia blue to 7 parts MM gloss sea blue. I got a slight lightening up of the colour, but not enough. For my next trick i'm gonna try mixing MM Gloss Sea Blue 50-50 with MM Blue Angel Blue. i might also try adding 7 parts MM Insignia blue to 3 parts MM Gloss Sea Blue.

Keep in mind though i mainly do 72nd and some 48th scale, so altering the colours for scale effect is more of an issue for me than it will be for you.

The introduction of FS colours occurred after the war, so WWII vintage aircraft were still painted in accordance to the ANA standards. As has been pointed out many times, Gloss Sea Blue, FS 15042 , is close to, but not the same as ANA Gloss Sea Blue.

Keep in mind, you are also going to get a colour shift when you overcoat the model with clear gloss, apply washes, etc. So, factor that into account as well.

Sorry to complicate the subject, but forewarned is forearmed. Its really an issue of coming up with a shade of gloss sea blue that looks good to your eye. Compare it to colour photographs, and make sure to check it in sunlight.

HTH,

david

Actually, Xtracrylix and Xtracolour are the same colors, just different kinds of paint. The entire range is the most accurate representation of colors available and to my mind should be considered the gold standard of model paints.

thanks in advance

Rogerd

Hello Rogerd,

I have built many Gloss Sea Blue Navy and Marine aircraft and the best mix for GSB using Tamiya paints is XF17:5 + XF8:3 + XF2:2. This is what Tamiya calls out for their 1/48 Corsair. In my opinion the best GSB was made by aeromaster. It was an enamel. I have some color chips that I used to compare the Tamiya mix and it was very very close. I like spraying flat and then spraying FUTURE prior to the decals. Here's a picture of the Trumpeter F6F-5:

DSCF0446.jpg

• Like 2

Hello Rogerd,

I have built many Gloss Sea Blue Navy and Marine aircraft and the best mix for GSB using Tamiya paints is XF17:5 + XF8:3 + XF2:2. This is what Tamiya calls out for their 1/48 Corsair. In my opinion the best GSB was made by aeromaster. It was an enamel. I have some color chips that I used to compare the Tamiya mix and it was very very close. I like spraying flat and then spraying FUTURE prior to the decals. Here's a picture of the Trumpeter F6F-5:

DSCF0446.jpg

thanks for all the advice and infornation, in the end I used Tamiya XF17, looks close enough for me

nice build of the hellcat by the way, I yet to start mine -will be a FAA photo reece job, just reserching this at the moment

Thanks

Rogerd