`What if` B-52

tc2324

Well, I got as far as I can go with my 1/72 `What if` Lanc today as I need to get to the office tomorrow and await the supplies I ordered to continue with it.:(

So, trying something that my missus thinks is a no go area for men in general, I thought I`d `multi task` and make a start on the 1/72 B-52H I got the other day.

It`s big....:eek: :D Lancaster kit for comparrison...:wacko:

001-16.jpg

002-17.jpg

Now, to make this post a bit interactive, I have three back stories for my B-52 build and the scheme it will eventually end up in....,

1. Captured Russian

2. RAF, mid 60`s

3. RAF, mid 90`s

Any thoughts welcome....:D

Jeebus cripes! It never ceases to amaze me...the size difference between a WWII 'heavy bomber' and modern heavy bombers. It's kinda crazy when you look at the relative sizes of planes from then and now. Some modern fighters are almost the size of bombers of late...woof.

Jeebus cripes! It never ceases to amaze me...the size difference between a WWII 'heavy bomber' and modern heavy bombers. It's kinda crazy when you look at the relative sizes of planes from then and now. Some modern fighters are almost the size of bombers of late...woof.

To say it`s huge is an understatement. I`m going to have a serious problem of where to put it after it`s complete.. :-)

You can always hang 'em. I used to do that at a couple of other places I lived. Wish I could do that where I live but my ceiling is concrete... :fraidnot: Kinda sucky cuz I'd like to get the 1/72 IL-76 I saw at Squadron. Oh well.

Captured Russian - at least one RAF one has been done and has been on the show circuit.

Thanks for the heads up Wooksta. A captured `Ivan` version seems to be a favourite choice from a few members of various forums I`ve asked on.

You can always hang 'em. I used to do that at a couple of other places I lived. Wish I could do that where I live but my ceiling is concrete... :fraidnot: Kinda sucky cuz I'd like to get the 1/72 IL-76 I saw at Squadron. Oh well.

Cipher, not so worried about how to hang it up, more bothered about what the missus would do if she found it hanging from her newly plastered ceilings.... lol

the thing to bare in mind is they were actually built only about a decade apart, Lancaster first flight was 1941, and B52's was in 1952

Id like to see 60's RAF, but captured Ivan would be sweet too, or maybe something like a TU-4? been copied down to the rivets and re-produced by Tupalov heh

After a quick count of `votes` from this and other forums, and the fact that an RAF B-52 has already done the rounds, it looks like I`m going for the captured Ivan look. Thanks to all for their input.

Just a few progress shots of the 52. I have a enjoyed this kit so far and apart from a bit of filler needed for a gap topside it hasn`t been as much of a pain as I had expected. Also completed the engines and mounts and now need to sand and buff everything, no pun intended, ready for the primer.

004-15.jpg

Mind the gap...:lol:

006-19.jpg

007-9.jpg

Another update on my `52` captured Ivan. The wings, engines and tail planes are not glued, still got a lot of work to go on them yet, but placed it all together to give you an idea of what it will look like. Note the Lanc in the background to give you an idea of the size.

006-20.jpg

008-10.jpg

RAF has been done - Martin H of the UK What If SIG has one in antiflash white toting several Blue Steels. It's been around the UK show circuit a few times.

I belive you mean this one Lee :whistle: As seen at the 2005 Avon show.

Avon011.jpg

Finished my build, so on with the show and the `What if` backstory goes like this....,

`In mid November 1986 a US spy satellite passed over a remote airfield in Russia and captured the following image....

b-52.jpg

CIA intelligance were shocked by the image and the next day ordered that another satellite be diverted to cover the same area. However, after an intensive search for the next 6 months no sign of the aircraft was found and the search was caled off, but not forgotten.

In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, the US goverment approached Russia`s secret service and asked about the image. As no B-52 had ever defected to Russia, it was a mystry the US wanted to solve. To their amazement a delegation was invited to a remote airfield in Siberia to view the photo subject. They found this and the following pictures have now been declassified and the story of the Soviets B-52 can now be revealed.

In 1968 the Soviet Union had approached North Vietnam with a view to obtaining wreckage from B-52`s that had been shot down during that conflict so that they could gather any new intelligance regarding the West`s main heavy bomber. In return the Soviets granted civilian and military aid to the North Vietnamese once the conflict had ended. For the next 6 years or so any piece of B-52 found in Vietnam, big or small, was secretly sent to the Soviet union. By 1980 the soviets had enough parts to complete or reverse engineer 6 aircraft over, however due to cost and time restraints only one aircraft was ordered to be `reassembled` to flying condition, If any parts were missing, they were simply replicated based on pictures and scematics the Soviets had `obtained`.

On August 26th 1986, Soviet built B-52 `White 86`, (given the number 86 due to the year), took to the air for it`s first succesful test flight. For the next year this aircraft was used for disimilar air combat manuvores against the fighter regiments in the Soviet Union. This gave a chance for the Soviet fighter pilots to practice interception tactics both in the high level and low level spectrum which would have been used by the USAF in war time.

However, on the 8th May 1987 a major crack had appeared in the main wing spar and all flying was suspended. It seems that putting so many B-52 parts back together again had taken it`s toll. Considered too costly to repair `White 86` was taken apart, removed by road to Siberia, but back together again and left in open storage under camoflage netting.

At the time of the US delegations visit, `White 86` was found out in the open and obviously rusting away.

This picture shows the front aircraft section with `86` marked on the fusalage. The cockpit was found to be very basic with no ejection seats and basic flight controls. The `pods` under the front section were empty and looked like thay had simply been added on to make it look like a `H` model.

045-3-1.jpg

The engines were of Soviet type and looked under powered for this size of aircraft.

047-3-1.jpg

The rest of the airframe, other than suffering from the effects of being stored outside and devoid of any other markings other than a white `86` and red stars, was a perfect copy to the US versions including a Soviet gattling gun for rear defense.

035-3-1.jpg

030-5-1.jpg

With the US delegation impressed by this copy of one of it`s most iconic aircraft, the US has now given it`s support for the aircraft to be moved to the Soviet Flight Museum near Moscow.`

Now of course, for those of you who just like pictures and none of the fancy stuff above, heres some more pics in colour.......

021-6.jpg

024-3.jpg

023-1.jpg