MD-3 Carrier Deck Tractor

Mike

I'm building this one for a review for the site, but thought I'd share some pics of the build as I go.

I didn't bother taking pics of the build, as it's so straight forward that you'll have one done in no time... The only issue worthy of note would be the seam between the front grille and the body, which will need careful filling, as it shouldn't be there. I also added lead wire handles to the front & rear, which although they have pits for their placement, there don't seem to be any in the box. No matter! :)

I added a layer of cast-a-coat to the top surface, as they are painted with a black anti-slip paint, to facilitate using them as temporary standing platforms without risk of deck crew falling off. I then sprayed a coat of primer, followed by a liberal dose of Xtracrylix white, then masking, and Panzer Grey for the black. I used Vallejo Dark Rubber and Light Rubber for the tyres, then a Mig dark wash into the grilles and some of the more prominent places. I also added a small square of styrene sheet to the cab to represent the prominent brake pedal.

body1.jpg

body2.jpg

body3.jpg

I left things to dry overnight last night, and added the decals this afternoon:

body4.jpg

body5.jpg

Be cautious with the decals, as they are VERY thin, and will curl up on you if you give them the option, so place them directly from the backing paper. You'll also need to cut parts of thechevron bumper decals to accomodate the towing hitches.

Next step is a coat of matt varnish, and then the weathering & chipping begins :)

I did a little chipping with dark grey paint, some muted rust streaks with oil paint, and gave the top area a wash with some dark earth pastels to respresent some ingrained rust from the chains that get left on the deck. All muck taken from pics ;)

body6.jpg

body7.jpg

Not quite sure where to go next with it, but I'm painting up the figure and chocks while I ponder.

A question as much as a suggestion. The 35 marking is painted on a rough surface, and if walked on the paint would wear away on the peaks giving a speckled finish. UNLESS of course it's painted very thickly, hence the question part. I guess some of the ex USN guys on here would know.

rich

Cos the decals are so thin, it almost looks like that's happened anyway... I guess it'd also depend on just how much standing on the hood would take place too.

Funnily enough, not many of the tractors have numbers applied, and those that I've seen refs for only have one digit :hmmm:

17b.jpg

Hmmm, after posting I dug out some refs and you are right. The one I did find looked as if the anti slip was two inches thick and the numbers hadn't worn through, but that was double digit. However a very old pic, mid eighties or so and the tractor was yellow.

rich

I told him yellow looked better!! Did he listen? Does he EVER?? :)

That looks smashing chap, can't fault that at all :) (i'd like to :evil_laugh: )

Cheers John... it would only be fair though ;)

I did a little more weathering after tea... adding some scratches under the tie-down points, where the chains meet the shackles & rub against the bodywork, plus a lot of small white chips on the chevroned bumpers. I also finished off the headlights, which are a very dark blue, getting lighter in the middle - presumably where the bulbs are. I coated the whole lens with GW chainmail, mixed a blob of Mithril Silver and faded it into the Chainmail, then added a final blob of silver when it was dry.Once that combo was dry, I overcoated the lens with two coats of Tamiya Clear Blue. Looks alright to me :)

body8.jpg

body9.jpg

body10.jpg

body11.jpg

That looks very nice with the weathering man. Can you do me (and the rest of us) a favor and strip it off and paint it yellow and see who likes that better?? :evil_laugh:

I'll strip you off & paint you yellow, you muppet! :fight:

Michael, is that some sort of mating ritual the rest of us are not familiar with? :blink:

rich

Even if I was that way inclined, I'd have WAY better taste! :tease:

I started work painting the little driver figure this evening, and have managed to paint his upper body so far, with a bit more to do on his helmet and ear defenders. For his trousers, I'm going to attempt some US Woodland camo, using the decals that came with my Modern US Army Crew Figs as a base from which to crib the patterns. Wish me luck! :unsure:

Please go easy on me, as it's gotta be 20+ years since I attempted to paint a figure :frantic:

figure1.jpg

Well, I managed to finish the camo on Sir's troos, and a few other details too, so decided to have a go at a couple of in situ pics. See what you think :)

body12.jpg

body13.jpg

I'll give him a coat of matt varnish tomorrow. Notice the chocks have been painted now too - I also chopped out one of the end pieces to show a lost cover, and added a little loop that I saw on one of the reference pics. ;)

• Like 1

I like these little bobs 'n bobs- but I would have to say, the 1/72 Verlinden tractor is probly better that that in terms of crispness etc. Coupled with the PP Aeroparts deck tow bars- it looks awesome.

Nice figure painting- do you start from the inside out? I'm just about to start on some Luftwaffe ground crew figures and need a bit of help tbh.

Edited by Mentalguru