HMS Vanguard S-28 SSBN WIP

Geoffrey Abreu

HI guys,

My first ship of any kind the Bronco Vanguard! A very nice kit and I will definately do more ships/subs as a result, here it is after painting ready for gloss coat and some decals and washes. Supposed to rain here all next week (it never rains in California) so it will slow up a bit before the finish.

DSC03094-1.jpg

DSC03095-1.jpg

DSC03096-1.jpg

DSC03097-1.jpg

DSC03099-1.jpg

DSC03100-1.jpg

Wow you posted yours just before me, Hopefully get mine finished tomorrow

Great Pete, I look forward to seeing yours!! It was a nice kit to build and as you probably know the hard part is getting the seam good on upper and lower hull join! I will definately do more subs/ships because I have enjoyed this kit very much. I just came home with a U-214 class by Revell yesterday so I am thinking of that next!

Geoff

Great Pete, I look forward to seeing yours!! It was a nice kit to build and as you probably know the hard part is getting the seam good on upper and lower hull join! I will definately do more subs/ships because I have enjoyed this kit very much. I just came home with a U-214 class by Revell yesterday so I am thinking of that next!

Geoff

I look forward to seeing yours finished Geof

• 4 weeks later...
Looks jolly nice... aren't all subs black though? ;)

You are probably right Mike. I painted it according to the painting directions in the kit. I did manage to find some pictures of HMS Vanguard that do show some color variations similar to the ones I have as well:

vanguard1.jpg

vanguard2.jpg

vanguard3.jpg

vanguard4.jpg

• 1 month later...
You are probably right Mike. I painted it according to the painting directions in the kit. I did manage to find some pictures of HMS Vanguard that do show some color variations similar to the ones I have as well:

vanguard1.jpg

vanguard2.jpg

vanguard3.jpg

vanguard4.jpg

Hi Geoffrey ,

Great looking build you have there . I have the Bronco HMS Victorious myself and was wondering about what colors you used for the mail hull painting . I know that Flat black was used for the walkway on the top deck of the sub & semi-gloss black for the nose , but what was used for the rest of the sub ? Looks like you have two different grays for the upper & lower halves of the hull .Thanks for any help and congrats on a great build !!!

best regards

JOEY

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Geoffrey ,

Great looking build you have there . I have the Bronco HMS Victorious myself and was wondering about what colors you used for the mail hull painting . I know that Flat black was used for the walkway on the top deck of the sub & semi-gloss black for the nose , but what was used for the rest of the sub ? Looks like you have two different grays for the upper & lower halves of the hull .Thanks for any help and congrats on a great build !!!

best regards

JOEY

Joey,

I used Tamiya German Grey for the lower hull and Nato Black for the upper hull not including the walkway which was flat black as you have said.

hope that this helps

Geoff

• 2 months later...

Hi

Nice builds , I got one for last christmas, a sort of reminder for my days a dockie in the devonport submarine refit complex.

I hope to get around to building it this winter, along with a few other projects,one long term one is to do a 1:350 V&C , S or T class hunter killer, or possibly scratch build if I really have no choice.

Out of curiosity does anyone do a 1:700 Vanguard, as most of my sub stash is 1:700.

Cheers

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Nice builds , I got one for last christmas, a sort of reminder for my days a dockie in the devonport submarine refit complex.

I hope to get around to building it this winter, along with a few other projects,one long term one is to do a 1:350 V&C , S or T class hunter killer, or possibly scratch build if I really have no choice.

Out of curiosity does anyone do a 1:700 Vanguard, as most of my sub stash is 1:700.

Cheers

Jerry

Just got this kit from hannants yesterday. Found this picture, it may help with colours. I think the dark black panel on the nose, may have been just a blanket to hide the sensors.

• 4 weeks later...
Just got this kit from hannants yesterday. Found this picture, it may help with colours. I think the dark black panel on the nose, may have been just a blanket to hide the sensors.

The black pannel on the bow is composite for the sonar to go through. Generally active sonar is hosed in the bow of subs, but other passive systems can be there and in other places.

Like aircraft noses being invisible to radar the compsite works in the same way for subs.

Julien

Edited by Julien

• 1 month later...

Hi all, can someone pm me as to how to upload images from my computer to the site as I have some interesting images of HMS Vangaurd taken last week showing the mod to the casing if an up to date model is to be constructed. Many thanks, Craig.

Hi all, can someone pm me as to how to upload images from my computer to the site as I have some interesting images of HMS Vangaurd taken last week showing the mod to the casing if an up to date model is to be constructed. Many thanks, Craig.

Howdo Craig.

Have a read through this mate:Piccie info

Looking forward to your pics having just picked up Bronco's Victorious and the Airfix Trafalgar this last week.

Cheers , it is all becoming clear now! Will sort out an account and get posting asap. Hold on for the photos as the mod is very obvious. :)

Hello again, Hi Ian / Dave. Regarding the mod, if you look at the casing along the length of the Missile compartment you will see the addition of some heavy duty plating covering the area from the waterline to the edge of the hatch covers. When you compare the older images earlier in the thread ( the ones with the tugs are best ) you will see the difference with the ones taken last week ( especialy the rear 3/4 view ). The vast majority of photos on the web are older pictures and dont show this fit. All V boats have had this extra plating added, its purpose is to strengthen the area around the missile tubes ( remember the USS Cole ) With ref to the colour of the hull take your pick they vary in just about every shade of grey from anthracite to med grey, the tiles age at diff rates and are replaced as they are damaged or fall off. I was lucky enough to get a tour of HMS Vengeance whilst she was out of the water in the ship lift at Faslane and would say that she was the same colour all over and not two tone as the painting guide in the kit shows. Sorry no photos as a strict no camera rule was in place. When I have finished my build I will post some photos that will show some of the detail that I obseved and am including in my model. Hope this helps, if anyone would like further images just drop me a note, great site by the way , looking forward to resuming my modeling. :)

Cheers Craig.

So the plating covers the length of the silos, extends from the waterline up to the edge of the hatches and presumably is on the the opposite side of the hull too?

Out with the sheet styrene methinks.