`What if` Lancaster

tc2324

Started my next `What if` `Lufty` build today and it involves these three kits.......

001-15.jpg

And here are the bits I needed from both the german aircraft.....

004-14.jpg

A bit of a waste I know, but I`m sure I can dream up something for the Stuka and Me 262 in the future.

Started on the cockpit which is quite complex IMPO considering you won`t see 85% of it when it`s complete....

005-13.jpg

And the wings are now joined but had a mishap with one of the wing tips which needed a bit of TLC but no major damage done....

006-18.jpg

Still need to do some work on them anyway.

....So, in my best Rolf Harris impression, `can you guess what it is yet?`

Well, I always wondered what the Luftwaffe would do if they got their hands on a Lancaster? I came to the conclusion that one posability could be similar to what KG200 did with their captured B-17`s, ie, fly them close to American bomber formations and relay tactical information to the Luftwaffe fighter command.

Anyway, going a step further, if you gave a captured Lanc a weapons application like fitting it out with radar, give it a bit of `upward firing` firepower and fly it amoungst the RAF bomber streams at night and in the dark no-one would notice and a lot of damage could be done. And to deter any Luftwaffe night fighters from shooting the Lanc down by mistake, it would of course be fitted with the basic IFF of the day.

Just a pic or two as the Lanc progresses...

008-9.jpg

010-8.jpg

Started painting various thing black and as for the cockpit, well I`m not really a cockpit person so just `dabbed` some green and black in there. lets face it, once the `roof` goes on, you won`t see much anyway.;)

And now for the stand comparison shot of the Lanc and 52...... :mental:

011-8.jpg

Just a quick update for my Lufty Lanc. Here`s an overall pic of the main build and note that I`ve left a bit of glass missing just aft of the astro dome.......

029.jpg

.....what`s because I`m going to fit these upward/forward firing canons.....

032-3.jpg

These seem to be the biggest hurdle at the mo? Cut out a bit of trusty old cardboard to act as a base but I`m open to other suggestions. After the `big` B-52 build this Lanc is proving a bit dicey and the U/C is the most complex I`ve had to deal with and I can only thank god that tweezers were invented...!

027-5.jpg

Watch this space.......

Lufty Lanc is now primed and ready for her battle colours. Fitted the upward firing weapons so you have an idea of how it will look. Still got a lot of work to do and tidy some areas up and also a high amount of hand painting to be done after the sprays have gone on.:rolleyes: Going to start my research now for a suitable back story....;)

025-2.jpg

026-3.jpg

Lufty Lanc finished.......

What if story as follows.......,

On the night of September 19 1942 RAF Bomber Command launched a mission to Munich. Lancaster R5742 of 61 Sqn was reported missing the next day, although 5 of her crew were later confirmed as POW`s.

On May 4th 1945 US troops from the 82nd Airbourne entered a camoflaged hangar at a now vacant ex Luftwaffe airfield they had discovered but did not show on any maps. Indeed the `runway` was a straight piece of road with a lengh of around 3000ft. They contacted RAF High Command within the hour regarding their `find`.

By the time an RAF Regiment unit had arrived to section off the area the Americans had already pulled the aircraft out of the hangar and were taking photo`s of it.

After further investigation, by September 1945, it was found that the airframe was R5742. It was discovered that after the crew had been ordered to bail out from the stricken aircraft all those years ago the Australian pilot, P/O George Clayton, had attempted a belly landing in a field. The Lancaster had been expertly put down and was in good condition when the Germans had found it, however P/O Clayton was found dead in his seat. The reason unknown.

The Lancaster was the first reasonably intact example the Germans had obtained and it quickly found itself in the hands of IV/KG 200, the famous aircraft testing unit of the Luftwaffe that dealt with experimental aircraft, weapons and also operated a number of captured Allied aircraft. After it`s first post restoration flight by the germans in January 1943 the Lancaster, now given the prefix `Red 12` spent the next few months carrying out long distance transport flights to the eastern front at night. However with the RAF becoming a major concern due to their effective night bombing campaign, `Red 12` was given a `new assignment`.

Back in the hanger a few modifacations were made, the first being to strip down the airframe, replace the bomb bay with a bigger fuel tank, fit two 37mm reloading cannons just aft of the main wing spar which fired upwards and forwards, (roughly 45 degrees), and also to fit the front crew compartment with the latest air interception radar.

037-1-1.jpg

039-3-1.jpg

040-5-1.jpg

`Red 12`s new mission was to locate the bomber stream, join it, and over the next 6 hours engage the enemy. The main method of attack would be from below, the pilot having a fixed sight fitted in front of him in the cockpit to aim the main 37mm weapons, however all the Lancasters turrets were fully functional and also able to engage the enemy if needed. The crew consisted of eight, Pilot, Navigator, A.I.R. Operator, 3 turret gunners and two reloaders for the 37mm weapons.

041-3-1.jpg

Logs were found that confirmed that in this configuration `Red 12` carried out 28 sorties in this role before being damaged during it`s last mission and made `unflyable` and is reported to have engaged around 34 aircraft of Bomber Command. Although RAF aircraft were reported missing in action on the same dates as the sorties there has never been any evidence that these engagements took place and it is believed that these numbers have been exagerated in the `fog of war`. This type of mission was also very dangerous for the German crew as being a Lancaster, despite using IFF codes, it was open to attack itself from other Luftwaffe nightfighters.

The Lancaster was repaired on site and flown under the cover of darkness to RAF Boscombe Down, where after it was taken apart and all german radar equipment removed, it was broken up for scrap by April 1946.

Of course, here are a few of non B&W pics for those who prefer them.....,

045-4.jpg

037-1.jpg

041-3.jpg

Hope you liked........??

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the comments guys. Glad you all liked.

Deon, would love to see a pic of your `88` Lanc with dwarfs.... :D

:), That was a long time ago! Went to someone else when I stopped playing Scifi / Fantasy games. . The first twenty foot was cut from the bomb bay doors this housed the breech etc and the 88 fired down at various angles for ground attack. Cant imagine it would have been much use!

• 1 month later...

Its a great what if model and rather chillingly plausible. It would also make a smashing story for a graphic novel in the Comando series of books.

There was a commando style comic with a very similar idea. German spy posing as dutch lancaster pilot, orders crew to bale out over germany on raid, everyone does apart from stroppy rear gunner who had rescued crew on previous crash landing. Spy Pilot shoots rear gunner, leaves him for dead, flies to secret lutwaffe base. Meanwhile rear gunner regains consciousness and bales out.

Lanc modified with 20mm guns in turrets, "sparkle" paintjob, and spy pilot "volunteered" to fly with luftwaffe crew. Proceed through bomber stream, shooting down stray lancs by formating to port or starboard and letting loose with hefty dose of cannon fire. Sparkly paint supposed to represent plane as a "ghost"

Ghost lanc (that could have even been title i think) gets shot up by ME110 G halfway through story, but lanc and pilot survive. Meanwhile rear gunner gets back to blighty, and makes a report.

Cue showdown, where rear gunners plane gets attacked and evades, leads ghost plane into middle of bomber stream and rest of formation riddles german lanc. Good riddance to the dirty spy.

Actually it was not too bad and the art work was pretty good if i remember correctly. Must have been a commando comic, their art was always better than battle comics in my opinion.

Anyway, apologies for being a bit of an anorak.

Scotty

• 5 months later...