* 1/72 Airfix Westland Scout AH1: FINISHED

masterqq

Greeting from Malaysia, I have a few British helicopters to build this year, namely Wessex, Whirwind and Scout, I hope to build a collection of Helicopters used in Malaya/Borneo during Confrontation. I am going to kick start with Airfix Scout..

DSC08592.jpg

P.S If anyone have the knowledge on the Scout serial # or photos from Far East during these period, please let me know, I gonna start my build soon, and I know this is not an easy kit..

Edited by Erwin

I've yet to find a good way to deal with poor fitting canopies so I wish you luck with it.

Maybe thick superglue? Filler can be a pain as you often see it through a large or clear canopy. Maybe a slow setting filler will allow the canopy to be removed for painting inside before glueing back down...

The canopy fit on this kit is horrible!

I used 'Tacky Glue' from Hobby Craft. It's basically normal PVA glue but a bit thicker and a bit more sticky. It doesn't run as much so holds it's shape as it dries.

1960s_144004406.jpg

Chaps,

Thank for the tips, All tips will be taken into consideration when I reach the Canopy stage later..

and I added some wires to the seats.. next to add pedals , more later..

DSC08598.jpg

BAC,

You have a very nice build there, more photos please...

Hi Masterqq,

The airwaves canopy doesn't include the lower door and nose windows. I have detachedv these from the top bits and also slit the nose window from the lower door. It is still not a perfect fit and as they are both compound curves, creating windows from PVA doesn't look right. When I get round to putting some wip pics on I'll do some of this area.

Regard

Faceman

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers,

Thanks for the comments, these are that Malaysian's Wasp photos that I took and based my build on, it's not even come close to the real thing.

WASP08s10.jpg

WASP08s13.jpg

BTW, all the seams on my build are filled and sand smooth, now working on the most problematic parts, the top canopy..