Russian Knight

Skii

Afternoon all :)

I've been tinkering with a few minor projects with varying degrees of success (i.e. not much) and I've decided my next project to throw every available bit

of aftermarket at will be Academy's 2 seater Flanker in 1/48. Colourscheme-wise I'm opting for the Russian Knights markings, the great thing about painting a Russian display

aircraft is the scope for flashy markings as well as weathering - so I'm very much looking forward to the painting and decalling stage of this baby.

So, here is the box shot - very pretty, although to my eye the artwork looks to be a little sort on the nose length, and apparently in reality the kit comes up shortin this respect too, although only by a few millimetres compared to the aftermarket resin nosecone generously donated to this project by David W - (take a good look at his amazing Flanker C in RFI if you haven't already) Still - I guess scaled up this minor difference becomes a lot more evident.

boxshot.jpg

noseconecomparison.jpg

And here is the fuselage taped together with the nose cone installed - big innit ?

size1.jpg

size2.jpg

Here are the compressor fan faces with a layer of Alclad gloss black base - they will be treated with Alclad polished aluminium and a dark wash - not entirely sure how much of these will be visible on the finished model though..

fansblack.jpg

Nah, it'll be rubbish like the rest of 'em :wicked:

:whistle:

I've got the Begemot Russian Knights decals on order from a certain online supplier, so with a bit of luck they'll turn up this season - plenty of time before I need them anyway. All that remains to grab is the Aries exhausts and the eduard photo-etch, the Neomega pit is on order, so very soon I can really get crackin'. Daz - I guess this is roughly the size of an F-14, probably larger - according to Wiki a full 3 metres longer, it really is a mahoosive fighter jet, and rather pretty too :)

Here are the compressor fans after shooting some Alclad polished aluminium and a Promodeller wash n'wipe , the quality of the finish when using the Alclad gloss black base is evident here.

fansmetal.jpg

Here are the compressor fans after shooting some Alclad polished aluminium and a Promodeller wash n'wipe , the quality of the finish when using the Alclad gloss black base is evident here.

I take it the never drying issue has been ironed out with the gloss black base then?

I take it the never drying issue has been ironed out with the gloss black base then?

Not really, in fact this is the issue that is plaguing my 1/72 Lightning build, any handling of the Alclad for longer than a few seconds leaving a slightly tacky feel and a finger mark, I don't see this being any different to be honest !

Not really, in fact this is the issue that is plaguing my 1/72 Lightning build, any handling of the Alclad for longer than a few seconds leaving a slightly tacky feel and a finger mark, I don't see this being any different to be honest !

Try Tamiya or Gunze Gloss Black then, they work a treat.

Nice choice, John! I'm going to be following this build.

although only by a few millimetres compared to the aftermarket resin nosecone generously donated to this project by David W

noseconecomparison.jpg

Say, John; do the Flanker B and C share the same nosecone dimensions or are they different in size or shape? Whut manufacturer is the nosecone which David provided ya with?

Aw, those compressor fans look as though they were made of steel! Very nice.

Keep it up, mate!

Nice choice, John! I'm going to be following this build.

Say, John; do the Flanker B and C share the same nosecone dimensions or are they different in size or shape? Whut manufacturer is the nosecone which David provided ya with?

Aw, those compressor fans look as though they were made of steel! Very nice.

Keep it up, mate!

Hi matey, to be honest I'm unsure which manufacturer it is, possibly Quickboost, however I believe the B and C models do indeed both share the same nosecone

cheers :)

John

Soooo.... here is the beautifully casted Neomega cockpit with a preliminary splash of paint, The set us quite substantial and leaves nothing missed, every bit of detail is there and requires a lot of fine detail painting to pick out the buttons and individual consoles, a really nice set which is a model in itself - so I've completed most of the cockpit floor and side and front consoles, a few more details to do, mostly the rear walls and piping to enhance, enough to start thinking about dropping it into the fuselage upper half.

The instrument faces are the fantastic Mike Grant Jet cockpit details which model all types of individual jet cockpit dials - they require some careful cutting out of the one piece decal film, but once in place with a dab of Microsol I'm very pleased with how they have turned out, and there's many more left over ;)

cockpit1.jpg

cockpit2.jpg

cockpit3.jpg

:)

Not half bad Johnny... and don't forget folks, all this was done on his knees whilst watching EastEnders :owww:

Actually the arm of a suede sofa...onto which I spilt half a bottle of Lifecolour acrylic black.....that was an interesting evening :o

Actually the arm of a suede sofa...onto which I spilt half a bottle of Lifecolour acrylic black.....that was an interesting evening :o

I didn't want to mention that part in case you got embarrassed... :rolleyes:

Looking good mate :) not as bad as the time i spilt an entire 100ml bottle of thin superglue onto the dining table, tried to rub it of with kitchen roll, got my hand stuck to the kitchen roll and the table, and then when i tried to get it off i took the top layer of varnish or whatever it is off the table! my dad was not happy :(

Looking good mate :) not as bad as the time i spilt an entire 100ml bottle of thin superglue onto the dining table, tried to rub it of with kitchen roll, got my hand stuck to the kitchen roll and the table, and then when i tried to get it off i took the top layer of varnish or whatever it is off the table! my dad was not happy :(

Oops-you dropped a clanger there, didn't you?

Fantastic paint work on the pit there. :thumbsup2:

Out of interest, what paint did you use for the interior blue?.

Got a couple of single seaters in the pending pile.

Hi Smiffy

actually it was a mix of Lifecolour dark blue and white..until it looked right ;)

Well this one is going to be special isn't it?? Looks awesome John. I have the same set up here and have been looking for some inspiration to kick me in the bottom!! :)

Smiffy, a good Russian buddy of mine recommends RLM 65 for the cockpit on Flankers. He sent me a pic once of him sitting in the pit with a color chip It was spot on.

Cheers!!

Mike