'Macky' Steinhoff Bf109E-3

Hi folks:

Here's 'Macky' Steinhoff's E-3 ride during the Battle of Britain. Markings are courtesy of the Possum Werks sheet, created by Tom Meyers, former art director at Accurate Miniatures.

This build is part of a tribute to Tom that I took part in last year. Tom Meyers 1959-2008

Jpg31.jpg

Jpg39.jpg

Jpg32.jpg

Jpg38.jpg

Jpg33.jpg

Jpg37.jpg

Jpg34.jpg

Jpg36.jpg

Jpg35.jpg

The rest of the build shots are over in the WIP section.

A great weekend to all.

Steve :)

That is one of the nicest looking 109's I've seen for a long time - very well done

Des.

Now that is a stunner! Great job, I'll be pleased as punch if my 109E-4 in the stash turns out even half that good! I love the weathering - subtle but gives that used look to it - just spot on. Any tips on the paint job/weathering for when I come to do my build (which will be in a similar scheme)?

Now that is a stunner! Great job, I'll be pleased as punch if my 109E-4 in the stash turns out even half that good! I love the weathering - subtle but gives that used look to it - just spot on. Any tips on the paint job/weathering for when I come to do my build (which will be in a similar scheme)?

Hi Dave:

Thanks for that. Other build related info is here: Work In Progress

You're welcome to mail me at [email protected] if there's anything else I can fill in on.

Best regards

That is beautifully finished. May I suggest some subtle exhaust staining though?

Thanks for this JJ:

I did run some very thin black / red brown over the area aft of the 'zorsts but it's clearly too subtle for the images (it's more apparent in the flesh). I have noticed period shots (I took a gander through a fair few) of some E-3s don't show any obvious staining while some do. Perhaps the stained / non-stained photos reflected fuel quality and / or the state of tune of the motor?

Thanks again.

That is a simply beautiful build Steve, absolutely stunning finish! Just lovely! Now I want to build an Emil, after swearing I'd never build another 109!

Keef

PS, any progress on Laura's Camel? I kept checking back on Hyperscale but the way pages disappear so quickly on that site, I don't know whether I missed anything on it? I've also just had a look at your blog, but that doesn't seem to show anything later than August last year?

n.vodden - Thanks for that; much appreciated.

Keef - Likewise and good luck with your next Emil... :D 'Laura' is still on the bench but overtaken by other projects I regret. I hope to resume it in the not too distant. Thanks again.

Bob - 'allo geezer! I'm having a bit of a 'mare with transport at the minute, first Siberia comes to town, then I take the bike out and run over some weird, spiky object that's written off my five month old rear cover...terminally. A wallet bashing replacement's en route and once it's on I'll get out to your work gaff if that's ok Mr B? Hannants is probably off the radar this month as one's carefully laid cash plans are now re-written...

Best regards

Steve

Nice model and good presentation. Never been a huge fan of the '109 but they are really growing on me now.

Thanks for that. I was never a big 109 fan either but the range of schemes and finishes is drawing me in judging by what's gathering in the loft stash...

Steve