finish on airliners...

Kev1n

this Iberia A340 would probably come under the "or what?" part of the topic description...

A340-300_IB_EC-IDF_Madrid_Apr102005.jpg

this is the same aircraft, this pic taken a couple of weeks earlier - strangely, even with the rain marks, it's still shiny...

A340-300_IB_EC-IDF_Montevideo_Mar26.jpg

so does anybody have any comments about how you might build this?

It's on my to-do list, only I'll open up the doors and stuff it full of interior...but it will be DIRTY !

Edited by kev1n

i have to drive past the apron of manston airport every day, we see quite a few different planes. usually the visiting BA and virgin planes are nice and clean and shiny, but the old cargo aircraft from the far east and places like that are filthy- we see all sorts from 747 cargo planes to old smokey douglas DC8's, even saw an antonov 124 a few weeks ago!

Edited by lufbramatt

i have to drive past the apron of manston airport every day, we see quite a few different planes. usually the visiting BA and virgin planes are nice and clean and shiny,

clean BA?

ok I have seen a few....but more grubby ones :)

as far cargo carriers, cargo doesnt care how clean the plane is and russian planes are famous for being dirty....

Not that strange, your car gets mucky and stays shiny doesn't it?

Jen.

oh and fair point....altho' I dont have a car......

• 1 month later...
they are never clean

Civil Airliners are clean and shiny if they come from the factory. After some time they will be dirty and greasy. But in the 1/144 scale that will be hardly visable. Conclusion minor wheatering will be good but don't overdo the job.

regards Bert

"...in the 1/144 scale that will be hardly visable..."

cant say I agree with you there - scale is an excuse for not doing it.

and it will be visible...

• 4 weeks later...

I think I may well have built the first weathered airliner model in history. Back in about 1981 I built an Airfix 737-200 in Indian Airlines livery. The photo I had of the real thing showed a mismatched radome (the color demarcation was different from the rest of the a/c), heavily chipped red paint on the tail, and general dirt and gunk everywhere. Massively stained fuselage from the thrust reversers. I did my very best to imitate it on my model. You should have seen the faces when I plopped that bad boy down on the table at a contest. People were agog. Nobody had ever seen a weathered airliner model before. :)

J

Nobody had ever seen a weathered airliner model before. :)

J

Thats part of the problem - there is a perception that airliner models must be clean, sparkly and highly glossy.

Well, sorry to upset people but airliners are not glossy - shiny yes but glossy no.

and they get DIRTY!!!!

• 3 months later...

In the main, the bulk of the weathering (ie dirt) on planes i fly tend to be on the underside of the wings and around the wing root from the landing gear.

Wing undersides tend to be extensively streaked with grease, dirt from wet runways, oil and grease from the flap tracks and slat actuators, dirt from the wheels kicking up and so on. Gear legs, struts and wheel hubs are rarely clean and usually black with dirt and grease.

Paint tends to peel from the underside of the fuselage and round the APU housing. Decals tend to peel and chip after a while, and the brighter colour painshades do get streaked from rain and general abrasion over time.

One thing you most definitely will not see is the type of popular "panel line" type weathering, which is pure fantasy for the most part. Different colour shades on individual panels are more common, but thick, black, dirty lines along every panel most certainly are not.

Generally, as the things are flying 20 hours a day they tend to be kept quite clean by airflow polishing the surface (not a joke)! The only 777 I ever saw scheduled for a cosmetic wash was due to being caked in coagulated de-icing fluid and hence was burning more fuel due to the disrupted boundary layer airflow!

Still as i always say - build 'em how you like 'em!

there you do go.....

interesting idea mental....might try that

havent got a missus tho so my rep will go down the toilet when I go into boots to buy mascara.......

• 2 months later...

Image0435.jpg

This is one of our older GE-powered 777s, so it is especially dirty, but it's not exactly what we're used to seeing on airliner models is it?

Then again, this is one of our newest RR Trent less than a year old:

Image0165.jpg

Image0158.jpg

Image0156.jpg

Shiny wheels!!

Image0159.jpg

Normal wheels - during a wheel change:

Image0434.jpg

Keep em dirty boys!!

Edited by PHaTNesS

I was on the Sydenham bypass about 30 minutes ago when a 737 came out of Belfast City heading inland

Got a view from directly underneath and it was 'boggin', the undersurfaces of the wings behind the engines was black, not brown, not burnt umber, BLACK

Richard

I was on the Sydenham bypass about 30 minutes ago when a 737 came out of Belfast City heading inland

Got a view from directly underneath and it was 'boggin', the undersurfaces of the wings behind the engines was black, not brown, not burnt umber, BLACK

Richard