This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Eurofighter Typhoon

The Revell kit of this aircraft has been long anticipated, more so since the release of the Trumpeter kit in the same scale, which was slated by many for a number of inaccuracies that are tricky for all but the most hardened modeller to fix. Our hopes then rest with this latest offering from Revell, with a certain degree of excitement, after their successful and accurate issues of the Typhoon in 1:72 and 1:48 scales.

The kit arrived from ABC Models somewhat delayed by the recent bout of snow that the UK has been freezing beneath, but once the outer paper had been stripped away, a familiarly large top opening box (think 1:32 Tornado or Hunter) was revealed packed to the gunwales with foam chips by Mr Brickles of ABC, so that the components couldn't shift and chaffe in transit. Good idea, and useful to patch in the melting snow wink.png

boxtop.jpg

On clearing away the "snow", there's quite a bit of open space inside, plus 3 full size sprues, 6 medium sized sprues, and one small sprue of parts for the jet engine's trolley if you decide to model it outside the kit, all in Revell's now traditional pale grey styrene. There are also 2 small sprues of clear parts, more on which later. Their sheer size outgrew the boundaries of my photo setup, so apologies for the detritus visible round the edges of some of the photos!

sprues.jpg

The clear sprues are split into one for the ancillary clear parts such as lights, the HUD glazing etc., while the second sprue contains only two parts - the main canopy and windscreen, which are moulded sitting vertically on the sprue, with their flat opening faces downmost. There is a rather noticable seam mark down both parts, necessary because most modern jets have a "blown" goldfish bowl of a canopy, to enhance the view of the pilots around the airframe. I have to say that this is one of the most noticable seams I've seen, and there appears to be some optical distortion around the seam. Thankfully, the seam is on the outside only, so judicious use of successively finer grades of sanding sticks should eradicate this, and take away at least some of the distortion into the bargain. I suspect it will be a case of trial and error before you get a perfectly clear part however. I have reproduced the picture quite large so that you can judge for yourself. Normal service resumes below.

canopy.jpg

On the styrene sprues, there is a little flash evident here and there, but nothing of any consequence. A number of parts on my copy suffered from sink marks, including some pylons, the leading edge slats, the airbrake shell, on the underside of the "splitter plate" above the intakes for the EF2000 engines, which is annoyingly placed in between some rather fine raised detail. All of these can be filled with CA (super glue) and sanded back, and sadly are a fact of life in injection moulded kits of such complexity. There are, however very few ejector pin marks, and those that are present, are generally well hidden. You'll have to sand a couple on the rudder back however, as they prevent the two halves from mating.

Surface detail of the main parts is excellent, consisting of fine raised and engraved details where appropriate, and happily very few rivets - almost absent from the majority of the airframe, as it is predominantly constructed of bonded materials. The cockpt seems to be one area where effort has not been expended, giving only a loose approximation of the side consoles worthy of a 1980's release. The coaming is a much better shape than the 1:48 kit, and portrays the various facets well, if a little simplified due to the requirements of injection moulding. It does provide a fine canvas on which to expend your excess energy in super-detailing though, should you wish. The instrument panel is similarly well rendered, and compares pretty well to available photographs, save for the buttons lining the edges of the MFD screens.

coaming.jpg

cockpit.jpg

ip.jpg

You can also see the shallow sink marks in the airbrake in the photos above, and some details of the ejector seat. The rear deck behind the pilot, often referred to as the turtle-deck for reasons unknown to me, is nicely detailed, and has further parts to increase the level of detail, as shown below:

deck.jpg

The intakes for the EF2000 engines are complex in shape on the real thing, and this is replicated in the construction process, although I feel that a more accurate effort could have been made. The kit basically copies the exact design of the 1:48 kit, with the only difference being the splitting of some fine parts to avoid unseemly sink marks. The intakes are covered in seams from the over-complex construction, and extend back only half way down the nose gear bay, making them several scale feet short or more. They terminate in a blanking plate with no detail, and on a kit of this size and overall quality, the modeller would be right to expect more.

intakes1.jpg

intakes2.jpg

You can clearly see the mass of seams to clean up, and the missing portion that is moulded integral to the fuselage halves, further complicating matters. The splitter between the two engines is commendably thin however, and as with the 1:48 kit, the adjustable bottom lips are moulded as separate parts, to give the modeller some options. The exhaust to the port side above the intakes is rendered as a separate part, giving the area some depth, but there will also be some seams to clean up on the outside, with the potential for loss of detail there too.

What self-respecting modeller would be able to resist a quick tape-up of such a kit? Certainly not me, so here she is:

tapeup1.jpg

tapeup2.jpg

The underside is similarly well detailed, and as well as separate slats, you also have separate flying surfaces (and rudder), and an array of pylons, minus the inner pylon for the ground pounder. The munitions and fuel tanks are provided aplenty, and are generally well moulded, if a little simplified for this large scale. Those wanting to push the boat out would be advised to consult Mr Parkins of Flightpath for some splendid alternatives.

I have already briefly mentioned the EF2000 engine that can be built as a stand-alone kit, along with a trolley on which to display it. Many will be pleased to hear that they do not have to model the aircraft in this manner, as all of the opening panels are optional, and a second exhaust is included for the more conservative modeller that does not wish to have all the bays hanging open, as they feel it ruins the lines of this sleek aircraft. Your options are pointed out during the construction process, and I expect that the majority will probably plump for the closed up fuselage and either build the engine or not, depending on their whim.

The instruction sheet provided is typical of Revell, and I find their style of cramming in 8 or more construction steps to a page results in an overly busy and potentially confusing layout. That's just my opinion though, and your mileage may vary. Decals are comprehensive, printed in Italy, and have a Cartograf crispness to them, although they are not credited with the work. Out of the box you can build either a German machine from Jagdgeschwader 74 "Molders" in Neuberg during 2009, or an F.2 of the RAF's 11 Squadron at Consingsby in 2009. Full stencilling for the comprehensive weapons provided is included, with a full page devoted to painting and decaling instructions for these items.

Conclusion
Overall, the kit hits many high spots, with the main two negatives being the sparse cockpit and the poor intakes. The detail on the rest of the kit is perfectly adequate for most of us from the box, with plenty of options for improving or adding to that provided. On the face of it, it does not seem to suffer from any major shape issues, although a learned colleague has expressed some concern over the shape of the intakes. I'm sure that discussion will develop on the forums in due course.

Out of the box, it will build up into a fine and impressive model of this 4.5th generation fighter/bomber, and should find favour with modellers in general, especially at the price point of around £45. I think I will be building this one soon, but we already have a build in the final stages by one of our members here if you're impatient to see it built up.

Review sample courtesy of Paul Brickes of logo.gif in Crewe, Cheshire.

Good review of a great kit Mike, looking forward to seeing the

2 Mikes resin for this kit

Regards

Dan

Yes- you are actually quite a good modeler by all (well some bloke I met in Tesco's) accounts, so get yer finger out and do it!

Received mine today from Graham at Relish. Not had a chance to look in great detail yet but I did notice & was a little dissappointed by those cockpit side consoles too. The scheduled release of FOD covers is welcome news.

Excellent review Mickles :)

Thank you Johnles. I shall be updating this review in the near future once I've had a chance to go over it with a fine tooth comb. I've spotted a few minor issues already, but nothing that can't be corrected by some modelling skills or an aftermarket correction :)

Thank you Johnles. I shall be updating this review in the near future once I've had a chance to go over it with a fine tooth comb. I've spotted a few minor issues already, but nothing that can't be corrected by some modelling skills or an aftermarket correction :)

That rear deck behind the seat needs some serious attention, it seems to be the very vague 1/48 lumps and bumps merely scaled up, not much reference info around on that area either :(