Lepus Flare Colours

NG899

Hi,

Despite seeing several black and white photos of these flares being carried on early Development Build Harriers, I've never been able to track down what colour they actually were. Black, dark green or dark blue seem the likeliest options but can anyone please confirm for sure?

Many thanks,

Nick

The current Def Standard specifies aircraft carried illuminating flares should be white overall, but allows for that to be changed if required for camouflage purposes (Def Stan 00810 Pt 11).

This post on PPRune seems to confirm white:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/264...tml#post3132501

Drill versions are (and were) Deep Saxe Blue, and I wonder if that was the colour you see on the DB aircraft (e.g. XV277 in the mason book) - that's certainly the colour of the ones in the 'The harrier can carry all these bombs' armament layout shots.

Pretty sure you can see some white Lepus stored on the on-deck armoury on Hermes.

The current Def Standard specifies aircraft carried illuminating flares should be white overall, but allows for that to be changed if required for camouflage purposes (Def Stan 00810 Pt 11).

This post on PPRune seems to confirm white:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/264...tml#post3132501

Drill versions are (and were) Deep Saxe Blue, and I wonder if that was the colour you see on the DB aircraft (e.g. XV277 in the mason book) - that's certainly the colour of the ones in the 'The harrier can carry all these bombs' armament layout shots.

Pretty sure you can see some white Lepus stored on the on-deck armoury on Hermes.

The final operational rounds in service were Deep Bronze Green with a white role band. As you mention above, this was no doubt because they were intended for external carriage on aircraft with wrap-around camouflage.

Thank you all for the info so far.

So, it's possible that RN ones used by the SHAR Sqns were white - as per SHARs' original white undersides - while any RAF Harrier Sqn ones would be Deep Bronze Green, yes?

(Off to trawl through my umpteen Harrier books for Hermes deck shots. The problem's been I've been looking out for a dark shape rather than a white one!)

Cheers,

Nick

I have a DVD entitled Harrier which includes trials film of a Lepus flare release from a SHAR1. The flare is white overall.

Phil.