Mike does C-3PO (ooer)

Mike

Thanks for the link Tony... I'm gonna chance my arm :) I bought some foil adhesive from Edgar a couple of SMWs ago, so I'll give that a go - see if it works :unsure:

Tony - if you're trying to replicate the gold insulation on the lunar module, I used Cadbury's Bournville inner gold colored wrapping paper, loosely crinkled before being cut to size (with a bit extra for folding over), and it looked pretty good back in the day. I don't know where that went, but it'll be around somewhere. :hmmm:

Mike I double linked, the one I ordered was this one from Thailand, but 10 times the amount :) ooooeeerrr, customs............... looks like I better start munching the old chocolate :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

If you find your gold leaf redundant and I get on ok with mine, I suspect I'll need more than 10 sheets, so we'll come to some "arrangement" ;)

If it helps before you go along the gold leaf route, which I think you will have problems with because of all the compound curves, I sprayed mine with the Plastikote gold. I gives a good colour and finish but did take a while to dry properly.

DSCF3315.JPGDSCF3316.JPGDSCF3317.JPG

The pattern showing on the chest and arm is a reflection and not in the paint.....

I couldn't have painted the vertical lines on the eyes so did them as a decal on my pc, if it helps I can send you the artwork or print a set for you. Only mods I made to the kit were to change the pose a bit to improve the inquisitive look and replace the white metal parts on the arms with brass rod and tube.

I've also done the Storm Trooper, Han Solo and the Princess from the same source which are all nice kits but the last two are definitely smaller despite supposedly being the same scale. They look good next to my AMT Darth Vader and Polydata Obi-Wan (both with LEDs in the light sabres) and I've got the R2D2 in the stash.

Steve

That's not a bad gold rendition Steve... rattle can, I guess? Clever work with the decals too. I'll have a squint at my Threepio's eyes tomorrow & see whether they're paintable, or whether I should take you up on your kind offer :)

What's the Plastikote like at standing up to handling after it's dry?

That's not a bad gold rendition Steve... rattle can, I guess? Clever work with the decals too. I'll have a squint at my Threepio's eyes tomorrow & see whether they're paintable, or whether I should take you up on your kind offer :)

What's the Plastikote like at standing up to handling after it's dry?

Cheers! I had a look at lots of other gold finishes but none of them looked right to me, this gave the right colour and metallic look without being obviously painted. Yeah the Plastikote is a rattle can - got it from Wilkinsons I think but Homebase, B+Q etc do them as well. As I'd not used it before I did a test spray first and it took a couple of days to be properly dry. Subsequent coats do seem to soften the previous coat so it can take longer. It's been about a month now since I sprayed it (2 coats and some touch-ups over Halfords primer) and it's hardened off ok.

No problem with the artwork/decals, the offer is there if you need it. I just didn't fancy trying to paint the lines and get them paralell etc in such a small area. 5 mins work on CorelDraw vs. a lot of frustration and bad language..... :hmmm:

Keep up the good work.

Steve

I know RichC was able to "sputter" tiny quantities of gold onto a canopy, but I doubt something as large as this would fit in his machine... it's getting on for 12" tall.

Yep, too big Mike. If it had come in smaller component form it may have been possible. But the sputter coat is very delicate and can't really be handled, so not the best choice here anyway.

rich

Yep, too big Mike. If it had come in smaller component form it may have been possible. But the sputter coat is very delicate and can't really be handled, so not the best choice here anyway.

rich

I remember from chatting about it. I also thought it was a bit cheeky to ask you ;)

I suppose a coat of Klear over it would protect it though.

The 10 sheets of gold leaf arrived today in a tiny little envelope, so I rushed out to the workshop to test it out!

The process is quite simple, but very fiddly. I loaded a flat brush with some of Edgar's foil adhesive, giving my chosen panel a thin, even coat. Once the glue has dried clear, I slid a sheet of GL off its backing paper with another wide, soft brush. If you touch it with your fingers - it WILL stick! :S I then burnished it down with the brush. It looked a bit thin in places, so I put another sheet over the first one, which improved it immensely. Burnishing the gold once in situ is a complete no-no though, as it is so fragile.

leaftest1.jpg

It is a nice shade of gold, but the patina isn't smooth, probably because of the primer underneath, even though it had been sanded to a shine. How does it compare with the Vallejo Liquid Gold?

paint-test.jpg

I think the paint has the edge at this stage. I'm going to try an undercoat of gloss black next to see whether it improves the look of the GL. Watch this space :)

To my eyes (and not taking into account differences in light, reflection, photos etc) the gold leaf has the better colour, but the paint has the better finish. BTW, don't forget that, for most of his on-screen appearances, his right lower leg was silver. Or was it his left? No, I'm sure it's his right.

Obi-Jiff :fish:

Thanks for your opinion Jeff... the paint test was done with Gold, but I also have Rich Gold, which has a more orange appearance. I'll do a paint test on that if I decide the leaf is a bust. I had planned on using the lighter Gold for highlights and to vary the tone of the parts of his body... wif me? :)

Says burnish it with a stone jobby and it comes up like a mirror mike, there is a little film on utube showing it being done on a mirror frame, just search for burnishing gold leaf or the like.

here you go and he is quite rough with it

Edited by TonyT

Errr... burnishing with anything on the original test didn't go well... it just removed the leaf & exposed the grey primer :shrug:

Test 2 on top of gloss black Tamiya rattle can paint. MUCH better, and the only unsuccessful aspect was the gold showed the brush strokes in the glue. I think next time it'll have to be sprayed on.

leaftest2.jpg

Comments?

I wonder what GL over gold paint would look like? It'd certainly hide any screw ups :hmmm:

I've just done a couple more tests, and they were both disasters. First one was on tacky Klear... didn't even stick! :hmmm: Same thing for still wet "Edgar Glue", so that's another sheet wasted ^_^

Jeff - I think that if it's a gloss gold, it should be ok. I'll give it a try sometime & see. I'll not be able to paint/GL him until I've sorted out the putty round the midriff yet - a few bits that need trimming/sanding. I'll also need to make a firm decision either way, and if it's GL, I'll need to order more! :S

Email me that tube and I'll give it a try... is it expensive? :pipe:

What's it like after application? Sturdy? Does it need a coat of varnish to keep it shiny?