Mike does C-3PO (ooer)

Mike

After finding an old MPC Threepio, discussed here I waltzed out & bought a vinyl kit of them both on evilBay, and tacked the Threepio figure together, thusly:

tacked.jpg

I pulled him to bits a week or so ago and filled all the cavities with a watery mix of filler, to give the kit some weight, and to keep it in position, even if the vinyl got warm somehow. I tried using 2-part epoxy, but the joints were really weak, so I went back to CA and glued the main parts together with copious quantities to give it some strength (hopefully).

After a bit of a clean up I coated the whole thing with Vallejo acrylic primer, as the instructions tell you not to use enamel or etching primers. After some filling with CA of some dents, heat ripples and general imperfections, I gave it another coat, and here he is. Pretty armless at the moment, as they're still drying off in the spray booth.

body1.jpg

If time permits, I want to get this painted up once I've got the balance of the imperfections sorted, but I also have to try & prepare the white metal actuator rams for installation, even though the instructions don't give me a clue as to where each part goes. They're also cast from a very brittle shiny metal, with less than circular profiles. It might be easier in the long run to replace them with sections of sleeved brass rod. I'm undecided at the moment though, and it'll be time consuming to replace them completely ^_^

Am I going barking or was there not a pic on here of a leg section painted with Vallejo gold and the fact he used his coffee stirrer come modifiyed paint stirrer to mix it up ?

sure there was?

Nice. What are you going to use for gold, Mike?

Obi-Jiff :fish:

Vallejo Liquid Gold... I've got 2 shades to give things a little definition. Here's a quick spray test I did last year:

paint-test.jpg

Hmmmm a camp robot, interesting subject Mickles :D

I'd actually be consider having that gold plated, its the only way I can think of to get a gold mirror-like finish :S

I'd actually be consider having that gold plated, its the only way I can think of to get a gold mirror-like finish :S

How on earth would one achieve that? :blink:

I think there are inexpensive kits available, thats about all I know to be honest mate :S

Doesn't the item have to be metallic and conductive? There are kits on eBay, but they all require the aforementioned to work :hmmm:

I know RichC was able to "sputter" tiny quantities of gold onto a canopy, but I doubt something as large as this would fit in his machine... it's getting on for 12" tall.

Doesn't the item have to be metallic and conductive? There are kits on eBay, but they all require the aforementioned to work :hmmm:

I know RichC was able to "sputter" tiny quantities of gold onto a canopy, but I doubt something as large as this would fit in his machine... it's getting on for 12" tall.

I have got a few gold choccy wrappers left over from Christmas...

Can you not use gold foil the same way you apply aluminium foil onto aircraft to simulate bare metal?

Can you not use gold foil the same way you apply aluminium foil onto aircraft to simulate bare metal?

I was thinking the same - might be tricky around the face, but much of the body parts would look great under burnished gold foil :)

Hmmm... gold foiling :hmmm:

Anyhow... I did a bit more tidying up, and filled the sizeable gap between the upper & lower torso with Magic Sculp left over from another job. I extended the cabling into the upper torso by sculpting the putty while it was still malleable, then smoothed it out with a wet sculpting tool. You probably can't see much difference, but I've blutaked his arms on to give you an idea of his pose.

body2.jpg

body3.jpg

body4.jpg

Mike you can buy various gold plating kits off evilbay though needs metal to work.

BUT what about Gold Leaf? prices vary

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-SHEETS-CERTIFIED-...=item2c528b9e19

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-SHEETS-CERTIFIED-...=item2c528b9e19

you will need some size too for it to adhere it, did they not used to use egg whites?

Edited by TonyT

Versatile as an egg, is there no stopping the man, I'm no expert at this lark but it looks good to me.

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

Looks like fun. Im still trying to wade through my Naboo Starfighter, after the cats got on the bench. I'm thinking someone must make a buffable gold metallic?

Rub n buff gold leaf would be a damn site cheaper than going for actual gold leaf, might be worth a try as long as you get the base coat of primer as smooth as a baby's bottom........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rub-n-Buff-Metallic-...=item518fa8cb93

Regards,

JB.

Just had a thought, when gold leaf is aplied unless it is perfectly flat and void of any crease whatsoever it will show up everything and end up with a wrinkled appearance, very difficult stuff to work with I can tell you!!!

Regards,

JB.

I just ordered 100 sheets to have a go, was thinking I could use it on my apollo spacecraft I have.. it was about a fiver :) That rub and buff looks cool though

Edited by TonyT