KUTA II- finally done- F-18 VA-34 Blue Blasters.

Mentalguru

I originally started this F-18 for a group build on ARC, many many years ago, during a previous life, a previous modeling existence on a previous modeling website.

Well, I am done. The photo's aren't great- taken with my Nokia, but better than I have managed before, and all this uploading stuff is new to me, so I'm happy I'm learning something new and will stop any more Nigel Mansell style moderator whingeing. :grouphug:

I found it far more difficult to get an acceptable and subtle finish on this old kit than I had expected, maybe because I had to go back over old work so often?

Anyhow..

4256054517_86df5e0a86_b.jpg

4256056361_529d70090f_b.jpg

4256052077_a7dbd57a33_b.jpg

4256808626_34222d9a9b_b.jpg

MentalGuru in model photograph posting shocker! :shocked:

Looks quite nice actually Rich... See? Wasn't that hard now, was it? :rolleyes:

Just taken some more- I think I need to get lighting sorted out.

Thing is- when I press the button to focus it- it changes focus- goes through a cycle where it is CRYSTAL clear- then pops back to slightly off focus... WHY? I can only get better...

Looks great Rich :speak_cool:

Just taken some more- I think I need to get lighting sorted out.

Thing is- when I press the button to focus it- it changes focus- goes through a cycle where it is CRYSTAL clear- then pops back to slightly off focus... WHY? I can only get better...

Try placing the model on a sheet (bed or card), so that the only thing the camera has to focus on, is the model.

Looks good. B)

Like the subtle weathering. :thumbsup2:

Which kit?.

Hi Smiffy.

Thank you all for your comments- very kind :)

It's the Monogram kit- built straight form the box. I gave up trying to correct all the errors- just too many of them. it is blobby, full of sink-marks, raised panel lines etc. Fit is lousy. Clear part of canopy is separate to hood. Nosecone is absolute scrap plastic. Vertical tails are not very good in accuracy or size.

However- seat is excellent, undercarriage is also quite respectable.

I like the finish I have achieved. However, with the photographic intelligence I have (zip) and no decent camera, it is difficult to take pics without flooding it with light, which kills the images on such pale camou. I need some tutorials, and decent kit.

I have just finished painting the cockpit of a Tamiya Fw-190 D9, and want to take pics before Insert it into the fuselage- but just can't see the point unless I get lucky and get a decent camera and lighting rig- sooo much to learn.... so little time.

mmmmm nice, what did you use for the front undercarriage oleo ? looks very realistic :)

You ARE observant aren't you!

Why- a steel sewing needle shaft of course- such an easy mod- such a great result :)

Hi Smiffy.

It's the Monogram kit- built straight form the box.

Thought I recognised it.

That makes it an even more impressive job then. :thumbsup: I've got one in the stash and it's a pretty bad moulding.

I remember one in Finescale years ago (about 1990?) where the builder had sanded off all the raised detail and then drawn all the panel lines back on with a fine pencil after painting. It looked fantastic.

That build made me buy the kit.

It was quite a shock once I had a good look through the box. :o