How to paint tyre/wheel edges.

palacefan

• 4 weeks later...

I've used this tip for a couple of builds now, and it's probably the easiest and most effective tip I've got on Britmodeller so far ( and trust me, I've got a *lot* of help here ). My 1:144 F-14's wheels have just turned out perfect because of this. Thanks!

J.

• 3 weeks later...

The thinner method. Simples! Free! Brilliant! Thank you!

The spray mask. Also brilliant but may I suggest buying a circle template from a stationery store (about a pound) instead of the same thing with the hobbyist price premium.

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been doing that for years - you do need the kit makers to provide that helpful raised wheel hub rim though. The tricky ones are the wheels without a raised rim... A steady hand and a (relatively) new 000 brush are required. One thing I found helpful is to put a roll of masking tape onto the top of a spray can lid and place the wheel on the tape. The can lid with wheel attached is much easier and less tiring (for us oldies) to hold when bush painting the wheel than trying to hold the wheel itself.

:giles:

Darius

• 1 year later...

Genius - Just as I have many Abrams road wheels to paint. :bounce:

Question. I have sprayed the wheels using Vallejo model air and will probably use Humbrol black for the tyres. What would be best to use as a thinner that wont attack the Vallejo? Or should I give them a coat of Klear first???

Edited by snapper_city

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I cant believe I put this up almost 6 years ago now. I so pleased it has helped this many people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I would think there would have to be a groove of some kind even a slight change in cross section between the tyre and rim otherwise it would run onto the rim.

If not try scribing the rim where it touches the tyre.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Silly me!

Never thought of running a scriber at the rim-tyre junction...

That may just be the answer to my impending nervous breakdown with my F-89 wheel painting.

Will try that later today

Thanks for the tip!

JR

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm same..ok if a decent size but,im getting on a bit now at 44, lol and my eyes are failing fast..

Daz

Great tip. I wish I had seen this when I was painting my 1/72 Sea Kings and Jolly Green, although I'm not sure the wheels are moulded well enough for this to work on them.

Definitely keep it in mind for future builds with wheels, I have a 1/48 MH60 and a 1/72 Choctaw to build that has wheels this might work on.