1:32 Hunters

Iain Ogilvie

That's got to be one for Bill!

OK - Have Alcladded the drop tanks and tailplanes with Aluminium - looks great!

Alclad easier as, although more spray work/expense - it is tough as old boots and can be polished back with micromesh...

Also - it's a finer pigment - and that does show!

So - cracking on - but *will* run out of Alclad Aluminium - need to get an order in.

The Gloss Black primer produces such a good, thin, finish that dries almost instantly (minimising dust) that I'm really tempted to use it on a Black Arrows bird at some point!

Anyways - the Aluminium looking great as a 'High Speed Silver' - and should stand up well to rigours of masking and weathering.

Next test will be using Gunze paints for the first time on the camouflage.

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Next batch of pix - bear in mind the silver will tone down under matt/satin varnish:

180small131.JPG

180small132.JPG

180small133.JPG

And finally - the FGA Mk 9 in black primer - looks rough in the pic (I blame the flash) - but has highlighted a few bits that need putty. Repairs done - the Black Alclad will be polished with Micromesh - then Silver.

180small134.JPG

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

OK - a little progress today - but defo on a roll...

FGA Mk 9 - flaws puttied and sanded - ready for some more black primer later - should be ready for polishing with Micromesh prior to final silver then. Managed to break off the windshield - so glued back on - and puttied again - doh!

F Mk 6 - Underside sprayed black - only two minor flaws found - now filled. Once hardened I'll sand back and touch up as above.

Undercarriage legs prepped and now Alclad silver. Looking at pics of the Khormaksar Hunter Wing aircraft many appear to have gear that appears to have a translucent yellow protective coating over the silver - as the silver underneath shows through it takes on a slight greenish tinge. Will give a set of legs a thin coating of Tamiya Clear Yellow and well see what it looks like.

More soon...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

How well do you think a Bleached Bones/Codex Grey combination would work for FAA aircraft?

Joseph

I think that you could get a rather nice "sky grey" colour with those paints, yes. I'm doing a Wildcat at the moment (GM one) and used a pretty similar mix in enamels and it looks good, so I'd imagine you could get much the same with codex grey and bleached bone.

OK - after multiple sanding/filling/polishing sessions I think the black undercoat is almost there - just a couple of touch-ups and some more polishing with micro-mesh. May get silver on by Sunday!

180small136.JPG

Now - photos of Khormaksar Hunters shows many nose wheels/nose legs coated in a yellowish protective layer - have had a bash here with Tamiya clear yellow over silver and very happy with result - but...

Question - does anyone know if main wheels/legs were similarly treated?

Here's what we have so far:

180small138.JPG

Above first pic taken with the recent Maplin photo box acquisition - quite pleased with result! :)

And a little closer - hopefully you can see the difference between the colours!

180small139.JPG

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

That protective finish looks about right to me; I seem to remember seeing something similar on the Victor at Cosford (so I assume it's the same thing)...

It'll be good to see these beauties in paint, your attention to surface preparation has been very thorough, so that silver ought to look great. :)

Thanks Dave - seems a good match to the pix I've seen (from http://www.radfanhunters.co.uk )

DaveW%20strapping%20in%20PeteL_Ksar_1963_RD.jpg

The effect I've got on the model components is *very* close to this (better in real life than the photo as Flash has washed it out a little). Nothing concrete - but will prolly do the main legs/wheels as well - unless anyone knows different?

Not had a chance to apply any paint this weekend - but may get a bit more polishing in before bed.

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

OK - black primer micromeshed to within a micron of it's life - a few minor glitches to cure - and a little rescribing (again!) and we'll be making progress.

I'll be so pleased once paint is on - don't think I've ever spent this much time prepping!

Iain

Just been looking at pix again on the radfanhunters site - and spotted a few a/c that appear to have a 'towel rail' aerial of some sort - was this a common fit to 8/43 Sqn FGA Mk.9s??

XJ692-T_airborne%20over%20Aden_1967_NH.jpg

Any thoughts? Pleeze!!!

Iain (who started these as an AMS beating exercise - some hope!!)

Edited by 32SIG

Where abouts are you looking for said "towel rail" aeriels? I can see some rails of that shape under the wings (outboard of the tanks and either side of the outboard pylon), but I presume they are rocket rails or something? Please forgive me if I'm simply being blind/thick here... it is silly o'clock and stuff!

Hiya,

Underneath the fuselage - off centre (to port) - with the rear of the aerial almost lining up with the hinge line on the port flap?

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Where abouts are you looking for said "towel rail" aeriels? I can see some rails of that shape under the wings (outboard of the tanks and either side of the outboard pylon), but I presume they are rocket rails or something? Please forgive me if I'm simply being blind/thick here... it is silly o'clock and stuff!

look directly above the port u/c bay door. It is on the center belly of the plane. I had to hunt (excuse the pun) as well.

Did not see that 32sig had replied as well. Sorry

Edited by andy wood

LOL...

I think these builds are giving me yet another Anorak to tuck in the closet - and it's got a Hunter on it!

Still not been able to get any more info on that aerial.

LORAN perchance?

I guess, more importantly atm than what it is - how widely used was it on Khormaksar squadrons/aircraft - and do I need to add one to XE550?

Anyhoo - off to do some more Hunter fondling - I may be some time...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Anyhoo - off to do some more Hunter fondling - I may be some time...

And what more beautiful aircraft to fondle? ;)

Also just a random point about said picture of XJ692, she's got what I presume is a replacement gear door on the port side - interesting feature which might help to "personalise" a model, if the inclination takes you!

Yup - had spotted the (replacement?) gear door...

At present planning to do XE550 from the Aeromaster sheet - but may change.

The F Mk 6 I'm not going to worry about too much - just use the kit decals and not get too stressed! Unless anyone has any good pix of XF387 on 56 Sqn in 1960??

Should have silver undersides done today (at long last!).

Iain

The aerial seems to have been a standard feature of the FR.10. The aerial, as quoted in the book, RAF Hunters in Germany, was part of the Marconi radio compass. This aerial was also fitted to export FGA.9s (FGA.70).

regards,

Andrew

The aerial seems to have been a standard feature of the FR.10. The aerial, as quoted in the book, RAF Hunters in Germany, was part of the Marconi radio compass. This aerial was also fitted to export FGA.9s (FGA.70).

regards,

Andrew

But XJ692 is an FGA9 - there's a photo of her earlier in 43 Sqn colours..also found this pic of 208 Sqns., XK151 - an FGA9 ca.1965 which clearly shows the towel rail - so it would appear that it appeared on RAF FGA9's too....

XK151-D_airborne-underside_1965_KS.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark

Yay - first coats of Alclad on and looking mighty sexy :)

Have given a quick polish with micromesh then another final coat on the wings tomorrow (and some pix maybe).

F Mk6 in Matt Aluminium and the FGA Mk9 in White Aluminium (just cos I'm running low in Matt Aluminium - but they're almost identical).

Off to bedski...

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

Need to put another coat of Alclad on (once I've fixed a few more minor flaws) to ensure an even finish - but, yes, I recon it should produce a convincing High Speed Silver.

Although more aggro - the Alclad is tough - and minor flaws can be polished out and re-covered/blended easily.

Iain

EDIT - If I can get another can of airbrush cleaner on my way home this evening I'll finish the Alclad and post pix :)

Edited by 32SIG

regards,

Andrew

Sorry I didn't spot this thread sooner.

That 'towel rail' aerial is the ADF Sense aerial - part of the ADF (Automatic Direction Finder) / radio compass system fitted to many RAF FGA.9, FR.10 and some late F.6A aircraft. The corresponding ADF Loop aerial is fitted to the engine gearbox access door.

ADF systems were also fitted to certain export marks so these style aerials often appear on the later exports, e.g. FGA.78, FGA.76 etc., as well. The avionics fit on export Hunters varied depending on customer requirements, so aerial fit varied widely from mark to mark.

Cheers,

Mark