Hawker P.1127 in 48th scale

NG899

As the Harrier SIG's Scale ModelWorld display this year focuses on prototypes, what better way to start than with a decent P.1127 in 1:48th scale?

Thanks to Chris Farara at the Brooklands Museum, who provided me with some useable GA drawings and dimensions, I was able to contemplate this up until Christmas, when it was time for action. Before you ask, yes, a Kestrel will be on the bench, once this one's further down the line; that should be much easier! Having originally thought of making XP831 in first untethered flight mode (16/11/1960) I am now aiming to show her in first transition flight config around 12/09/1961...

P1127-XP831-TransitionFlightQ2.jpg

Here's the build so far...

Working out what to do with the fuselage using the nozzle C/Ls as datums...

IMG_1593PB.jpg

IMG_1598PB.jpg

More milliput WOULD be needed!

IMG_1618PB.jpg

Detail ahead of fan...

IMG_1622PB.jpg

Fuselage cut, joined and more milliput applied...

IMG_1656PB.jpg

Modified fin sections...

IMG_1661PB.jpg

Upper fuselage flattened, all areas hashed red to be removed...

IMG_1662PB.jpg

Back to the dust and mayhem... It may be a while before I post more progress shots, work is sure to get in the way!

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by NG899

A lot of work ahead of you Nick but sure it will be worthwhile.

Did once contemplate a similar job in 72nd so will be following your progress closely.

will watch this thread with a great deal of interest Nick

good luck with the project

veering off topic a tad i notice that Alan Hall Publishing have released a Warpaint volume on the early Harriers and another on the Shars

The former should be interesting especially

Edited by walrus

Looking good, Nick.

I have promised to bring a Kestrel to SMW myself. But I have to finish a couple of other projects before I can start.

Nils

Hi Dave,

Mr Mad here! Yep, noted the wing position, it's further forward on the P.1127 - see the 3rd photo looking down on the GR1 and plans. I'm using the Pegasus nozzle C/L positions as the one datum I can work from.

Come on, grab one of those Monogram kits from your stash and join in the fun!

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Dave,

Mr Mad here! Yep, noted the wing position, it's further forward on the P.1127 - see the 3rd photo looking down on the GR1 and plans. I'm using the Pegasus nozzle C/L positions as the one datum I can work from.

Cheers,

Nick

Well, I had thought about converting one back to a Kestrel....

Hi Dave,

Cheers,

Nick

I haven't got one, wish I did though. Nice work Nick.

Tony :clif:

Hi Bill,

Kestrel much easier - mainly the nozzles, their fairings and intakes, the main u/c bay and the cockpit, windscreen and canopy, the outriggers. No wing position moves, no centre section re-hacks, easy-peasy!

Ollie, As to one in 24th... Back in 1982 I converted a 48th Monogram GR.1 into a Sea Harrier FRS.1 and then scaled that up the following year for the first iteration of my big SHAR. So, who knows what I may do with that spare 24th scale GR3...!

My logic behind this is: why spend lots of money on fall-together kits when you can spend a bit on one model that keeps you busy for years? After all, I've still got to finish the front u/c bay in the big SHAR yet.

I'm off to pick up my Dremel and get burring...

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by NG899
  • Like 1

Ollie, As to one in 24th... Back in 1982 I converted a 48th Monogram GR.1 into a Sea Harrier FRS.1 and then scaled that up the following year for the first iteration of my big SHAR. So, who knows what I may do with that spare 24th scale GR3...!

Go on Nick, i think we would all love to see you make one in 1:24.

Hi Bill,

Kestrel much easier - mainly the nozzles, their fairings and intakes, the main u/c bay and the cockpit, windscreen and canopy, the outriggers. No wing position moves, no centre section re-hacks, easy-peasy!

My logic behind this is: why spend lots of money on fall-together kits when you can spend a bit on one model that keeps you busy for years? After all, I've still got to finish the front u/c bay in the big SHAR yet.

Cheers,

Nick

Thats why I chose it!!

Hi Walrus,

If you can get them - they are as rare as the Monogram GR1s ! - the old Airfix P1127 is a good starting point. I put these two together very quickly a few years ago...

XP831 in its first untethered flight (16-Nov-60, Dunsfold) configuration...

IMG_1681PB.jpg

...and, in its first conventional flight (13-Mar-61, RAE Bedford) set up...

IMG_1682PB.jpg

The main things I did on the top one were remodel the intake lips and scratch build the outriggers and their RCV openings, adding nose and tailboom RCVs and the two vents on the engine cover; the seat was an Aeroclub white metal MB4, iirc. For the lower one it was again detailing the outriggers, including the lights in the front of their cones, detailing the tailboom and RCVs. On both I removed the rivets and added simple panel line details and various aerials.

Hope that helps,

Nick

A couple of hours of Dremelling and P60 / coarse flexi-file (FF) have got the rear fuselage to here.

IMG_1713PB.jpg

IMG_1716PB.jpg

I've taken as much away as I can from the inside to save weight on the u/c later on, but I heard a bad crack as I was finishing that bit - the old airbrake bay plasticard in-fill has cracked away from the milliput, so it's out with the thin superglue and then another quick sand down after that has set for about 10mins (with accelerator).

The hard bit is getting plan view symmetry right - the port side currently tapers back in a more rounded way than the stbd side - and not over reducing where the re-join will be. So, after another quick dose of P60+FF on the port side, the plan is to use quick setting Araldite to rejoin the rear fuselage to the rest of it. After that smooth some more milliput around the join and recommence the sanding process with various FFs. Luckily, I have a great photo of XP976 taken from the rear quarter and above that shows the complex contours of the rear fuselage to perfection.

More to follow in due course...

Cheers,

Nick

Yer BONKERS !, Stark staring raving bonkers young Nick - But I certainly wish I had your patience.

Dennis

PS. Which wing be you a-putting on it then ?. The "straight" one or the "kinky" one ? (you may answer in a plain brown envelope if you wish !!)

DR

Yer BONKERS !, Stark staring raving bonkers young Nick - But I certainly wish I had your patience.

Dennis

PS. Which wing be you a-putting on it then ?. The "straight" one or the "kinky" one ? (you may answer in a plain brown envelope if you wish !!)

DR

Glad someone else agrees with the Madness of Harrier One.

If it's XP831, it should be the 'straight' one (Unless you have a photo of it with the kinky one, in which case I can add it to my database of P1127 variations!!) From memory, there were 5 variations in the 'straight' wing, for the transition flights it should be straight l/e, no outrigger fairings, cut out flap (no fixed portion) and no vortex generators

Edited by Dave Fleming