"Valkyrien"

Vingtor

Nothing is like starting a new build. A good friend is currently writing a book on Norwegian Air Lines' (DNL) sole Sikorsky S-43 amphibium which was operated between 1937 and 1939. I have offered to write a chapter on modelling this aircraft type, and thus I have to build the model first.

Here's a photo of the original:

LN-DAG_01_800.jpg

I have two kits of the S-43, the first one from Sword and the second from Special Hobby.

Valkyrien_01_800.png

Valkyrien_02_800.png

The kits are of course the same, apart from an etched metal fret that is included in the SH kit but not in the Sword kit.

Valkyrien_03_800.jpg

Valkyrien_04_800.jpg

Valkyrien_05_800.jpg

Valkyrien_06_800.jpg

Regarding decals, Special Hobby planned to release the kit with DNL decals a couple of years ago, and I sent them all my references. However no new boxing and decals appeared. Fortunately, Lima November will print decals for this plane, provided that "someone I know" do the artwork.

Nils

I started off with some body work. Many aircraft, including Valkyrien, did not have the window ahead of the right mainwheel. I thus cemented the transparency in place, filled the joint with putty and sanded smooth. Also some ejector pin marks on the inside was treated with.

Valkyrien_07_800.jpg

With the fuselage half "fixed" I will now focus on the wings. A rather unconventional section to start with, I admit.

The manufacturer has provided marks in the plastic where rigging wires should be attached. This is handy if you use stretched sprue. However I will use thread and thus have to drill holes through the wings and floats. Unfortunately only single marks are made for the float rigging instead of double which would have been correct since the wires are double. I thus filled the marks with milliput because I planned to drill out new holes, one on each side of the original.

Valkyrien_08_800.jpg

However I figured out that it would be better to drill out holes in the original marks, with a new hole beside.

Valkyrien_09_800.jpg

Nils

I wish my cutting matt was a clean as yours

Truth is, I have one cutting mat used as photo background only. The other, that I use for modelling, is in a quite different shape.

Nils